As per usual life will through unexpected things in your way what has meant progress on some of the modelling project has slowed down. However, The carriages are getting there with the first 2 more or let done and another 2 just needed the detail to be painted on the bogies.
On a side note I updated the tower case for my computer and this left me with a spare tower with no real use. Then I had a thought, which is dangerous I'll admit, about converting the tower for a new use. Up to date I have been doing all my weathering outside as I didn't have a way of venting the fumes outside from indoors. I didn't have the space or cash...
So I have been Adding some of the EOT lamps from DCCconcetps onto some of my wagons. These fit onto the wagons pretty easily coming with spring pick-ups, wire, lamps, flashing device and a reed switch with magnets in case you wanted have a automatic switch on the layout that turns the lamp on and off. I see no need for the reed switch as in real life the...
So this weekend I had a slight opening weather-wise and as such took the opportunity to paint the coaches I have set aside for my WCRC excursion train. It took a bit to get the color right but I think I got pretty close. This week I will be starting to apply all the decals which I go from Railtec.
24 August 2017 -
Well now comes the "fun" stuff with making the finer details like the handrails that sit on the side of the bulkhead. Time to put on a good series and get the tweezers out. I found some .25mm nickel silver wire which is just about the right size for handrails in my reckoning. After making 30 of these with 2 spare I will paint them white tonight and fix th...
Well now every wagon has had the bulkheads fixed on and the vertical struts fixed down. Next step will be weathering all of them which will hopefully be something that can be done this weekend as the weather is looking good for it.
Remove the factory up rights and take the wooden decks off the wagons and replace with 0.5 thick styrene sheet and spray the tops with a red brown paint to give a base coat of rusty brown for when we get to the weathering stage which will blend it all together.
21 August 2017 -
Having now cleaned all the bulkheads it was time to create all the verticals of which I need 210 of them and with each having 11 parts to them that ends up being 2310 components to make!!!!.
Its a good thing I made a whole bunch of these earlier. Now that everything has been made it is time to paint it all...
So it has been a long time since I have been doing much with my projects as life in its usual way as gone off on a tangent. Lately though I have finally had a chance to get into my scratch building projects again.
Now I have been getting back into this project to make 15 KFA log carriers converted from cargowaggens. I have had the ends 3D printed an...
I saw this load and it looked like a simple thing to recreate.
The load is made using 0.2mm Thick Styrene sheet cut into strips 26mm wide and cut to varying lengths depending on the prototype.
These are then sprayed a gun metal grey and then using a nice reddy brown paint the rusting is made. The trick is to put the paint on the brush then wipe it all o...
Its been awhile since I have done any dry brushing as part of the weathering on my wagons. The skill is know what colors will work best, in what sequence they should go and experimentation is also key I find.
I have a few timber topped flat cars and so using the dry brushing method seemed the best as I have more control over where the paint goes than whe...
29 December 2014 -
One of the many loads seen on American rails pipes are easier to model than it may seem but as with all things it just needs a bit of time. I have made one form in the photo but I am about to make some other variants. If any one is interested I will take photos as I make them for those who would like to recreate it. Just let me know.
So as promised here is my work so far on scratch building my KFA units from Heljan cargowaggons.
I have made all the uprights for one car and modified the top of the cargowaggon getting rid of the timber layer and replacing it with a smooth sheet of 0.5mm styrene that has been sprayed rusty brown to simulate the steel plate surface that seems to have repl...
These files are stored on your computer and help remember your login name, display name and the site content that you have already read or contributed to. Without cookies we would not be able to tailor your content. These are not use to track individual usage or tailor advertising content.
You may see some site content provided by third parties, such as youtube, which may then place their cookies on your computer; please do not play these or follow the links if you do not agree to their cookie policies
To confirm your understanding and acceptance of this please click on OK to continue using the site. You should only see this notice again if you have cleared cookies from your browser. Members who are registered and logged in do not see this message repeatedly. To find out more about managing cookies within your chosen browser please visit the ico page for further advice - http://bit.ly/JJsSRL