Flangeless wheels

I am in need of two sets of 14 MM flange-less pin point wheels for my crane project . it has great difficulty going around my layout curves and i think if I replace the two inner sets with flange less wheels that may solve my problem ?? I have tried to grind down an extra set I had but The outer ring flew off into oblivion and the second set the center plastic bit that holds the axle melted ?? Soooo can any one offer any suggestions or where i Might find the flange less wheels please :-0

Thanks martin

post-1016-018429800 1284946872_thumb.jpg

I think the Bachmann Thomas series 6-wheel coaches (Emily's coaches) use a flangeless centre axle. I should have one lying around at home. If I can find it you are welcome to it.

Edit: I see you need two sets - I'm sure I only have the one (but you are still welcome to it).

Adrian

I have seen some old tender drives that had a dummy set of middle wheels these didn't rotate and had the bottom part of the flange off. From the side they look like flanged wheels but they don't quite touch the track.

I hadexactly the same problem with exactly the same project (modification of Dapol crane kit to correct rigid 8 wheel)

I'm afraid I ended up using the Dapol wheels (plastic on steel axle), and removing the flanges on the centre two with a sharp craft knife.

How about making two bogie's for the crane, nothing special just two plasticard box's with bearings in them.

OzzyO.

Could do the tramcar method the pivot point could be above the outer axles of the twin bogies. Possibly less obvious that they move having quite large frames on the crane.

Archived