Trains4U Open Day 2010 - Sunday 12th September

Trains4U

Excellent stuff, thanks to Gareth and all concerned. Unfortunately the gloss was knocked off by me backing the van into a tree and the back window shattering! I tried to blame the dog but he denied all knowledge. Anway, another one next week please.

Thanks again

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Have to say it was a great day.

Thomas layout got tested...never stopped, seemed like the kids all loved it, so it does exactly what it's designed to do!

Just a big thanks to all the staff, for looking after us all so well.

Hope the day was a great success for you Gareth.

Nice to meet up with the fellow RMwebbers.

Again all I can say is a great day.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks to Gareth and all in the Trains4U team and family for a lovely day and hopefully worthwhile. It was super to see the shop full of decent and entertaining exhibits with lots of customers. Certainly the most I've ever seen in a model shop at one time.

I did get a brief chance late in the day to get around and grab a few snaps as a record of an excellent day.

Visitor's were left under no illusions that 'something was on'.

T4U19.jpg

Market Deeping MRC entertained a 360 degree crowd with Cannons Cross.

T4U1.jpg

T4U2.jpg

Hornby Mag editor Mike Wild brought along his Berrybridge 75 hour layout complete with brand new Bachy 03 on display

T4U4.jpg

T4U3.jpg

Maybe we should have an RMweb vs Customers Scalextric challenge?

T4U5.jpg

Harbourne WR BLT

T4U6.jpg

Alex Hall's Ringburn (Yard) demands intense concentration.

T4U7.jpg

Ian (Redgate) is looking for Summat.

T4U8.jpg

Macclesfield and District Modellers epic Runswick Leamside was heaved up the mezzanine and now forms a permanent display, the largest shop layout? Unless you know better)

T4U12.jpg

T4U11.jpg

T4U10.jpg

T4U9.jpg

Ian (Traction) gets a brief respite from entertaining a throng of youngsters.

T4U13.jpg

Dave O'Rourke's Poulton Bank is a North Notts shed in the steam era with scratchbuilt coaling tower and ash plant.

T4U14.jpg

T4U15.jpg

T4U16.jpg

T4U17.jpg

T4U18.jpg

Well done to all other exhibitors who supported the event. May Trains4U go from strength to strength!

Thanks Tom, Not the most flattering picture!

A massive THANKYOU to everyone who turned up today to support us, both exhibitors and customers.

In the end we had eight layouts, New items on display for Hornby, Airfix and Scalextric - including the first outing of a complete Airfix 1:48 Sea Vixen.

Dynamis demo and Q&A from Bachmann, local artist Keith Hil working on a new painting and of course the steam traction engine! - were it not for difficulty obtaining track for the day, there would have been a 7 1/4" railway out front too... Maybe next year!

I'm overjoyed with the way the day went and all of the organisation was well worth it. The atmosphere was great, all the exhibitors said how refreshing it was to be able to talk to people properly and to offer advice and inspiration - Traction's N gauge layout is sure to encourage a lot of new N gauge layouts (And arguments between between parents!) and a number of people commented on how it was better than a lot of exhibitions you need to pay to attend!

We did have one sourpus though who said "After having travelled all this way, I'm a bit disappointed" - What did he expect! a free show, with free food and drink, and exhibition quality layouts... We never professed to be like Warley! - but then you always get one don't you.

Thanks once again and I hope everyone who came along enjoyed themselves and the exhibits and went away happy. I'm hopeful we've found a big bunch of new customers and people went away inspired and raring to get that railway (or scalextric) going soon.

I just wish I'd had more time to take some photos :(

Roll on next year!

Just to add, Dave O'Rourke's Poulton Bank made it's debut today. This is the first time it has been seen by anyone other than his family.

He has always done continental and this is his first ever foray into British outline modelling.

He was worried that people might rip it to shreds pointing out all sorts of mistakes, but I think its a wonderful little layout, particularly the scratchbuilt coaling tower and ash plant.

I'm hopeful that it will get plenty of invitations for future exhibitions.

• RMweb Premium

Just to add, Dave O'Rourke's Poulton Bank made it's debut today. This is the first time it has been seen by anyone other than his family.

He has always done continental and this is his first ever foray into British outline modelling.

He was worried that people might rip it to shreds pointing out all sorts of mistakes, but I think its a wonderful little layout, particularly the scratchbuilt coaling tower and ash plant.

I'm hopeful that it will get plenty of invitations for future exhibitions.

I must say that the layout you just mentioned was a joy to look at and has sent my brain working over time think where could I store a 8ft x 2ft layout as I would like to do the same sort of layout. Some day.

Terry.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add my vote of thanks to Gareth and frends, family and everyone else he roped into helping on the day. I think I speak for all the exhibitors in that we had a fantastic day, were well looked after while we played trains B)

The attendance was huge, it will take quite a few days for that smile to be wiped from Gareth's face once he tots up the days takings :lol:

A few snaps of my own, there are more Summat Colliery specific ones in my modelling and Summat Colliery blogs

post-6717-042498500 1284363598_thumb.jpg

Summat Colliery

post-6717-006583600 1284363656_thumb.jpg

Poulton Bank

post-6717-050183100 1284363694_thumb.jpg

Thomas and (quite a lot of) Friends

post-6717-062174100 1284363741_thumb.jpg

post-6717-053064300 1284363753_thumb.jpg

Harbourne

post-6717-067358400 1284363778_thumb.jpg

post-6717-073913700 1284363795_thumb.jpg

post-6717-083064300 1284363807_thumb.jpg

Cannon Cross

post-6717-065189200 1284364004_thumb.jpg

post-6717-024624900 1284364016_thumb.jpg

Berrybridge with new Bachmann 03

Managed to get away with only spending about 11 quid on bits and bobs but have a sore throat today from all that talking :D

Thanks to RegateModels I saw my first DCC sound steam engine! Very impressed……

You mean you didn't go home with one - I'm sure I could have persuaded you to buy a Black 5...

Thanks for making the trip up, its always appreciated. See you next year? - Perhaps dragging Boxenby along with you?

I'd also like to add, following a count up, we managed to raise approx £220 for Help for Heroes over the course of the day.

So thanks to all the manufacturers and suppliers who donated prizes and everyone who brought a raffle ticket, took part in the colouring competition, or just put a little something in the bucket.

The Raffle will be drawn on Tuesday by an independent person and witness.

I'd also like to add thanks to my family - My Mother, for feeding and watering everyone, my Wife, for putting up with my workload also all of the T4U crew, My dad Steve, Joanne, Zoe, Tom, Alex, Matthew plus some fabulous volunteers in the form of Helen, Mike and Jonathan who all helped the day run smoothly.

Also to Andy York for making the trip from Stafford to educate people in the dark arts of weathering and scenics.

I'll shut up now before it turns into a oscars style speech...

Sorry I didn't manage to get there, Gareth & Steve. We had a skeleton crew for our stand at the N gauge event (me on Saturday, Ben on Sunday) and I had stuff to catch up on Sunday. Glad to hear it all went well. Will be in to buy a Hawksworth or two tomorrow.

CHRIS LEIGH

I would also like to thank Gareth for putting on a superb show yesterday, along with the layout operators, all of whom were most helpful in answering questions about their layouts.

It was also nice to meet our great leader Andy in person for the first time, whilst he was demonstrating the finer points of ballasting track.

As for the numpty who was "Disappointed" at what was happening, one wonders where he goes to get his modelling supplies. Obviously, Gareth, you will have to put on a Carvery at next years event!

Redgate Models did well to get away with only spending £11, my wallet was considerably lighter when I came home!!

It was a fantastic day out and I hope to be able to come to any future event.

Brian

As for the numpty who was "Disappointed" at what was happening, one wonders where he goes to get his modelling supplies. Obviously, Gareth, you will have to put on a Carvery at next years event!

Maybe there wasn't enough Tri-ang for him.

Guest Austerity94

Hi folks,

Just to add another voice of support for yesterday's events. Good layouts, good food and good folk.

Great to meet a few other people from here too. I wonder just how many adults really enjoyed the Thomas layout ... (I am one who did)

Funny, when I read the first comment about the 'sourpuss', I too thought 'Tri-ang'!

Only downside for me was that I can see myself in one of Andy's pics and now I think, "is my hair really thinning out that quickly"? The camera is so unfair!!!

Again, another good day. Thanks to all at Trains4u, RMWeb and the various exhibitors for making it happen.

Regards,

Alex.

Along with the rest of the Leamsiders I had a great time. Unfortunately we didn't have sufficient team members (or stock) with us to provide a full exhibition running schedule but, from our point of view, it was nice to take it easy and chat to people - something we rarely got a chance to do when the layout was on the circuit.

Many thanks to Gareth, Steve and the rest of the team for looking after us and for providing a comfortable retirement home for Leamside.

Archived