Wheal Elizabeth

ullypug

• RMweb Premium

As always, I'm left with mixed emotions after York. Tired but happy. Sad it's over but glad to have done it. Was especially pleased to grab one of the silver bullets and after a re-wheeling exercise, it duly entered service on Monday. The three days allowed us to operate different eras on different days: steam and green diesel on Sat, hydraulics on Sun and air braked on Mon. The layout behaved itself with no major failures, just one or two AJs out of alignment.

post-6673-127058117001_thumb.jpg

post-6673-127058118779_thumb.jpg

post-6673-127058121994_thumb.jpg

post-6673-127058127218_thumb.jpg

post-6673-127058129105_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a note to say that Wheal Elizabeth will be appearing as a late substitution at the Scalefour Society's AGM/members day on Saturday 5 June at St Martin's Church Hall, Knowle, Bristol. It will be running in BR Blue guise and later (1978-1988). Next schedule appearance after that will be Scaleforum in September at Leatherhead.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bullet time!

I've finally got round to putting AJ's on the bullets and very nice they look behind 37415 too. Layout up and tested in advance of Scaleforum next week. Any RM webbers are very welcome to come and say hello. I may even have erected the long promised fence at the edge of the precipice!

post-6673-038611300 1284836786_thumb.jpg

post-6673-081175500 1284836829_thumb.jpg

post-6673-030607800 1284836879_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The various Diesels are detailed and re-wheeled RTR stock? Were any easier than the others or is it simple to do anyway? I'm a potential P4 newb living in the 'States which is why I'm gathering this kind of info.

Best, Pete.

Yes, they're re-wheeled RTR. I used a conversion pack from the EM gauge society which is an Alan Gibson product and involves a bit of work drifting off the original gear wheels and re-setting, but you can use pre-assembled packs from Ultrascale if you don't mind waiting for them. I've also used coach wheels from Branchlines & DC Kits in the UK which actually originate from New Zealand. None are that difficult to do.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blimey, is it really that long since I posted anything on this? Took me a while to find it.

Anyhoo, as I posted on my blog, plans are afoot to convert Wheal Elizabeth into a through running layout.

Original plans on the old topic as I can't find them on the new computer:

Old RM Web Wheal Elizabeth topic

The plan to use the wharf at the front will require too much work namely a new bridge, replaced old bridge, adjusting lighting rig, rebuilding fiddleyard. This is a pity as the track plan would work better. Maybe some point in the future. Keeping the original bridge and left hand end unscathed means I only have to convert the front dock road to through running with a girder bridge and a retaining wall. That would be common to all options anyway. OK so I'll have to accommodate a couple of scotch blocks but I can live with that.

The real reason for doing all this is the realisation that I've got a lot of North Cornish based stock in the cupboard and I need to have a layout to run it on. Also to stop myself from going mad operating at exhibitions.

I'm working through this in chronological order and the O2 is presently on the workbench, along with a stripped down Lima Cl 117 DMU car. This will be the donor for an eventual bubble car Cl 121. I've a couple of the Hornby Maunsell coaches too so that'll take care of passenger traffic. T9 will be after that.

So that's the plan. Now I have a baseboard too:

Progress may increase from a glacial rate to just plain old 'slow' soon...

post-6673-0-86101800-1297117614_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

sorry for the delayed response.

I use 2 No 30" 25W 'Aquadaylight' (fluourescent) tubes designed for home aquariums. I bought them from my local aquatic supplies store. They have a daylight/blue tint, but you can get others with yellow/red (it's all to do with what algae & corals need apparently).

They're made by Aquarline and the web address I have for them is:

aquarline@lycos.co.uk

The tubes each have a dedicated controllers fed at 240v AC. I have no idea what the voltage/current is at the tube, but the controllers come with sealed end caps. Tubes can be removed and put away. Likewise the controllers.

Tubes were £9 each, the controllers £15-20 if I recall correctly (2008 prices).

Hope this helps

Andrew

post-6673-0-92605700-1301861141_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

As you may or may not have noticed on my blog, I've decided to adjust the lighting rig after all. This means the siding into the dock at the front left of the layout can now pass through a new bridge to the left of the masonry arch in the photo. The dock will become the end of a platform (similar in essence to Bugle) but with no station building to date the scene. I'm contemplating running all 3 sidings at the right hand side end through onto the new board to allow a bit of variety in operations. The main branch through road will be at the front.

post-6673-0-47221900-1301929944_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Gosh, it's been that long since I posted on here that I forgot I even had a thread! I tend to post everything on my blogs these days. Funny how things work out isn't it? Links at the bottom of the page in case you're wondering.

The reason for this sudden awakening? Wheal Elizabeth's forthcoming appearance at RM Web members day at Taunton in April, or should I say next month?

Anyhoo, Lizzy's changed a bit since the last post on here; it's now end to end and having built way too much stuff for it tends towards steam and green diesels, with the occasional hydraulic thrown in for good measure. The current issue of Model Rail has an article all about its conversion from terminus to end to end. The layout is edging ever closer to retirement and I've got its replacement under construction at the moment as well as a sideline in the WCPR on the go. You can never have too many layouts can you!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the members day. In the meantime here are some up to date pictures for those who have blog aversion!

post-6673-0-04825600-1425189588.jpg

post-6673-0-08243700-1425189623_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-14812600-1425189733_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-90437800-1425189820_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-67374100-1425190021_thumb.jpg

Archived