Jump to content






Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Modbury Signal Box 3

Posted by Ian Smith , in Buildings 22 November 2015 · 756 views

GWR 2FS
Following on from the previous entries on the construction of a Signal Box for Modbury, the next stage was to build the Chimney stack and the supporting ground floor wall. This was to be a brick construction, so a solid core of laminated plastic sheet was welded together and when dry cut and shaded to size to take into account the thickness of the embossed brick sheet which was to for the cladding. After the embossed brick sheet had dried, the decorative string courses near the top of the stack were added from 0.010" strips.
Attached Image

The complete Chimney assembly was then added to the rear of the locking room.
Attached Image

An area of 0.030" plastic sheet was then marked out for the 'box upper, and the planking detail "scrawked" on before the ends and sides were cut out. The window reveals were carefully cut, pared and filed out before fitting the window sills from oversized pieces of 0.015". Once the sills were properly dry they were filed/sanded back against a "stop" so that the stood proud of the planking a constant amount.
Attached Image
Attached Image

The upper walls were then added around the base, ensuring that the framing added atop the stone walls was proud of the upper storey by about 0.010" all round. Strips of 0.010" were then added around the wall corners and around the window and door reveals to represent the frames thereof.
Attached Image
Attached Image

A roof was made from 0.015" sheet, the rear section receiving a cut out to fit around the chimney stack, and a pair of gussets cut and placed immediately inboard of the end walls to ensure that the roof was an interference fit (I want to have the roof removable).
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The bargeboards at the gable ends of the roof were cut and fitted from 0.020" for strength before setting the roof aside while continuing with further detail of the 'box ends by adding the vents.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Finally, for now, the vents were added in the ends. Firstly holes were drilled, cut and filed in the ends about 4mm x 2mm. A piece of 0.020" plastic was then closely "scrawked" to represent the vent louvres, and strips from this area of the sheet cut out so that some 0.010"x0.040" strip was added on edge around the embryonic vent to represent the vent framing.
Attached Image

The completed vents were then secured within the holes made in the ends such that the vent frame stood a little proud of the surrounding planking.
Attached Image

That's the state of play for now. The next task is to make the steps and associated handrails - I will initially make these from plastic strip, with a view to potentially having to re-make as a soldered construction of metalwork if they prove to be to delicate!

Ian
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 15
  • Like x 7





Ian, it looks like 7mm. Wonderful neat work. Those vents are the piece de resistance!

Ian, it looks like 7mm. Wonderful neat work. Those vents are the piece de resistance!

Mikkel,

Thank you.  I am particularly pleased with the vents - at the time I took the photo I had only done one end as it was a bit of an experiment and was loathe to spend time carefully cutting and filing the hole in the other end if it had been an abject failure :-)  Luckily it seemed to work, so the other gable end also received a vent shortly after the photo was taken.

 

Ian

Photo
cornish trains jez
Nov 23 2015 10:45

Very nice and neat and nice to see a step by step of how you did it too.

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

Looks good Ian.

 

You'll be needing to find a way to make the woodwork more opaque though before you put the lights in.

 

Regards, Andy

Very nice and neat and nice to see a step by step of how you did it too.

 

Best regards,

 

Jeremy

Jeremy, Thank you.

 

Looks good Ian.

 

You'll be needing to find a way to make the woodwork more opaque though before you put the lights in.

 

Regards, Andy

Andy, thank you.  I was thinking lighting will just a dim LED (it'll be dim by the time I've covered it paint to give a more yellow light) will be enough to show some of the interior detail (when I put some in), all being well the painted sides will not allow light to glow through :-)  If they do I'll not power the LED :-)

Hi Ian, I have to agree with Mikkel, those vents are lovely! I also like the ornate chimney stack. Impressive modelling in any scale, but remarkable in 2mm! Looking forward as I'm sure you are to seeing it painted:-) Dave

Hi Ian, I have to agree with Mikkel, those vents are lovely! I also like the ornate chimney stack. Impressive modelling in any scale, but remarkable in 2mm! Looking forward as I'm sure you are to seeing it painted:-) Dave

Thank you Dave.  The stepped string courses on the chimney stack are one of the things that make the prototype an attractive structure in my eyes.  Painting is still a little way off, although I have made further progress yesterday which warrants another entry :-)

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

Latest Visitors

  • Photo
    Branwell
    Yesterday, 09:46
  • Photo
    antyeates1983
    Yesterday, 08:02
  • Photo
    adriank
    Yesterday, 05:14
  • Photo
    wool
    20 Oct 2017 - 19:58
  • Photo
    2mm Andy
    20 Oct 2017 - 14:20
  • Photo
    relaxinghobby
    19 Oct 2017 - 20:19
  • Photo
    nick_bastable
    17 Oct 2017 - 20:49
  • Photo
    Avocet
    16 Oct 2017 - 23:51
  • Photo
    marinbromoz
    10 Oct 2017 - 20:48
  • Photo
    brumtb
    09 Oct 2017 - 16:28