Hornby KFA's

martin_l_jones

Hello

I saw them on the Hornby stand at Warley. Looked very nice to me . Simon Kohler told me he is hoping to have them out before Christmas. They did have containers on them but I can't remember what they were as I shall be using mine with scratchbuilt tanks. Also the OTAs were on the stand as well. I think the KFAs were in blue livery but it won't matter as they will be fairly heavily weathered.

Cheers

George

Hello

I saw them on the Hornby stand at Warley. Looked very nice to me . Simon Kohler told me he is hoping to have them out before Christmas. They did have containers on them but I can't remember what they were as I shall be using mine with scratchbuilt tanks. Also the OTAs were on the stand as well. I think the KFAs were in blue livery but it won't matter as they will be fairly heavily weathered.

Cheers

George

Thanks, not to worred just wondered if they were different livries. I assume you mean the C Rail tanks, they look good loaded on the Megafrets, like the DRS sugar train..

Sadly the newsletter from Kernow confirms the KFA's and OTA's are 2011 release now..

I have done some mods to mine to make them more prototypical...

a037-1.jpg

a038-1.jpg

• Like 1

Really looking forward to the KFA for Warren Lane

Its been a good year for the 00 intermodal modeller.............Dapol KQA pocket wagon, IKA Megafret and Realtrack FLA..:) so I guess we can wait a little while longer.

Once the KFA does arrive I think it will be years before we see anything else FSA/FTA unlikely :(

KFA being loaded at southampton

post-9211-099287700 1290927983_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello

The tanks that I am building use the C Rail kit as a basis. I don't use the sides as the ones I am copying haven't got them . I use pieces of Plastruct girder for the sections from the corners to the tank, also to make the base. These tanks were used for aviation fuel. I have built 2 already and these are on a Megafret. The other 2 will be on the KFA as these wagons were used on the traffic flow I am modelling. This was the flow of aviation fuel from Purfleet to Georgemas Junction for use in helicopters at Wick airfield. They will be on my nerw layout of Georgemas Junction.

Cheers

George

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe too early yet but will the containers be the same height as the Bachmann ones? I understand the Bachmann ones are actually incorrect height wise (too big), will Hornby provide a consistant (but incorrect) match or not? I think Dapol are correct height too, my guess would be Hornby will go the Dapol direction?

Maybe too early yet but will the containers be the same height as the Bachmann ones? I understand the Bachmann ones are actually incorrect height wise (too big), will Hornby provide a consistant (but incorrect) match or not? I think Dapol are correct height too, my guess would be Hornby will go the Dapol direction?

HI All

As far as I'm aware they are the correct height and length, but thats as far as it goes!!!!

Unless they have had detail changes since Ive seen them last, kind of depressing really, but hay ho, i was told a container is just a container.

But the wagons nice.

Regards Arran

HI All

As far as I'm aware they are the correct height and length, but thats as far as it goes!!!!

Unless they have had detail changes since Ive seen them last, kind of depressing really, but hay ho, i was told a container is just a container.

But the wagons nice.

Regards Arran

OK thanks. So from what you are saying the Hornby boxes are nothing to write home about. I had heard about the wagons being good but nothing on the boxes, maybe explains it!?! I will get the wagons and ebay the boxes, im sure someone will want them!

Going slightly off topic just briefly..... I love the C-Rail containers/transfers range by then way. Another order coming in soon. Im guessing you maybe Arran from C-Rail or just a coincidence? If so are you planing any pre-liveried 40ft 8ft6 boxes in the near future to add to the tanktainers and hi-cubes?

OK thanks. So from what you are saying the Hornby boxes are nothing to write home about. I had heard about the wagons being good but nothing on the boxes, maybe explains it!?! I will get the wagons and ebay the boxes, im sure someone will want them!

Going slightly off topic just briefly..... I love the C-Rail containers/transfers range by then way. Another order coming in soon. Im guessing you maybe Arran from C-Rail or just a coincidence? If so are you planing any pre-liveried 40ft 8ft6 boxes in the near future to add to the tanktainers and hi-cubes?

HI All

When the 40ft high cube refers out and selling "pics of posted in small suppliers" i will look into doing the other containers .

If i do a 20ft it will give me the locking bars for the 40' X 8'6" and as i already do the floor the 40' it wont make it to expensive.

The same for a 20ft Refer, I now have the refer unit and if I've done a 20ft i have the floor and locking bars, see my thinking here.

Well there you go the =C=Rail= master plan, coz some ones got to do it wright.

Regards Arran

• 2 months later...

This is very disapointing news! I had emailed Hornby when the March newletter was released to ask why they broke their promise of a March release. They havent replied, not even to say when it is now out. I now see why, thank you for letting us know the news. I fear my budget i have assigned for two KFAs shall now be spent on somemore Realtrack Models FLAs! :D You snooze, you lose with me! (I have told Hornby they have lost a customer due to bad handling over marketing and production delays)

This is very disapointing news! I had emailed Hornby when the March newletter was released to ask why they broke their promise of a March release. They havent replied, not even to say when it is now out. I now see why, thank you for letting us know the news. I fear my budget i have assigned for two KFAs shall now be spent on somemore Realtrack Models FLAs! :D You snooze, you lose with me! (I have told Hornby they have lost a customer due to bad handling over marketing and production delays)

The production delays are affecting everyone, granted Hornby more than most but still. Its disappointing they are going to be delayed but they haven't 'Promised' anything.

• Like 1

I thought i would pass on the news i have got directly from Hornby since i made a complaint regarding the delay to the KFAs and VEPs. Edited from my email (gladly produce it all if required): Hornby says "The KFA Container Wagons 1 & 2 are now due for release in May." So a month earlier than June. Still far from the promised March/April date through the Kerrow Newsletter during the Christmas period.

They also apologised for there significant delays.

• 2 months later...
Guest jim s-w

You are only spiting yourself with that attitude. Why the rush? Thing is we all know full well that if you want these models badly enough to write a letter to the manufacturer you will still buy them and other Hornby products to boot. Lost a customer? I doubt it

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Have ordered one of each from a box shifter and they are on their way.

Hopefully, but I doubt it, I wonder whether the container spigot positions will mix and match with the Bachmann & Dapol Wagons and Containers and also the C Rail Containers..

Will soon see in the next day or so..

I received emails from Hattons yesterday advising me that two of the KFAs are now in stock. There were no pictures on their website at that time but it shouldn't be long ...

• RMweb Premium

Have ordered one of each from a box shifter and they are on their way.

Hopefully, but I doubt it, I wonder whether the container spigot positions will mix and match with the Bachmann & Dapol Wagons and Containers and also the C Rail Containers..

Will soon see in the next day or so..

Read on another forum that C-Rail and Dapol containers will need slight mods to fit the KFA as the spigots are moulded onto the KFA with the Hornby containers having matching holes.

Cheers,

Mick

Read on another forum that C-Rail and Dapol containers will need slight mods to fit the KFA as the spigots are moulded onto the KFA with the Hornby containers having matching holes.

Cheers,

Mick

HI All

It seems Hornby have missed the Whole point if intermodal, get it the Whole point. :P

Sorry i know its early.

Regards Arran

It seems Hornby have missed the Whole point if intermodal, get it the Whole point. :P

Sorry i know its early.

Regards Arran

Thanks Arran, the Nurse will call when it's your turn :lol:

Very nice looking wagons from Hornby and I'm glad they've done the more common Tiphook version seen in Freightliner and DBS intermodals plus the latter's MoD services. The fixed spigots are a bit of a pain, other than those supplied the only containers I have that fit are Dapol 20' on the outer positions. Sockets on Arran's wonderful boxes and tanks are a little bit wider apart than the spigots. Bachmann superheight 20' just go on the ends but anything else will need to have holes drilled to accommodate the extra mountings. The supplied 20' containers are difficult to fit on the centre position, I think the cutouts for the central spigots aren't quite big enough and mounts possibly a tad too close together. Bit tight fitting boxes door to door too.

A welcome addition to the intermodal fleet, all those spare Bachmann spigots may well come in useful now. That's if I can find the safe place I put them! Failing that Mr P can supply those for the FLAs

Graham