New Hornby 28xx / 38xx

Garry D100

It was in the display case in Waltons today, very nice apart from how much of the cylinders are missing on it. Would be nice to have spare complete ones in the bag really, over 1/2 of the frontage of them is missing to get it around curves. I know this is a difficult area from my Finney one but that can do nearly 3'6 in P4 still.

It has the same annoying connection as the Castle and some of the transit bracket screws may be thread stripped from what the guys in Waltons were saying about the one they put on display.

In one of those photos, small as it is, you can just make out a fine mould join on the first section of the boiler, just like the Castles seem to have between the top of the boiler and the handrail (just like some other recent Hornby models have). In the Castle's case, I guess it's the join of alternative mould inserts for a choice of chimneys, but will the 28xx be having any?

In one of those photos, small as it is, you can just make out a fine mould join on the first section of the boiler, just like the Castles seem to have between the top of the boiler and the handrail (just like some other recent Hornby models have). In the Castle's case, I guess it's the join of alternative mould inserts for a choice of chimneys, but will the 28xx be having any?

Could be the other half of the boiler changing in this case for the different types of steam pipe or Collett vs Churchward support? The early prototype had a taller chimney I think but i'd have to check my Finney notes to see if it otherwise altered.

• RMweb Gold

Looks ab fab!

Obviously this is a specific loco, but the preserved 2857 (www.2857.org.uk) has two additional round cab windows above the firebox. Is this a GWR/BR revision, or something done in preservation?

The original 28XX locos had the small round windows above the firebox as they were a standard feature on Churchward locos but I'm not sure if this extended to all of them in as-built condition. Photographic evidence suggests they had been plated over by the mid 1930s but examples could definitely be found (albeit not on 28XX - I don't have many pics of them) in the 1920s on 'Saints'.

Picked up one this morning, (good job it's pay-day!) As ever its feast or famine, with new models now coming thick and fast!

Completely impressed by valve gear and cab detail, hopefully this will set a precedent for all future models!

Shame the gearbox extends beyond firebox. but I guess that was a compromise which couldn't be avoided (although Bachmann managed to overcome this in the 9F!)

I agree with comments over the cylinders. Would it not be relatively simple to have say three alternative cylinder fronts with full, half and no cut-outs for front bogie clearance. I would imagine these could be a discrete interference fit such that they could be changed as necessary.

Roll on the weekend,

N

Shame the gearbox extends beyond firebox. but I guess that was a compromise which couldn't be avoided (although Bachmann managed to overcome this in the 9F!)

I agree with comments over the cylinders. Would it not be relatively simple to have say three alternative cylinder fronts with full, half and no cut-outs for front bogie clearance. I would imagine these could be a discrete interference fit such that they could be changed as necessary.

To be fair Bachmann had a large motion bracket on the 9F to put the gear train behind, the 28xx is pretty empty under the boiler, the gearbox on these sticks out as much as on the Bachmann Super D. Its a pity they wont extend their tooling to custom gearbox designs.

You could probably do some sort of push fit though no doubt someone will ping off the full cylinder front when they discover their track laying wasn't quite a consistent curve :lol: .

RTR is a problem. Everything just keeps on getting better and is so inexpensive that the temptation to buy everything in sight, whether it is appropriate for ones layout or not, is overwhelming. ..

... Holt Model Railways have a few more pics.

You won't be wanting this one then, the rear driver doesn't fit on the rails.;)

I am always ready to make an exception for a goods engine from Hornby; in the hope that they might just be encouraged to do a few more. Anyway, this is Mr Churchward's masterpiece, a historically important design for the UK railways, and aesthetically the finest looking loco that ever emerged from Swindon. A grubby BR black one will suit me very well.

• RMweb Premium

Looks beautiful, bring on the black grubby ones. Perhaps a piece of soft rubbery material shaped like the front end of the cylinder glued in place which would 'give' when going around a bend but reshape when on the straight. Recent Hornby locos have been coming with a decoder cover which I have used to make fallplates, it does bend and reshape, but I would have to experiment with the front end of the cylinders.

RTR is a problem. Everything just keeps on getting better and is so innexpensive that the temptation to buy everything in sight, whether it is appropriate for ones layout or not, is overwhelming. Where's me pills.....:(

Tell me about it!!!

Ah well - one of these (WR ones!) will go very nicely with my e/c Castle!

....."Nurse............!!":lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

John E.

It will be interesting to see how things have advanced when comparing it with the previous Hornby 28XX which was quite good in it's day (and still looks OK).

While the bodies of current r-t-r models are slightly better than the '80s generation of Hornby models (which were generally accurate and with separate handrails and fittings) I feel the biggest advances have come in the appearance of the wheels, frames and valve gear. If you wanted a good 28xx before you would have to replace more or less everything below the footplate. Now, unless you change gauge (to EM/P4) there's generally little point in changing it. Of course, we've also seen the switch back to '50/60s style loco drive in place of tender drive, but without the 'skirt' or similar compromises.

Guest 838rapid

Have picked mine up today.

Most impressed.

A complete world away from the older Hornby model that I got rid off 2 weeks ago.

Hmm Wonder who does a suitable sound chip for it...

The red inside frames are a nice touch too.

Well done Hornby

Just had my sticky mitts on a mate's 2818 in GW green.... very impressive, Hornby have captured the 28xx's to a tee. As well as the general finesse to the bodywork the driving wheels in particular look great, can't wait to do a mucky black one circa late '50s / early 60s.

I was amazed at the quality of the cab fittings!

Nidge ;)

Just had my sticky mitts on a mate's 2818 in GW green.... very impressive, Hornby have captured the 28xx's to a tee. As well as the general finesse to the bodywork the driving wheels in particular look great, can't wait to do a mucky black one circa late '50s / early 60s.

I was amazed at the quality of the cab fittings!

Nidge

Brilliant looking pictures at Rails' site,

http://railsofsheffield.com/nrm-gwr-green-class-2800-2-8-0-locomotive-2818-dcc-ready-r2915-JJJA15118.aspx

am I correct that the 'Great Western' name was as used before the mid-1930s? Someone might perrhaps suggest a typical mix of private owner wagons or would they be more likely GWR or other more nondescript styles of wagon?

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant looking pictures at Rails' site,

http://railsofsheffield.com/nrm-gwr-green-class-2800-2-8-0-locomotive-2818-dcc-ready-r2915-JJJA15118.aspx

am I correct that the 'Great Western' name was as used before the mid-1930s? Someone might perrhaps suggest a typical mix of private owner wagons or would they be more likely GWR or other more nondescript styles of wagon?

Rob

Depends entirely on what sort of train it is working Rob. They worked both coal trains - quite a number of which on the GWR just conveyed coal or coal empties - and general freight including part fitted freight.

On coal you would basically be looking at be looking at South Wales based collieries or factors (e.g Stephenson Clark/'SC') although ideally you should be careful with the geography of them if colliery wagons depending on which train you have in mind. But who's going to notice details that esoteric?

On general freight the simple answer is just about anything, with the normal proportionate mix of the different company's wagons.

am I correct that the 'Great Western' name was as used before the mid-1930s?

Yes. Officlally the Great Western name was replaced by the roundel "shirt button" in 1934, but it wouldn't have happenend overnight and lowly locos such as freight types might have carried the written title into the war years.

Archived