Siphons for Cheddar - Siphon J Build
Siphon J GWR
Through a discussion with Chris F back at Scaleforum, he mentioned that a Siphon J was included in this fleet. Wanting something a bit different to the Lima and Airfix models that will make up the rest of the fleet, I have finally got hold of a Mallard Models kit
First impressions were good, though a further inspection of the etch quality left a bit to be desired, some half etch was missing and other bits needed a lot of cleaning up. All to be expected on an old second hand kit.
I stated by folding up the components, the long folds on the sides were a bit tricky where the half etching was not complete. the chassis sub frame included 4 uprights for the trussing on which there was no half etch so these were removed to be replaced with L shaped brass
The ends consist of 2 parts, an inner with a fold up bracket that aids alignment with the sides, and a detailed outer with the planking. The inner brackets were soldered in place, then the bracket adjusted to ensure alignment with the sides. I then soldered the first end onto the side, followed by the other end.
In each case I used the block from a GW models wheel press along with an engineers square to ensure everything was kept square.
With one side soldered to both ends, it was a choice to add the chassis or other side. I went with the latter as the sub chassis was not completely flat (as a result of issues bending non half etched bits 90 degrees) So the other side was soldered on, followed by the sub chassis
This takes it to the condition of the below photo:
While the soldering inside is crude (none of it can be seen on the finished model, I like lots of solder on a but joint like this.) the soldering on the outer corners of the ends is much tidier (it needs cleaning up still in the photo). This outer soldering was more as a filler than for strength.
Still to do: There are lots of small parts to add, including the door hinges (32 of them), door locking bars, end steps, a complete scratch built set of underframe trusses, and the bogies (for which there are no instructions explaining where the numinous castings go.
For the side/end details, the plan is to solder on as much as possible (though I suspect the hinges will be glued!)
The vac formed plastic roof looks a pretty close shape, and will be added once the soldering is finished.