Jump to content






Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Little House on The... (Part 3)

Posted by D869 , in steam 24 April 2015 · 1,058 views

The painfully slow progress of the 45xx build continues. The loco had a test run at AbRail where it showed a tendency to derail. After readjustment of the pony truck springs it had another run at Macclesfield and was much better behaved. Over the past few months I've been gradually making progress with putting the cylinders together and tonight the second one was finally fitted to the loco.

Attached Image

I've got to say that they weren't the easiest of things to put together - annoying issues like the square holes to take the slidebars being too small. The crossheads come as a set of 3 loose bits that need to be held in alignment somehow during assembly and you need to provide the piston rods yourself (mine are made from some suitably thin bits of scrap etch). I didn't like the use of a single etch thickness for the motion brackets so I soldered some nickel silver wire along the outside edges which results in something that looks a bit more beefy. All of these little niggles are probably why I kept losing interest and finding other things to do.

The kit as it comes also has an issue with the alignment between the outside steam pipes and the cylinders - the steam pipes should be central to the cylinders but they are quite a way out. My answer to this was to take a large file and remove one millimetre or so from the front end of the chassis so that the whole thing can sit further forward. This improves the alignment of the steam pipes a lot and also puts the front pony wheel and front driver into what looks like a more prototypical alignment with the bits above the footplate. This change also needs the motion brackets to be moved back along the slidebars from the etched 'pips' provided but the new position seems more in keeping with drawings of the real thing. Another slight downside is that the rear pony truck is now a bit too far forward but that's not an unsolveable problem.

Anyway, the cylinders are at least tacked into place now and the chassis still runs properly so I can move on to the next jobs. I think the next task will be to sort out the body fixings (complicated by my having moved the chassis forward by 1mm so the holes no longer line up). The motion brackets might need some more work because at the moment there is a gap between them and the footplate but I'll wait and see what happens when the body is fixed down properly. I'm also intending to try brush painting two pack etch primer on the cylinders to try to make the paint stay put on these exposed bits of metal. The instructions say it can be done, so we'll see.

Another pic with the body removed...

Attached Image
  • Like x 12
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1





Photo
queensquare
Apr 24 2015 22:27
Really starting to come together now Andy. It's a shame all these various issues with the chassis etch were not dealt with at the test build stage. I believe Chris Higgs is doing a prairie, or at least a 44xx. Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I'm hopeful that the trickiest bits are done now. The only remaining loose bits from the etch are the brake shoes. I haven't yet decided what to do regarding brakes but I'm not massively keen on the idea of soldering more odd bits of wire onto an already painted and working chassis.
 
I think I'll want to do something other than a 45xx (or 44xx) for a good spell now, but thanks for the info about Chris's possible future plans.
 
It might be nice to get back to something more diesel hydraulic again given the title of this blog ;)
 
Regards, Andy

Photo
Chris Higgs
May 01 2015 16:29

Don't get over excited about my 44XX. Given I am doing it for myself and probably will sell a handful to other people, I won't be going through multiple repetitions to get the design 100% smooth. If it can be built, that will be good enough for me. I will only re-etch parts if they really are unuseable.

 

I suggest you solder the brakes up separately onto the wire and then glue them to the chassis so the paintwork is untouched. Personally I don't like locos without brakes.

No worries Chris. I quite understand.

 

The brakes are fitted now. I decided that I had to do them or else I would never get around to it. I used Nigel Ashton's approach as inspiration so all six shoes are mounted onto a sub-assembly that fits up under the loco... with no soldering to the actual chassis required. It's taking a few liberties but at least I have brakes now.

 

Regards, Andy

About

A blog about my own modelling projects (as distinct from the St Ruth group layout) - centered around BR WR circa 1968-1972 and my own minimum space 2mm Scale 2FS layout 'South Yard'

 

Quick Category Links
Class 22
Class 35
Class 41
Class 42/3
Class 47
Class 52
Steam Locos
Coaches
Wagons
South Yard
Hayle North Quay
Out and About
In the Garden

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

user(s) viewing

members, guests, anonymous users

Search My Blog

Latest Visitors

  • Photo
    bubbles2
    16 Sep 2017 - 20:22
  • Photo
    dpgibbons
    16 Sep 2017 - 08:00
  • Photo
    MinerChris
    12 Sep 2017 - 13:59
  • Photo
    tim@dy
    11 Sep 2017 - 23:37
  • Photo
    modfather
    10 Sep 2017 - 08:20