Which 7mm 16t wagon kit do I buy ?

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm intending to build a 16t steel coal wagon for the Cement Shed layout. But which one is best for a complete novice ? I'd prefer a plastic one (I think) unless a very simple metal (brass?) kit is available.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Stu

Hi Stubby :icon_wave:

I wouldn't worry at all about getting any of the plastic kits- if you've done a 4mm kit then 7mm are a breeze- for one thing they're easier to see and handle!

Not sure exactly who does 16t Minerals although Peco do for sure and it looks a good 'un (PMP of this Parish did a detailed article in RM fairly recently about it)

Parkside kits include transfers which gives them an edge over Slaters, apparently.

I don't know if there's any etched brass kits but a wagon might make a better starting point for jumping into the world of soldering than going in the deep end like what I did, with a loco kit...:icon_rolleyes: :icon_redface:

No probs, mate... you do realise you're on a slippery slope now..?! :icon_mrgreen:

We all start out thinking "Oh I'll just have one wagon...." ...which needs a loco to pull it... and then a few more wagons so it doesn't look lonely... and a brake van... and a layout to run them on... and a second loco... :icon_lol: :icon_tongue: :icon_thumbsup2:

The Slaters 7mm wagon kits DO include transfers ; they are currently using methfix transfers.

The Peco O gauge kits have waterslide transfers and the Parkside Dundas kits have pressfix transfers (with some of the newer kits using waterslide).

Well you have a choice between the Peco and Parkside plastic kits. Both have their merits, but personally I would go with the Parkside version, I think I have built about 15 of them todate, and they build into a nice solid wagon which just screams out to be heavily weathered!

Just to add fuel to Jordan's comment about it being a slippery slope, it should be noted that people like Tower models do a discount for purchasing 6 wagons, and even Parkside themself do a discount for multiple purchases when they attend exhibitions, so it really does make sence to buy more than one kit! :D

Cheers,

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the help, guys, but I only need one wagon for the Cement Shed layout, just the one, that's one only... so there is no way I'll be tempted down the large side at all, ever, never - that is until I actually built it, I guess.

Progrss will be posted on here, of course...

Stu

Stu

You have not mentioned what period you are interested in. If pre about 1964 then I would recommend the Peco model. These were designed by Ratio - Webster and are of finer finish than Parkside kits. It is of a post war design with pressed end door and independent brakes. The top edge is an open L section - which is correct for all Mineral wagons - not a solid as on the Parkside kits. Unfortunately the solebar has RCH plates, but these can be removed - and the underframes from Parkside are generic as well. It also has opening doors which can be useful for diorama.

Paul

York

Thanks for all the help, guys, but I only need one wagon for the Cement Shed layout, just the one, that's one only... so there is no way I'll be tempted down the large side at all, ever, never - that is until I actually built it, I guess.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul, I hadn't even considered an era for the layout.

Originally, when it was going to be 4mm, I'd have used one of the BR blue locos I have to move the wagon around. But as it's now 7mm and I have nothing in this scale, then the layout can be any era the viewer thinks it is - I hope to make it fairly timeless.

So my choice appears to be either Peco or Parkside - I'll have to see what's in the shop biggrin.gif

Cheers

Stu

Stu

Thats what i said to the wife at the end of last year. Its only one wagon and a length of track. Now i have sold most of my 00 gauge stuff and have ten locos and many wagons vans and coaches smile.gif . Good luck with the one wagon.

Regards kev

Both the Peco and the Parkside have sprung buffers and couplings, but the Peco one also has working leaf springs :icon_drool:.

Regards, Martyn. P.S. IMHO the Peco one is also easier to build. :icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for all the tips. I've just checked the prices with Kernow MRC - Parkside kit ??24.95, Peco kit ??36.00. At those prices there is no way I'll be moving to O gauge, slippery slope or not !

Edit - But I have just bought the Peco variety... - on first inspection it looks just like the Airfix kit, only bigger...

• RMweb Gold

I had an hour or so building the wagon kit last night.

As a first time builder in this scale, I thought I'd add a few thoughts - probably teaching you all to suck eggs though...

First impressions are the body is fairly easy to build, all the part fit together without any fettling. The end door hinge pieces are very fiddly, and also seem quite delicate when fixed - not sure how far the end door is supposed to open but I'm not pushing it too far. The side doors were much easier to fit.

The underframe, IMHO, is not as good. Of the two solebars, one appears to have been stuck on at an angle (vertically, lengthways, it slopes outwards). I didn't realise at the time, as I thought the tight fit against the frame would hold it true.

I also don't like the way the very flimsy axleguards attach. For what is quite an important aspect of the wagon, to ensure smooth running, to locate these pieces on some very small pips on the back of the solebar is not accurate enough. It wouldn't hurt to make these pieces longer so they sit on the floor of the wagon, against the solebar, thus ensuring the squareness of the axleboxes.

As it is, one of the axleguards is not in line with the other three, giving a slight wobble. A test fit of the wheels, without the brass hat bearings does reduce this wobble , but I think will give the wagon a decided list when complete. In reality, in this instance, this is not too bad, as the wagon will not be moving more than the length of the boxfile and will only be seen from side on, but if ever I start on the slippery slope, it's something to bear in mind.

Enough waffle, some piccies.

post-7025-1257942755327_thumb.jpg

post-7025-12579427644904_thumb.jpg

post-7025-12579427708906_thumb.jpg

post-7025-12579427775102_thumb.jpg

Parkside kit ??24.95, Peco kit ??36.00. At those prices there is no way I'll be moving to O gauge, slippery slope or not !

... I have just bought the Peco variety... - on first inspection it looks just like the Airfix kit, only bigger...

Whilst I'm the first to beef at times about O scale prices and how high they are, you do have to remember that you have a model that isn't just twice the size (very nearly! :icon_rolleyes: ) but is also (almost) eight times the volume... so divide the kit price by 8, then compare it to the cost of OO gauge... :icon_winker: :icon_thumbsup2:

Whilst I'm the first to beef at times about O scale prices and how high they are, you do have to remember that you have a model that isn't just twice the size (very nearly! :icon_rolleyes: ) but is also (almost) eight times the volume... so divide the kit price by 8, then compare it to the cost of OO gauge... :icon_winker: :icon_thumbsup2:

Or you could detail some Lima/Triang O gauge 16T minerals at around ??5 to ??15 each if like me you are on a budget ;)

Phill :icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Gold

(... must not give in, must not give in...)

Managed to complete the wagon last night, all bar the two small grab handles and the three-links chains. During yesterday's lunchtime session, I managed to glue one of the axleboxes to the axleguards....... another lesson learnt for the next time (..must not give in, must not give in....).

Some more pics of what most of you already have seen done better before... just got to paint it now.

post-7025-12580148389298_thumb.jpg

post-7025-1258015074695_thumb.jpg

post-7025-1258015082574_thumb.jpg

post-7025-12580150897156_thumb.jpg

If its got independent brake (ie not Moreton clutch with cross-shaft) it should have 2 vee hangers per side I should have thought? One inside and one outside the solebar.

Odd it has a ratchet brake lever guard rather than pin and cotter unless some big 4 builds had this. Builders plate at the rh end there looks like a Chas Roberts type with the splayed ends.

Good work sorting the springs out :icon_thumbsup2:

See: http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p52739047.html for an example close to yours, there may be more in that gallery.

Well I think you have done a great job there, and I can tell by your comments that you enjoyed the build. Are you just going to paint it? or weather it to look like every mineral wagon I have ever seen.

Regards, Martyn.

Hi Stubby47,

The wagon is looking great, I have been thinking about getting a couple of mineral wagons, but was wondering if anyone does a Vac braked one? As I am modelling a later period.

Cheers Peter,

Archived