Outon Road

RBE

Outon Road Build Topic

post-6894-046188200 1289768361_thumb.jpg

Outon Road - Background

Outon Road was born of an idea to create a small easily transported layout/diorama that I could exhibit and also use as a backdrop for photographing stock that I had detailed and weathered. The 2010 challenge gave me an excuse and some criteria to work to. It was always going to be a micro layout so the 2010 square inches were never going to pose a problem. I settled on a 4 feet by 1 and a half feet scenic section (864 square inches) with two 3 foot by 6 inch fiddle yards, one at each end (432 square inches) the total when the fiddle yards are attached will be a mear 1296 square inches, well below the required 2010 maximum! As a keen modeller of the late 80's and early 90's I once again didn't stray far from my roots. 2 reasons really, 1st my big loft layout that will be started next year following a pretty recent house move will be set in this period which means that any stock I run on Outon Road I can run on the big un and visa versa. 2nd I think modelling for most of us (certainly for me) is an escapism and the railways of my youth were where my heart lies. Much the same way that the previous generations built their steam based layouts saying 'those were the days, those mucky diesels just don't have the character of steam engines', I now find myself saying the same of the class 37's, 47's and 56's of the last days of BR. I personally find little enthusiasm for the latest scene with the universal class 66's and endless DMU's/EMU's, which is a shame (single tear falls). Anyway I digress. A little chunk of the1990's will be immortalised by Outon Road.

Where and why Outon Road?

Well as a micro layout it can be kept out of the way (hence in my local tongue, Outon Road). I initailly evisaged the layout as set somewhere near Manchester. It helped to justify the yard shunter (08915) as a longsight loco. I also envisaged that I might electrify the line to use my electric locos too (the big un will be set on the WCML) but in the end I couldn't justify the electification of such a small branch (I couldn't even run an EMU!! as the station is only 2 coaches long). So instead as the layout developed I invented a small single track branch which lead to a tiny freight hub somewhere off to the right as you look at the layout. That direction would also be towards the end of the branch which once the line exits under the bridge to the right proceeds for about 5 miles then splits to either the branch passenger terminus some 10 miles away or the freight only branch to the fuel depot, engineers yard and minor distribution depot. The road bridge to the left as we look at Outon Road is the entrance to Outon west yard. The track splits as it leaves Outon Road station and both lines under the roadbridge are rigged to run in either direction. The left line takes passenger and freight services south past (or into, if the wagons are to be marshalled into longer trains) Outon West yard. The right hand track once it has past the end of Outon west yard (a run around loop uses the north line) curves north to join the main line around 5 miles away. Outon west yard is used by all local freight services as a marshalling point in order for their quarry to be forwarded across the network in larger block trains. This use of the local industries gives a good excuse to run short local traffic down the branch using a variety of traction and then shunt wagons on and off scene into the two small sidings at Outon Road in an attempt to simulate the marshalling overflow from the main yard. The overflow nature of the sidings allows us to imagine their use for the stabling of train loco's whether for the main line haul or the small trip workings up the branch. Nice excuse for light engine workings too!! In the midst of all these freight comings and goings we have the local branch passenger services, usually catered for by class 150 units recently desplaced by 156's and 158's on the main lines. The setout of the track through Outon Road loosely (though unintensionally) resembles the inglebrooke shunting puzzle with 3 tracks to shunt into using the station road as a third siding as it is part of the yard run around anyway. Hopefully with trains running through the puzzle this will provide interest for both operator and viewer alike.

Details of Outon Road

I've tried to convey the atmosphere of BR in the last days before privatisation. The railways weren't tidy places as I remember, especially the branch lines, and sidings were often a little overgrown. The lesser used stations often featured a few floral delights that were at home in cracked concrete rather than plant pots. I've attempted to bring these to life in miniature. We can see discarded oil drums, bits of random machinery, old gas bottles and even the rusty old VW that guards the gateway to the sidings. The permenant way chaps have left old rail and sleepers by the road bridge and local drunks have had a field day it seems with some traffic cones. The skip by the scratch built buffer stops is surprisingly empty (that will change!). Talking of the PW crew, they have the luxury of freedom. Each one has a hole drilled up one leg into which a length of floral wire has been threaded. this allows them to be inserted into various pre drilled holes around the layout. The holes are not obvious on normal viewing and if not aware of their existance are completely invisible. I've lost some before and I know where they are!. The variation is good for making a change and some photo opportunities like the one in this summary showing the PW chap with his boot on the track. Not a position I can use when running stock! There are several home made signs dotted about the layout (each repoduced from real life versions) plus ample graffiti (any names are pure coincidence!). One piece indicates MUFC and the year 1993 so sets the scene, however it isn't totally apparent and takes a lot to see. The station timetables are also minature replicas of real life timetables. I don't know which station though!! As for the buildings and bridges they are all of card construction. I usually cross my fingers and hiss at card and brickpaper as I've always been a plasticard and paint man myself. However for speed I dabbled in these. The main bridge is a kitbash of the excellent scalscenes bridge. I combined it with the retaining wall kit and increased its height to take overhead wires in case I decided to add them. I actually think the extra height looks better anyway in the location. The station platform is 5mm foamcard with scalescenes brickpaper added and a custom designed (using photoshop) platform top and edging stones. The factory is again 5mm foamcard covered in a variation of scalescenes brickpaper. The windows are from photos of actual factory windows. I was more at home with the corrugated plasticard for the top portion! Drainpipes were added using cotton buds with the cotton taken off! Geat source of plastic tube!! Bet you all throw loads away too! The station lamps are scratch built and the signals are berko with a scratchbuilt route indicator. To finish there is the stream and culvert. The rocks on the far side of the tracks were made from builder insulation (the stuff I used to form the banks etc) cut into rock shapes and glued on. Once dried these were painted flat black and then various tones of flat brown from almost black to very light beige were brushed on. I think it looks very effective and everyone who has seen them so far have thought that I stuck on real rocks! The culvert and stream were simply 5mm foamcard with DAS for concrete and the water was clear nail varnish with small sandstones for rocks and natural bristled nail brush bristles for reeds. Altogether I feel that the layout has come together well (especially as it was done is such a short time due to commitments). There are a lot of things that I would like to add and will now that the challengers are in!!

Number 5 is alive!!

Adding 5's for the birthday recognition of RMWeb. Well I've added a few. 1st - That lovely fruity drink Five Alive (poster on station wall). 2nd - Station starter signal identified as OT 5. 3rd - The engineering firm behind the station has the apt name Pentacle Precision Engineering. 4th - The number of trackworkers? 5. 5th - Routes through the pointwork (2 main to the left, 1 main to the right and 2 sidings!). Then we find that 5 is everywhere!! Unintensionally there are 5 warning signs (a stop sign, 2 on the factory, and 2 do not cross the line signs), 5 items of platform furniture (a shelter, 2 lamps, seat, timetable)!!

Outon Road in Pictures

Ok to the pics. I've pretty much described the layout above so I will let you browse at will through Outon Road and hope that it brings as much enjoyment for you as it has for me building it. Ok queue the take heart music and enjoy the gallery!!

post-6894-003849200 1289767862_thumb.jpg

post-6894-085507400 1289767898_thumb.jpg

post-6894-029482100 1289767929_thumb.jpg

post-6894-014197800 1289767959_thumb.jpg

post-6894-010161800 1289767991_thumb.jpg

post-6894-028883600 1289768029_thumb.jpg

post-6894-027099200 1289768075_thumb.jpg

post-6894-048640700 1289768119_thumb.jpg

post-6894-046457200 1289768163_thumb.jpg

post-6894-045377200 1289768202_thumb.jpg

post-6894-087974600 1289768247_thumb.jpg

post-6894-072023800 1289768282_thumb.jpg

post-6894-094237100 1289768322_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and taking an interest in Outon Road.

Cheers to all.

Cav

Archived