2nd Bishop Auckland Scout Group Exhibition

The Black Hat

Hello all,

I am pleased to annouce that the 2nd Bishop Auckland Scout Group is hosting a model display event on Satuday 22nd January and Sunday 23rd January 2011 between 10am to 4pm on both days. This event has been organised as children in the different sections that make up the group (Beavers, Cubs and Scouts) have all been challenged to make a model to display at the event. These displays for each section will then be open to a public vote, and a prize will be given to the winner for each section. By doing this the children will achive many requirements for the badges that make up the badges that they work towards. Even the leaders and the older sections are getting involved with this and going to build models of their own for their own display - sadly we dont get badges for this!

The event will feature two displays of collections, one of older and restored items from Mr D. Ward, and the other from the North East Meccano Society.

Finally, and of interest to many here, there will be FIVE layouts in attendance - two of which making their exhibtion debuts to the circuit. These include:

Model trade stands come from Darlington Railway Modelling and the Durham Locomotive Preservation Group.

There is a small admission of £2 for an adult and £1 for children with a family of 2+2 being £5. Tea, Coffees and some light refreshments will be available and any profit made from the event will go towards hall renovation work, and equipment for the children to enjoy across all sections on a range of activities.

Disabled access into the building is also easy, with the whole event on the ground floor and a ramp allowing easy access into the building.

I would like to thank the many groups who have supported this event to make it a success, being (in no particular order):

Timothy Hackworth Model Railway Group

Durham Locomotive Preservation Group

The North East Meccano Society

Darlington Railway Modelling

Charles Walton

Derek Ward

David and Edward Farms

Coming to this event means that your supporting a novel and creative way for the group to be a part of the wider community. Hope to see you there! :good_mini:

David F. Newby

Cub Scout Leader

Some sound engines to let you know whats going to be there:

Engines from Bishop Auckland (all DCC Sound!!)

Steam

A1 60164 Northern Star

A4 60019 Union of South Africa

Ivatt 4MT 43106

Ivatt 2MT 46441

Ivatt 2MT 46520

BR Standard 4MT 76079

BR Standard 4MT-T 80135

Black 5 44871

Castle 5080 'Defiant'

Fairburn tank 42085

57xx Pannier 7779

Diesel (Preserved)

Class 108 Unit

Class 04, D2258

Class 08, 08575

Class 20, 20042

Class 20, 20188

Class 25, D7638

Class 31, 31296, 'Lindisfarne'

Class 37, 37507, 'Hartlepool Pipe Mill'

Class 47, 47535, University of Leicester

Diesel (National Network operating)

Class 37, 37038

Class 37, 37114, City of Worcester

Class 37, 37248,

Class 37, 37402, 'Bont Y Bermo'

Class 37, 37405,

Class 37, 37411, Caerphilly Caslte

Class 37, 37515,

Class 37, 37688,

Class 43 HST, 43157 'HMS Penzance' and 43196 'The Newspaper Socity founded 1836'

Class 56, 56302

Class 60, 60007

Class 60, 60061, 'John Logie Baird'

Class 60, 60074, 'Teenage Spirit'

Class 60, 60077,

Class 60, 60081, 'Isambard Kingdom Brunel'

Class 66, 66079, 'Benjamin Gibert GC'

Class 66, 66522

Class 66, 66702, 'Blue Lightening'

Class 66, 66709, 'Jospeh Arnold Davies'

DMU (national network operating)

Class 158, 158788

Class 153, 153326

Class 142, 142096

*Not enough DMUs so expect locomotive haulage!!

Engines from Leeds Weeklyn Hill (all DCC Sound!!)

Steam

A4 60001 Sir Ronald Matthews

A4 60030 Golden Fleece

Black 5 45377

Jubilee 45593 Kolhapur

Castle 4098 Kidwelly Castle

Diesel

BR 350HP 0-6-0/08 D3105

EE Type 1/20 D8158

Sulzer Type 2/25 D5211

Sulzer Type 2/25 D7638

EE Type 3/37 D6707

Sulzer Type 4/45 D55

Brush Type 4/47 D1746

EE Type 5/55 D9007

EE Type 5/55 D9017

Hello, the Scout Hall is just off Kingsway, behind where the Citzens Advice building is now. There is an old people home, on the former site of Bishop Auckland AFC and at the end of this is the side road for the hall and a house at the end of the drive. I would recomend parking in the nearby car parks, which are less than 2 mins walk away, as the hall area is likely to be busy with traders and demonstraters.

post-7347-030025900 1291745121_thumb.jpg

Any further questions, just ask....

For those able to walk probably the best place to park is Asda as marked on the map below

post-6918-063240300 1291804669_thumb.jpg

It will be a 15-20 min walk but the car park is free and you can stay as long as you want. Where as most of the car parks near the hall are pay and display and I think a few are short stay only. Be warned Asda do give out tickets for parking in disabled bays without a badge or parent and child with no children but there is plenty of spaces away from them.

• 2 weeks later...

1 month to go folks. Leeds Weeklyn Hill is currently in storage for the xmas period (wil return in Jan when the dining table can be reclaimed), so work is focusing on expanding the fleet. An Ex-GCR O4 in BR Black with sound will be ready with the possibility of 1 more steam (local workhorse type) and 1 more diesel (another top link front line diesel) with an outside chance of 3 more steam engines appearing ranging from top link express to pack horses - should prove a good mix for people. 15-20 engines all with sound.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... less than a month to go!!

The Cubs tonight have been designing posters to go out for the Model Show. These are going to be put up around town tomorrow and next week.

Also, news from the Bishop Auckland layout is that a class 153, in Regional railways will be sound chipped for the layout too!! Although I reckon everyone will be there for the class 60s and steam engines done!

news from the Bishop Auckland layout is that a class 153, in Regional railways will be sound chipped for the layout too!!

While Leeds has had 3 more locos allocated from other areas. All 3 locos will be kept under close wraps till the morning of the show.

Almost 1 week to go and Leeds has another loco transferred in, this time from Longsight in Manchester (this should get some of you looking through loco allocations lists to find a transfer from Manchester to Leeds) this gives Leeds a roster of 18 locos, still an outside chance of 3 more. Good job I ordered some headboards as we will have a few named trains working.

Yes - town is covered with posters in the Library, Tourist Information, Windsock Models, and some 'establishments' around town. Surprisingly most of the rebutable high street shops and charity shops wont display posters due to 'policy' which Ive found highly disapointing and on the verge of writing to the towns chamber of commerce.

The good news is that its on Bishop FM the towns Radio FM station, and getting plugged constantly.

To think - this time next week, me and a few others will be locked in guarding all the stock for the next two nights!!!

I will be there both days with Leeds Weeklyn Hill, will be packing it up tonight to ship in Friday PM. Anyone attending do stop and say hi, especially on the Sat as I am working it solo - will have my dad to help on Sunday so feel free to ask for a "touch cab" iphone demonstration.

Around a day to go and the team is getting ready to prep the hall tomorrow, with the Bishop Auckland layout all but ready to go down, and the stock sorted for it. Even got the flags to go up into the roof and now the show is to be opened by the Curator of the National Railway Museum - I hear he does autographs for fans!!

The Cubs and Beavers have brought tons of models in so reckon the group will have 50 models that the children have made! Thats an incredible effort so please come to judge the winners!!

Leeds Weeklyn Hill and its fleet of engines is mostly ready to depart. However 3 sound chips for locos planned to appear have not arrived yet and have been told they will be at my house on Sat, as I live local as I will still be able to have 3 more locos added to the line but for Sunday only. Come along on Sunday for a brief sound chiping demo (unless we do them Sat night)

18 engines confirmed - 8 steam and 10 diesel with the remaining 3 locos all steam. Prepare to make some noise!

Spent a very pleasant hour or so at the show this morning, David and his team have done a great job, lovely informal and friendly atmosphere, great tea and cakes and the Scout groups have made some great models. Oh yes, don't forget DLPG and Mike in pleasant oppostion vying to remove cash from your pocket, Well worth supporting! Charlotte loved the Meccano K9 too. :lol:

Seconded, excellent show. Was quite busy through to about 2pm when it started to die down but there was plenty of people there to make it worthwhile. Here is hoping for a simillar crowd tomorrow and hopes for a an otherone next year are spreading - how about it David?

Archived