Class 50's in large Logo livery

winterbournecm

Hi

Im putting together an article for Traction mag set in 1980 and was surprised to research that 50023 was painted into large logo as long ago as the summer of 1980. I also noted that there wasn't a period when all of the class carried large logo. 50013 was still in all over blue, refurbished with a headlight, when 50007 Hercules became (throat clearance) Sir Edward Elgar.

I have never seen a picture featuring both 50013 in BR blue & 50007 in green. Can anyone enlighten me? They would have been running around together like this for about 5 months. I cannot remember seeing them together in Cornwall, but maybe someone has.

Cheers

Hi Craig

If your article is set in 1980 thats 4 years before S.E.E was unveiled in green. 50023 was painted into LL in september 1980

However there were morfe than 50013 still in blue when S.E.E was unveiled those being

50001, 50013, 50019 and 50047. 50006 was repainted in february as was 007.

HTH

Jim

My personal records suggest that after being refurbished (the 7th class 50 to be so treated) 50023 was painted into a one-off "pre-large logo" livery in September 1980.

This was basically all over blue, blue roof, yellow cabs, small numbers and small BR arrows.

I believe it ran like this untill September 1984 at the very latest.

Maybe 50007 and 50023 simply did not cross paths during those 5 months. :unsure: If they did somebody's likely to have a pic of them.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

My personal records suggest that after being refurbished (the 7th class 50 to be so treated) 50023 was painted into a one-off "pre-large logo" livery in September 1980.

This was basically all over blue, blue roof, yellow cabs, small numbers and small BR arrows.

I believe it ran like this untill September 1984 at the very latest.

Sorry Vac.

British Rail in Colour 1968-1980 page 110 shows 50023 departing Sheffield on 3 Sept 1980 in normal large logo. In addition Modern Railways November 1980 page 519 shows 50023 at Exeter on 17 September 1980 in large logo. Another photo from October 1980 is at this link.

I'm sure I've seen one photo of 50023 in the livery you describe but that was only while at Doncaster Works and it didn't last more than a few days. See this link.

To answer Winterbourne.

The nearest I can do for you is a photo of 50013 at Plymouth on 28 January 1984 in all over blue with six photos later, at the end of the same print film, 50007 at Old Oak Common turntable the next day as Hercules only a few days before she was towed to Laira for the green repaint.

I must have checked my notes in too much of a hurry before....

After my 1980 sighting of 50023 I didn't see her again untill September 1981, by which time she was in the large logo livery.

So you're quite right, it must only have stayed in the pre-large logo colours for a very short while.

I had Howe again in August 1984 and I noted it was in large logo colours, but with a blue roof.

I'm sorry about the confussion. :blush:

Thanks for all the comments - our memories are bound to be a bit cloudy - it was 25 - 30 years ago after all. Thanks goodness that original colour scheme for the 50's didnt prevail, it looked awful. I remember seeing 50023 in proper large logo and thinking wow. But then, I was 12 at the time!

I appreciate any comments, and would love a picture too.

Archived