Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Hallo all

Hopefully you can read this, and see the images it will mean I have successfully crossed over from the ???other side???!.

Just to recap on my layout.

The prototype (all totally fictitious)

The North British railway where eager to get a connection on to the island of Mull, to rival the Oban and Cal lander railway.Construction started to provide a railway from Locharlot to Ardslignish on Loch Sunnart. Construction started but was soon met by protests from local land owners, the area being prime hunting country, and the Lairds had friends in high places. The project was doomed from the start and the line only progressed as far as Glenuig.At Glenuig the line was prematurely terminated, but was opened to serve the remote community. With the arrival of reliable transport,the Village became and important fishing harbor and a ferry service was established to the small islands. The local ???water of life???distillery, ???Moidart???, soon had its own siding and this traffic ,fish and timber helped the line survive. The scene is set between 1975 and 1985, the transition between BRCW type 2s and EE type 3s.The traffic consists of 2 coach train, with the occasional mixed, two coaches and a TTA, a small goods service, timber, grain, and fish,and an engineers train.?�

Themodelpost-7480-12570154681196_thumb.jpg

4mm,EM gauge, the space of the scenic part is 7feet by 18 inch. . The layout is to be eventual DCC and locos are fitted with sound.

The track is constructed using C&L components.?�

The distillery building, is cut from ply, covered with embossed stone plasticard, then smeared with a thin layer of milliput in places. The whole lot was then stippled with a mix of emulsion paint and tile grout. The windows are from C&L and the gutters and downpipes Ratio. The roof is made from corrugated plasticard cut in to strips to represent 8 by 4 panels, and the ends are sanded back to represent rusted edges.post-7480-1257015477396_thumb.jpg

The distillery buildings are complete. After getting the roof right on the maltings, I thought I was past the worst challenge, then when constructing the large building, I tried to get two Wills slate sheets to join. After several attempts I found that this was virtually impossible and did the best I could with blending the two sections in with filler. I then tried to disguise the joint by adding a representation of lichen, I think its just about expectable, may be pantiles would look better?.

The wording on the side was done by first setting it out on the computer and printing, then tracing it on to the side with pencil, and then hand painting the letters with acrylic paint. The inscription ???uisge beatha??? is scots ?�gaelic for ???water of life???, whiskey.

post-7480-12570154877841_thumb.jpg

post-7480-1257015530457_thumb.jpg

On the old forum there was a great debate about the back scene, I can now report that after a trip of 1300 miles I have the photos for my photographic one. This in itself turned out to be a bit of an epic. I had arranged a weeks holiday in Scotland mainly based on Skye. We traveled up first to Oban and then on to Skye via the Mallaig, and call in to Glenuig fro the ???photo???the way. We would return via Kyle and the bridge thus avoiding the ??26 ferry fare. On the day the weather wasn't to bad, but with not good viability. While I was busy, one, with the camera and two, trying to sort out a problem at work by mobile phone 500 miles away, my good lady spotted something in the water. This turned out to be an otter. We watched the otter fishing for about an hour before traveling to Mallaig and arriving with seconds to spare for our ferry. After four days on Skye we woke up on the day we were leaving to clear blue sky's and good visibility. So I paid the ??26 again and went back to Glenuig for a second attempt, bingo. A bit of work on photoshop and I should have my backsceen.The final photo in an experimentation of what how the backsceen will look.

post-7480-12570155161742_thumb.jpg

I now have a set of good photos of the structures at Tydrum, Bridge ofOrchy, Genfinann and Arisaig. I think I will use the box and Station building from Arisaig, and will post the photos as an entry in the prototype section

I think I have waffled on long enough now, so see ya soon

Gary

• Like 8

Hi Gary,

Great to see your layout updates back up and running again. Those latest shots are fantastic. The Black and white shot of the 27 and the last one looking beyond the platform are truly amazing. After seeing your work and Daves photographic backscenes I can see the need to get mine right on Rannoch if i am to get it anywhere near as convincing as you have achieved already!

Looking forward to seeing more of your layout,

Mark

Thank you for all your good comments, and yet more offers of photographs, at this rate I won't have an excuse to head for North West Scotland. The trip was not just for the photographs, but as I have commented before my partner and myself love the place. Those of you who have not sat on the rocks at Mallaig or got on a boat out to the islands don't know what your missing, and its not all midges and rain!!.

Just a some prototype information, the platform faces on the West Highland extension are made from lime biased concrete. the exception now is Glenfinann that has had its platforms rebuilt.

post-7480-12571821576611_thumb.jpg

The model

first, the faces were constructed from battens of softwood. The deck, was made with 6mm ply, cut a few mill over the size of the battens and then a taper was sanded on the lower edge and glued on to the battens, this was the warped in masking tape. The edge paving was formed of individual pieces of 1mm thick card. The surface is made by spreading a thin layer of PVA then sieving tile grout over the top.

post-7480-1257182185838_thumb.jpg

Painting and weathering was done with emulsion and acrylics.

28 weeks till my next scheduled visit to Scotland, ( not as if I am counting!!)

• Like 3

Can't agree more re Scottish sentiments.

I'll be off there shortly for tips re the linkspan for Carls super ferry when it arrives. Have you seen the pics on his Heb thread in the Scratbuilding sectionsmile.gif

I'm also going to do some recording of ferrys coming and going at Oban. Bliss!!!

I think I'm mental, but chuffed I'm not the only one.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Gary :

I'd missed this layout on the older version of RMWeb, but am quite impressed by the beautiful work you've done on the buildings and scenery.

I'm looking forward to seeing your efforts on the signal box and station. What a fine bit of modelling.

Bruce

Hi all

Bit that I had been dreading, the rocky coast.I completed this sometime ago, but have only just found time to wright this piece.

I picked the coast in front of the distillery to experiment on. The basic shape was cut from polystyrene using a hot wire cutter. Random pieces of polystyrene were then cut and PVA glued to the surface. The whole thing was then painted with a thick mix of exterior filler. More smaller rocks were added using kitty litter (unused, thanks to Molly the cat). The first paint wash was airbrushed on and colored light brown, followed by a mix of dark gray, gunmetal and satin varnish, to give the surface a sheen.Further dry brushing to add depth then the tops of the rocks were stippled with yellow/gray paint to represent lichen. The Green slime,was produced with a mix of PVA and dark green paint.

The grass is from the Mininature range applied with an homemade ???fly swatter???applicator. Further vegetation has been added using sea moss and carpet felt.

I still have about twice as much again, of rocky coast to finish as well as the riverbed, and the water. For some reason I have made a start on the quayside at the station end, this is about ?? complete so I will be posting some photos soon.

I have handed the set of photos for the back scene, to a friend who is a dab hand with CS4 Dreamwever, so it should be ready for the printers soon.? 

I really should think about stock, i had saved up some trainset tokens to take to the NEC in a few weeks time, then the service light came up on the car, so bang go's that plan!.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent to see this back up on the new forum!

and with the construction details of the platform which is something I was going to ask about on the old forum, is the finished surface we actually see ie the painted bit based on the masking tape then? They look brilliant!

The backscene is coming on very nicely and makes these type of small layouts.

Hallo Russ

Glad to hear for you, i was starting to wounder were you had got to. The platform faces are just masking tape painted with emulsion and acrylics, i am quite pleased with the way they have worked out.

Now down the cellar, i have started thinking about water. The water in the West Highlands tends to be crystal clear, so i thick that getting the base right will be the crux of it,. in the past i have used casting resin but i am open to suggestions, so if anyone out there as any ideas please let me know.

Gary

Hi folks

I have had one of thous days when nothing go's right, and even my photos are not in focus,time for a beer i think.

For some reason, only known to myself, I decided to switch work to the other end of the layout and have a go at the quay. Having looked at some photos of the real thing, I decided to opt for a more modern look, the Glenuig authorities must have modernized it some time in the early 70's.? 

The concrete face has been produced in my usual way with emulsion and filler mix. Timbers have been added using softwood and various bits of ironwork using plastruct and plasicard.

Next the hard standing,first a check rail was soldered to copper clad sleepers positions along the siding at five sleeper spacings, this was spaced from the running rail at 1mm. The whole thing was then covered in a thin layer of Dass modeling clay. Now to the painting, getting the color of concrete right always terrifies me. I stated with a light stone color and then stippled various shades of brown and gray on the top. After it was dry it looked a bit patchy, so I toned it down by airbrushing it with a thin cream color. I think the overall effect is expectable so I will leave it alone now.

Looking at the layout now, I have noticed on big floor that could have been avoided if I had planed things better. After many sketches and several full size drawings I still managed to get the width of the water at the front of the quay to narrow. I had intended to put one of the Cal Mac island class boats tied up, but there isn't enough space. Perhaps the boat will wait for Glenuig 2, and then after seeing Clagmiesters commission I will base the whole layout around a ferry, the Pioneer perhaps!.

Dam, it looks like he's about to beat me to it.

Gary

post-7480-12583154786082_thumb.jpgpost-7480-12583155035277_thumb.jpgpost-7480-12583155249167_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folks

I have had one of thous days when nothing go's right, and even my photos are not in focus,time for a beer i think.

For some reason, only known to myself, I decided to switch work to the other end of the layout and have a go at the quay. Having looked at some photos of the real thing, I decided to opt for a more modern look, the Glenuig authorities must have modernized it some time in the early 70's.

The concrete face has been produced in my usual way with emulsion and filler mix. Timbers have been added using softwood and various bits of ironwork using plastruct and plasicard.

Next the hard standing,first a check rail was soldered to copper clad sleepers positions along the siding at five sleeper spacings, this was spaced from the running rail at 1mm. The whole thing was then covered in a thin layer of Dass modeling clay. Now to the painting, getting the color of concrete right always terrifies me. I stated with a light stone color and then stippled various shades of brown and gray on the top. After it was dry it looked a bit patchy, so I toned it down by airbrushing it with a thin cream color. I think the overall effect is expectable so I will leave it alone now.

Looking at the layout now, I have noticed on big floor that could have been avoided if I had planed things better. After many sketches and several full size drawings I still managed to get the width of the water at the front of the quay to narrow. I had intended to put one of the Cal Mac island class boats tied up, but there isn't enough space. Perhaps the boat will wait for Glenuig 2, and then after seeing Clagmiesters commission I will base the whole layout around a ferry, the Pioneer perhaps!.

Dam, it looks like he's about to beat me to it.

Gary

post-7480-12583154786082_thumb.jpgpost-7480-12583155035277_thumb.jpgpost-7480-12583155249167_thumb.jpg

hi gary

there are lots of calmac ferrys for you to have m8

• Like 1

Sorry Gary,

Could you get Lochmor the old small isles ferry into that space, it was a small boat?

It looks like Pioneer is next to go on the slip. I did think about a streaker but they never really got out of the Clyde/Bute area. On pure looks a streaker is better anyway.

Also I can't see any reason why they couldn't interchange for winter relief work anyway.

Is your next layout going to be for shows? If so it wouldn't harm to alter the ships around now and then would itsmile.gif

cheerio

Mike

PS Your railway looks better than minesad.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I has been some time since my last update, and during this time things have moved on. I have spent the last few weeks finishing the rocks at the front, and the basic scenery is now complete. I have started to build and convert some stock, and have a pile of Parkside Dundas kits to get through.

This last week i have made a start on the signal box. I have biased this on the one at Arisaig, although this has been disused, since the introduction of radio signaling in the eighty's, it is still relatively intact. The model is basically plasticard, the planks been scored on. ? I am just about to tackle the brackets under the eaves, they look fiddly, only the next few hours will tel whether i am successful, or give up and go down the pub.

The loco fleet is about to expend, with the arrival of a class 26 , as i here thousands of screams of ???rare for the West Highland???, yes they were, but they were not totally unknown to venture to Fort William. The Bachmann coach wheels are standing by for the EM conversion, and I'd better make it a Haymarket one.

post-7480-12620115757678_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12620116656261_thumb.jpg

A veiw looking towards the station, the patch of ground on the left is the site of the signal box

post-7480-12620116857932_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12620117029855_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Gary,

I think Glenuig is looking superb the senic work and stock are great and it has a real Scottish feel to it.cool.gif It's a shame you haven't left room for a boat, is possable to make the baseboard a bit wider? Maybe curving out from the fiddle yard end to where the station is, just a thought.biggrin.gif I don't blame you for buying a class 26 either they are a great little loco, I bought one myself and I don't model the Scotttish region, not yet anyway.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold
The loco fleet is about to expend, with the arrival of a class 26 , as i here thousands of screams of ???rare for the West Highland???, yes they were, but they were not totally unknown to venture to Fort William.

Always nice to see more progress, -there is a pic of 26 on Glenfinnan viaduct in anycase IIRC, cant remember which and my books are all packed up!

? Thanks all for the advise on the class 26, just trying to add some verity to the loco fleet. A class 37 will complete the motive power selection. The debate about boats and ferry's go's on, if i do anything i think i will extend the board out at the front of the quay enough to get a model of the Lochmor in.

http://www.shipsofca...vessel=lochmor1

This was a relatively small boat but the board will need extending by at least 3???.

The signal box build is on its final stages, i resisted the temptation to give up and seek refreshment, photos will follow shortly.

Thanks

Gary