Jump to content

The Fatadder's Modern Workbench


Some Lorrie conversions

Posted by The Fatadder , 03 November 2018 - - - - - - · 337 views

A while back I converted a Schudo Mercedes lorry into a covered tipper for use on my clay layout, I say converted but at the time I only did half the job. It remained as a 3 axle and has no detail on the rear door. 
Last night I set about sorting that, the first job being that missing axle at the front. In order to obtain a suitable part I turned t...


47768 A start on weathering

Posted by The Fatadder , 30 October 2018 - - - - - - · 399 views

Back in 2010 I made a start on improving a Vi Trains model of 47768 in RES livery, it has had my usual treatment being fitted with Extreme Etchings roof grills, Maygib wheels and screw couplings. It has also been fitted with the pipe which runs across the roof grills on some 47s. Unfortunatly when I painted the new grills area with Phoenix RES grey,...


A flush sided shark

Posted by The Fatadder , 28 October 2018 - - - - - - · 300 views

Another old project that I am trying to finish off (in between lettering GWR wagons) is a Hornby shark in Loadhaul livery. If I remember rightly the prototype Hornby released should have flush sides (else another Loadhaul liveries Shark has flush sides) 
The sides were smoothed off with filler and it is now in the process of getting the paint finis...


Virgin XC in 1998/99: The Locos

Posted by The Fatadder , 28 October 2018 - - - - - - · 283 views

On to the locos for my Virgin XC loco hailed service,  First up 47853, one of only two Heljan class 47s out of what once was a fleet of over ten (the other is in GWT and was my first complete respray). The loco is too late for 1998 being in XP64 livery names Rail Express (whose limited edition this was) the mode has been converted to P4 and has a Sha...


A soloution to the Kaydee problem

Posted by The Fatadder , 28 October 2018 - - - - - - · 271 views

I have mentioned previously that I have an issue with a lack of Kaydee coupling boxes relative of the number of coupling hooks I have available I think I have come up with a suitable soloution... 
It starts with a length of aluminium rod of a suitable diameter,
A hole is drilled in some plasticard the thickness between the floor and the coupling...


Virgin XC Formation - 1998

Posted by The Fatadder , 22 October 2018 - - - - - - · 146 views
Virgin XC, Coach Formation, 1998
http://www.railfaneu...RFB/1211-10.jpg As an interlude to the work on my mk2F RFB, a little background on the formation in which it will sit. The standard Virgin XC formation in the late 90s consisted of a BSO, 5 TSO and an RFB, however it was also very common to...


Mk2F RFP paint

Posted by The Fatadder , 21 October 2018 - - - - - - · 269 views
Virgin xc
Today I took advantage of the warm weather to do the majority of the painting on the Mk22 RFB, first priming the buffet area and then spraying the grey. Typically I have now ran out of masking tape so I can’t do the rest. I might just use a set of fox transfers to add the red stripe and touch up the yellow stripe My attention to detail is awful...


Virgin XC Mk2F RFB part 3

Posted by The Fatadder , 20 October 2018 - - - - - - · 290 views
Virgin XC
Onto the home stretch.... The revised approach for the window blanks was a lot more effective, once covered with filler to blend in the corners it is now almost seamless. After the first filler application it looked as below

After which it was given a quick dusting of primer over the dark grey band in order to check on the progress, after which It...


Virgin Cross Country 1998 - mk2 RFB part 2

Posted by The Fatadder , 18 October 2018 - - - - - - · 280 views
virgin xc
Things are not going completely to plan on the buffet conversion, I had filled the windows and started sanding back, however the finish was nowhere near good enough. While not immediately visible, after filing back the filler there was a slight indent around the filled windows (I expect paint would make it stand out a lot more!) The windows are set just...


Virgin Cross Country 1998 - mk2 RFB

Posted by The Fatadder , 15 October 2018 - - - - - - · 341 views
Virgin xc
After being woken by the children at a ridiculous hour this morning I decided to make use of the time to do a little pre work modelling. Before I turn attention back to the layouts I want to finish off a quick coach project and get by Virgin Cross Country loco hauled rake finished. I have modelled one of the shorter formations, with 6 coaches formed...

Workbench Index:

My workbench blog, describing what I am currently working on/planning and how I did it...
Unless otherwise specified everything is 4mm scale to P4 gauge, with locos DCC fitted (standardising on the Lenz Gold.)
This index should give a set of links to each individual project:

If you have any questions feel Free to ask!



My 2010 Layout Competition Entry:
Bodmin Central: My Layout Blog - on hold indefinitely





Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

  • Photo
    Dr Gerbil-Fritters
    Yesterday, 11:05
  • Photo
    09 Nov 2018 - 18:03
  • Photo
    09 Nov 2018 - 16:35
  • Photo
    Mick Bonwick
    08 Nov 2018 - 23:46
  • Photo
    08 Nov 2018 - 17:22

Search My Blog