Hinksey to Eastleigh in the snow

Excellent photos - I'm the NR track Engineer for the Southcote - Worting section & know the various locations well - usually carry a camera so I've probably photographed you on several occasions ! Particularly like the photo in the cutting just north of Basing.

I wondered if anyone would spot that, congratulations. It is a flashing yellow and I managed to press the shutter just at the right momentbiggrin.gif

Ah that would explain it!

Hadn't realised that would be fast enough to be a flashing yellow route, although I guess it gives you plenty of warning if they're about to send you the wrong way! wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

Great pics Brian..I managed this pic at Basing in the snow the other night while out on De-icing duties..

Lovely pics from you guys; I especially like the off the railway shots and the Worting Junction one is superb. Shows that there are some perks to working on the 'real thing'!

Have an all round safe and fulfilling 2010.

Mallard 60022

You seem to have spent a lot of time standing at signals Brian (including recording what will become history on Oxford Road Curve at Reading - useful one that ;) ).

;) Have a look at the colour of the signal at the platform end in the approach to Mortimer photo ;) - A quick in and out of the cab at Mortimer for the photo. Mind you, the local services cross there so it would have just saved a signal stop outside Bramley too I suspect.

For those that don't know the area - Mortimer station is worth a good look (at least 3 GWR vintage station seat) - decent shot in either direction, an excellent shot off the roadbridge towards London (I also hope to get the trees cleared from the London side embankment soon, to open this shot up a bit). The 2nd overbridge to the south (about a mile & located on a minor road to Silchester) also has excellent vegetation-free shots on at least 3 sides (1 up & 2 down). The roadbridge about a mile & half north of Mortimer also has good shots in both directions too.

Very nice collection there Brian. Gives a nice view of the route after some snowfall. No objection against more ................

Regards, Michel

Well you asked for itwink.gif Some more from yesterdays job. Again not in any particular order. Place your mouse over them to see where they were taken. I did get stopped before and at Mortimer due to track curcuit failiures hence the pictures there.

I too have used the Battledown flyover pic for my desktopsmile.gif

My camera is a Canon 30D and these were generally taken at 1,000th at 800ASA or a bit lower if I could. I could have used a slower shutter speed with everything coming at you head on but remember these were taken from a pogo stick, sorry I mean a 66. I did take these with the aperature opened up 1 stop but still have brightened them up a bit in Photoshop. The picture approaching Lichfield Tunnel through the window has had the snowy bit darkened and the rest lightened, should have used a fill in flash maybe but bear in mind I did still have to drive the train rather than worry about the camera!

The pictures of the 2 bridges at South Moreton are historical, or will be in 2 days time after they are demolished and both replaced with a single span bridges.

post-6766-12615915304065_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915332446_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915361292_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915388781_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915416854_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915445105_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915472257_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915498674_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915528287_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915703887_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915734679_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915765505_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12615915797891_thumb.jpg

Nice shots as always Brian. Amazing what a bit of snow does to the view in your viewfinder !!

Am I the only person who is getting horizontal white lines all the way across the latest batch of pics ?

Forget that - theyve just gone !!

Yes it was 60073 going for store I believe. It was a good screen for a change. You do have to put the camera up close to the screen to try and get round the spots and scratches on the anti spalling stuff though. The pics of the churches earlier were taken through the open side window after I had to fight it to get it open thoughangry.gif

Really really nice - the steel bridge with the BIG tree next to it is the one a mile south of Mortimer that I recommend is worth a visit for anyone wanting good lineside photos on the RG - Basingstoke section.

Brian - I apologise for the (tea-spilling) alignment through that S&C at the west end of Basingstoke - it's been like that since Balfours renewed it and glued it in place and there's ###### all I've been able to do with it (yet !) - BIG tamping machine in the new year. We're also going to replace the right hand 1/2 set in the Down Reading / Down Fast & Down Fast / Down Slow Xovers at the London end of Basingstoke with hardened steel versions and get rid of that 15mph TSR thats's been there for ages.

That 15 check for us boys on proper trains has only been there since they renewed it. Did they skimp on the quality of track there then? To me the "honk if your horny" bridge with the tree is just how a model bridge in a country setting should be. Mind you it hasn't done it any favours by putting up that pallisade fencing.

What was the reason the track went a bit wobbly between Mortimer and Southcote with the emergency checks on the up the other month? Is the bank slipping away?

Archived