Ixion Mk2 Manor

steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium

Being selfish I hope that the production schedule in the factory means that this is quite some time coming. This would allow me to save a little bit of cash and get my hands on one as they do now look rather nice.

• RMweb Premium

Having had the pleasure of getting my hands on the model last Saturday night I can happily say it looks as good in real life as in the photos. As stated on Ixion's home page slight transit damage was unfortunately incurred. One big plus is the fineness of the wheels - not just the depth of flange and the delicacy evident in the side elevation photos but in the width as well. I don't remember the last time I saw proprietary wheels so fine.

It also runs beautifully slowly albeit somewhat noisily. Phil Badger did point out it had neither been lubricated or run in.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Factory hand-prepared samples of the three green Manors (with notes on corrections to be made) now posted on the Ixion website cool.gif with Hook Norton Manor to follow - I fear when that's posted my self control will melt away...

Regards, Gerry.

That is really tempting me to go to N gauge...

Go on, join us! You know it makes sense. ;)

Seriously, the quality of the new models coming out of Dapol and Farish is impressive. The only give away that they are N gauge modeos in many cases is the ugly Rapido on the front. However Bachmann have now announced that they will be producing an NEM knuckle coupler which can quickly and easily swapped with the rapido. To me it looks like the last niggling issue with N gauge has been resolved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quote from Ixions website:

A photo of the 3rd EP of the N gauge Manor in BR unlined black as 7823 Hook Norton Manor has been added below to replace the photo of the body only.

This decoration sample has been approved, as have the two Great Western liveries, and production has commenced. We only await a correction to the lining of the boiler bands on 7801 Torquay Manor before all versions are in full production, and a delivery date can be provided by the factory.

And very nice it looks too. There are only a few details that give away the scale; I'm certainly looking towards getting mine!

Michael

I wonder what my chances are of getting my layout working in time to welcome Frilsham Manor when it arrives? :rolleyes:

If the model is as good as it looks from the pictures, I will be at the head of the queue for a Mogul to go with it.

• 4 weeks later...

36 coaches before slippage started to occur. :O The beats both the Mk1 and the prototype by a very long way. If the GWR really had been able to design a lightweight 4-6-0 with that kind of haulage power then Riddles would never have needed to make the 9F. :lol:

The following was posted to the Yahoo N gauge group by Lindsay O'Reilly of Ixion and is reposted here with his kind permission.

The Manor achieves this performance WITHOUT any traction types. It's just weight, and the correct balance and placement of that weight in the body. Phil (Ixion Technical Director Phil Badger).

I have just viewed Ben Lawson 's videos on YouTube, and they show the Manor smoothly hauling 30 coaches around Ben's layout. Ixion's UK Director Chris Klein is here at my place in Australia at this very moment, and we are both very chuffed. The running vindicates all of Phil Badger's engineering choices. I have asked Ben to post the links here himself, but I will do it if he has his hands full with the Smallest Lawson, just 6 weeks old.

I should point out, though, that the Manor in the photos and videos is the 3rd EP (Engineering Prototype), not a production-run Manor, which explains the unpainted black livery. It is, however, identical to the production models, which are now being assembled.

I am happy to announce here now - and you heard it here first, folks - that the global release date of the Manor will be May 1st this year. More details will be in the official press release, which I can't release yet because I'm still writing it!

Cheers all, and thanks for your unstinting support and patience,

Lindsay.

Lindsay O'Reilly

Director, ixion Model railways Ltd

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

In a letter received this morning, dated March 6th, the following announced:

All four versions of the Mk 2 Manor to be released on May 1st to both north and south hemispheres.

Customers who returned their Mk 1 will have their replacement model dispatched in the first week of May.

Customers who used a credit card to secure their model but didn't receive it should contact Dapol to confirm card details.

Contact Dapol or Ixion as appropriate if you need any further information.

I guess this means I'll have to start worrying about funding the Mogul sooncool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived