Stubby's Micro Layout - Polbraze - Heading for Taunton

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

As previously mentioned, my already proposed new harbour layout in a crate fits perfectly within the rules of the comp, so I'm definitely in.

As is usual, I'll be doffing my cap to both the forum (expect to see Bob Webb's new premises) and forum members as a thanks to help & encouragement.

So, for starters, here is the part built pub, The Algernon Cuthbertson Arms.

post-7025-12584469799253_thumb.jpg

Stu

• RMweb Gold

This is the trackplan. The intention is to create the whole layout in one 'crate' - the front & left sides will fold down (along the red lines), the grey areas are removable sections of quayside and the top will form the support for the cassettes.

Trackwill be Peco, possibly code 75, but all points will be of the small variety.

blogentry-7025-12576853288413.gif

Not sure how to include the '5' yet...

• RMweb Gold

Shhhhh, that's purely by chance !

Just been & bought a diamond crossing, the rest of the track I should be able to source from spares at home. Decided on code 100, rather than 75, as it will allow some of my older stock (eg Hornby Dock shunter) to run as well.

After a quick measurement, I'm only using 1674 square inches, but I'm resisting the urge to go any bigger.... or to convert it 0-16.5 and add a length of 7mm standard gauge track.....or add a 009 track to the 4mm version....... (only got 11 months, only got 11 months....)

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Slapped a bit of paint on the A.C. Arms last nights, but SWMBO tells me the yellow is too yellow and not cream enough...

Also chopped a Dapol country store into low relief and gave it the first of a few coats of paint too.

post-7025-12585336850295_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is a 3-d sketch of what I hope Polbraze will look like

post-7025-12595859931831_thumb.jpg

The Harbour Office will be next to the two large sheds of Bob Webb, and behind the harbour the road will be raised up to give a bit of height and to hide the layout controls.

Comments always welcome.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yes, probably some fishing boats and/or private motor cruisers. This is the 'working/repairs' part of the harbour, rather than a leisure area, so no yatchts, so I'd like to have a boat tied up with scenes of maintenance, painting, etc.

The section of water between the double headshunt and the single siding might become a dry dock, either with or without a boat.

I've seen some possible contenders for boats in the Kibri (I think) range, but I've not really reseached this much yet.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The harbour office is now starting to take shape. I still need to complete the furniture, and install lights in the main building, and add the legs for the extension and bed in the steps and probably a few other things.

post-7025-12598425482582_thumb.jpg

Also, slightly surprised no-one has mentioned / seen the rather large figure '5' in the 3d picture...wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

This is the start of the boat repair shed for Bob Webb & Son. It will be clad in corrogated sheet, a la Keyhaven, with doors copied from Jam's Calshott RAF hanger, and probably have a boat inside being worked on.

I need to source a suitable fire escape staircase for the side of the buildings - can anyone recommend anything ?

post-7025-12600311531721_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting design!

I do like your scratchbuilt buildings, they are well built and look the part.

...with doors copied from Jam's Calshott RAF hanger...

It's interesting you have said this considering it is literally a folded piece of A3 paper!

You have now made me realise I can put a bit more effort in and try and create a texture for the door - I have just folded up the first half to test. Thanks for the proverbial boot up the backside!

• RMweb Gold

Jack - Thanks for the links - they look exactly what I'm after.

Jam - The doors certainly look better than just a folded piece of paper ! I'm possibly going to use angle section plasticard, for the parts of the door which are partly shut, and plain strips for the more open (closer folded) parts. I hadn't considered a surface texture - I guess metal plates with riveted detail ?

That's the beauty of this forum - there are lots of ideas that can be copied and nobody minds rolleyes.gif .

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu, I've now updated my blog to show the new texture. You can buy textures online as well, but you can copy a stock image and adjust it and copy it several times over to the required size. Then you'd have to alter parts of it to make sure it doesn't look as if it has just been copied and pasted...

For example:

millers.jpgpost-6776-12600997613156_thumb.png

http://www.undiscove...nans/index.html

Although this is in Scotland, I think it could give some inspiration?

I tried to do a small corrugated iron texture on the right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jam,

Apologies for not replying earlier - that picture of the shed is superb, exactly the structure I'm hoping to create.

I've got some sheets of Slaters corrogated plasticard to use for the covering; though painting it to look convincing will be tricky.

In the meantime, this old builder's merchants in Leeds caught my eye, so I'll be reproducing it as part of the backscene for Polbraze.

http://www.rmweb.co....mages&img=10354 (link to my Gallery).

Stu

• RMweb Gold

No problem :)

I'll be interested to see how you construct it - especially as to the finishing. A few broken/missing/badly patched areas of corrugated sheeting would look good too. I like the concept of this project - looking forward to updates.

Interestingly, i've just searched for a few more pictures of that boat house and:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3636942120_8da5142c7e.jpg

Gives an insight into its construction.

• RMweb Gold

Simon, thanks for your comment. I've very tempted to add a point in the fiddle yard to connect the two exit lines and complete the loop, rather than just having a cassette move between the two lines.

I am looking forward to the shunting possiblilties - lots of short wheelbase wagons and locos, although the main in/out traffic will be handled by Class 25 /33s.

I'm still pondering how to make the folding end/side sections, so they i) fold up properly and ii) don't look awful when folded out. Hopefully I'll get some time over the next two weeks to play with some cardboard and make a test version.

Stu

Re boats and small craft, try Billings, Zvesda and Quaycraft - sorry, don't have the web-sites to hand. Billings you may have supply problems with, I have some lifeboats on order for my business, and they have been on order for some time with no ETA...

Zvesda (sp varies) is imported by John Ayrey diecast who distribute to the trade, they do several boats and ships, I think their lifeboat may be most relevant to you, around 20 foot long in OO, plastic kit and I have adapted three for my own layout (coming on rather slower than yours!) into a small ferry, sailing cutter and fishing boat from the original [rowing] boat type format.

Quaycraft I have not bought, but have my eye on several small craft they do. I think they are resin cast.

You probably know about Langley's kits, I remember they do a cabin cruiser and a lifeboat, don't know how easily adaptable they are.

There was also an article in the Modeller some time ago about converting an ERTL Thomas the Tank character 'Bullstrode' into a proper barge, I got one some time ago and am at least 15% of the way through the conversion! If you can still acquire one these days, that would give you a hull c 5 inches long.

Guest 009matt

Apologies for not replying earlier - that picture of the shed is superb, exactly the structure I'm hoping to create.

I've got some sheets of Slaters corrogated plasticard to use for the covering; though painting it to look convincing will be tricky.

Have you thought about 'salt weathering' it is used in plastic modelling/wargaming to simulate rust flecks - you paint your model rust (or other colour), moisten the surface once dry and sprinkle on salt, paint top coat and once dry, wash in water and the salt will come off, leaving rust chips below.

Matt

• RMweb Gold
Looks like another gem of a layout!

No pressure there, then...

Gents, many thanks for your encouraging comments, I will try to live up to the standards you think I can achieve.

Huginn, many thanks for the info on the boats. I've not really considered what water borne craft I might need to add, so your post has provided a very good basis from which to start. A Lifeboat might be a really good addition - I was at the naming ceremony of the Rhyl Lifeboat on 4th July, 1969 (also my 6th birthday), and have somewhat of an affinity for this most worthy of fleets.

Marc, If I could achieve half as much realism as you do I'll be very happy !

Simon, I'll admit now to be intending to copy very closely the methods you've used for the inlaid rails and weeds - so more photos please.

Matto - I hope it's as good as Porth Byhan - Polbraze of course means 'Big Harbour'.

Matt009 - thanks for the idea, I'm in the process of cladding the sides at the moment, so might have a try at the salt weathering method later. I'll need to be careful, though, as the shell is made from card.

Again, thanks for all your replies, it does mean a lot.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've made a start on another building for the backscene. This will be named "J. Trollope Builders Merchants". A long way to go yet, but the basic shell is complete.

This is the prototype :

post-7025-12633043331088_thumb.jpg

This is the model (obviously !)

post-7025-12633043652317_thumb.jpg

Stu

Archived