Airfix Booth crane

I am starting a rebuild of my old Airfix/Dapol booth crane and i was curious as to whether or not i could use an old OO scale A4 tender chassis for my 0-8-0 crane chassis any input guys ??

martin

Guest Max Stafford

It's your layout Martin, do it if you want to. As long as you're ready to make a few modifications to the chassis, you shouldn't have any major problems. One of the variants appears to have an 8 wheel rigid chassis in real life in any case.

Dave.

What he said, up there in the NorthWest...

I've ummed and ahhed (?) about this myself a few times, mainly as a nice wee project for the autumn nights, rather than as an essential layout must-have. My thinking - mainly for better running qualities I freely admit - was to go down the stripped and re-detailed 8-wheel steam tender route for the chassis.

This was nurtured by the sight, over three years' daily commute, of an abandoned yellow Rodley crane in Wembley down CCE sidings, although, saying that - I'd be happy to chance a freelance sixties one in black anyway, to pose with track panels on Sunday possession set pieces on the layout. So, how long is it 'til autumn anyway? wink.gif

I'll post a photo of my own effort when I can , but I based it on an old article in Model Rail, and used scratchbuilt plasticard sideframes , with Stanier tender axleboxes stuck in place (I forget why I ordered a pack of Stanier axleboxes...)

One word of warning - I needed flangeless centre wheels to get it round curves. Since this could not be done with Romfords (I don't have access to machine tools) I was compelled to reuse the wheels supplied by Dapol - as they were plastic, I could remove the flange with a craft knife

I am starting a rebuild of my old Airfix/Dapol booth crane and i was curious as to whether or not i could use an old OO scale A4 tender chassis for my 0-8-0 crane chassis any input guys ??

martin

The axlebox / spring / hangers are pretty well identical to MR tender ones - which were / are available in 4mm. scale from Slaters.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

Thanks for all the input guys I think i will stick with the MR rebuilt and some Fowler springs and axle boxes from Comet . I do like the idea of center flange-less wheels though , I was going to see if I could put a bit of sideways play in them but that idea is better :-)) Thanks to all .......... AGAIN:-)

martin

Archived