New church kit

Here are a few quick shots of my new Church kit. It should be available towards the end of this week (I'm just finishing off the instructions). Initially I'll be releasing it in TX47 Coursed rubble (pictured) and TX55 Flint but any other texture suggestions are welcome...

Basic OO dimensions are as follows:

365mm long x 160mm wide and the tower is 255mm high.

Church01.jpgChurch04.jpg

Church02.jpgChurch03.jpg

• RMweb Gold

John,

This looks excellent, as always, though I'm curious as to how the insides will be seen.

However, and please don't take this as a criticism, more an observation, the whole benefit (as I perceive it) of the general Scalescenes products are they are for multi-repeated construction - retaining walls, terraced houses, etc. This one kit is possibly not very adaptable in the enlargement category - it seems to be a complete unit that any extension to would distort the proportions.

On a personal wishlist, I would like to see such buildings as 1970's 2/3 bed semis and small 1950's detatached bungalows - buildings where the essence of a very standard design is repeated along street after street.

Cheers

Stu

Guest Moria

wow Stunning.. love the stained glass

Will you also be doing it in N (assume so) and maybe have a lychgate and some gravestone markers for outside??

The interior looks stunning :)) congrats

Definately on my list to make.

Looks an excellent kit, John. Shame I don't have the room for it. :(

I would like to see such buildings as 1970's 2/3 bed semis

I do, however, have room (and a need) for these, so I'll add my name to that particular petition. :)

Guest stuartp
This one kit is possibly not very adaptable in the enlargement category - it seems to be a complete unit that any extension to would distort the proportions.

Many churches, especially the older medieval ones, were added to in a hotch potch manner over the years. Partly as money from new patrons became available, partly because congregation and diocese were responsible for different bits of the fabric. I can see scope for extending that one both lengthways and also sideways by adding extra aisles. Half the fun of looking at church buildings is trying to read the history of it by looking at the way it's been altered and added to. Granted, you probably wouldn't need to print off more than two or three copies though.

I am tempted, just for that terrific interior.

Me too, Mrs P wants one for her side of the layout !

Brilliant!!!!!

What a weathering challenge that will be. I can imagine many uses for various bits as chapter houses, monastery type buildings, public school walls and windows, civic buildings etc etc.

Hmm, don't know where on my 8ft 6" of BLT station board it will fit, but what a subject for a diorama.

Doug

[Stu - This looks excellent, as always, though I'm curious as to how the insides will be seen. Doesn't matter to my mind, I'll know it's there when I build one! After all, unless you lift the roof off of my goods yard lavatory block you can't see the bunches of newspaper on the walls, the graffiti or the puddle of piddle where someone missed the urinal...:)]

Rather Nice.

The tower has a good sized belfry, and there is a well lit ringing chamber on the first floor. The tower north wall clearly has provision for a spiral staircase from an internal doorway,and room for access to ringing chamber, belfry and tower roof.

I should very much like to see how this kit gets furnished inside, with full marks to anyone who includes a ring of at least six bells, and copious internal water stain marks where chancel, nave and tower roofs all leak profusely.

A trap would be the clock on the south wall of the tower. In that position the movement would have to be remote, or get tangled with bell frame, wheels and ropes.

:)

PB

Stunning, as usual !

Just a few observations:

Most rural parish churches were nowhere near as well built as this ! Walls were often a long way off true and varied in thickness. They were usually asymmetrical as well, with different pillar spacing on either side of the nave.

Churches are usually built over time, with the Chancel usually the oldest part of the building. Many Naves were re-constructed in Victorian times, and the larger windows of this design suggest this is the case.

The natural home of this church would be a large market town, possibly in the wool rich areas, as the combination of superstitious shepherds and money led to a great many fine churches !

A shame I don't need one though...

Many thanks for the comments. As with most of my kits I always try to include some level of interior detail, even though it is hard to convey in photographs, on a layout viewers can easily catch glimpses of a building's interior. Often the interior walls are integral to the structure, so really it would almost be a shame not to include interior surfaces on those elements.

I have included roof truss-work to stiffen the main roof, so it could be left as removable if you really wanted to go to town with the interior...

Churchroof.jpg

Really nice - and you could build a fairly good public school out of those bits too. That's also easier than a church because you don't have to stick them in a specific alignment.

Any thoughts on how to do smashed windows ?

well folks

its out and john has kept the price very low at only £4.99

i was expecting it to be the same price as the large

station,great value for money

for your cash you get a massive 31 pages of kit and 19 pages of fully illustrated instructions

my printer is churning out the kit now i will you know how it goes

• RMweb Gold

Church progress so far.

Roof and buttresses to finish, thought I'd just post a few pics to show the quality of the stained glass, absolutely amazing!

Waiting for a few items before completing the tower wink.gif

Anyway enjoy, oh and this is the N-gauge church!

KIF_0719.jpg

KIF_0725.jpg

KIF_0721.jpg

KIF_0723.jpg

KIF_0722.jpg

KIF_0724.jpg

KIF_0726.jpg

Mmm that second to last photo looks like the tower is twisted, it's not, posted that to show it is empty, which could be used for other things.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

That looks great. It takes me ages to do any of the kits, but here's you doing the church in a day or two!

Be sure to post some pics when it's finished.

Dave

Archived