Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

So, Millers Dale is mothballed at the mo and the likelihood of me getting the garden workshop built and finished this year is pretty much a pipe dream of epic proportions therefore getting MD back up and running is sadly a year or two down the line. Now I am a hands on modeler and keeping my butt firmly clamped onto my hands modelling wise makes for a grumpy Cav therefore I need something to do until I have the space to build MD. Cue Burton on Trent. Looking for somewhere in the midlands that realistically is able to provide a scenic backdrop to the N gauge stock that I am building up for MD I inadvertently looked at Burton. The trackplan is simple yet with its small PW yard to the east provides mainline running, station activity and shuntiness into and out of the PW yard. It has what I need. Its also a real place so fits my new found love for modeling real locations. There are issues though but a quick flash of my modelers licence to the authorities should take care of that.

First up is compression, although the real location translates to approx 9ft in N its still too large for what I have in mind so the squishometer has been broken out of storage and used to reduce the trackplan into a 6ft scenic section. It has worked ok but will require slight shortening of some services i.e. 6 coach HST set for example. I'm pretty happy to do PC, TGS, TS, TS, TS, RB, TF, PC though to be honest.

Secondly, Shobnall Road bridge. The bridge to the south of the station was built somewhere between 1988 and 1993 but not sure when. As my stock is 1988 based this could be an issue however to provide a scenic break I MUST model it. I can pretty much get away with all of my stock except for the class 45 however if I set the layout to span the period 1988 to 1993 then I can run all my stock and just use the old modelers licence for the bridge.

Thirdly the Silos in the adjacent yard. These also went sometime between 1988 and 1993. I don't need to model these really but would be nice to have them. I just need to know whether the bridge existed together with the Silos and if so I'll put them in. If not they are gone!

Fourthly, The signal to the south before Shobnall road. This is a later addition as the signal was originally just beyond the bridge albeit the same design. This was moved after 1993 but I wonder if it would be better to put it in for interest sake. I do like a signal! Without it there will be no signals on the layout at all.

Anyway here's the templot, it will be handbuilt track to the standard I will use on MD. The scenic section is 6ft long and the return curve boards are 350mm x 3ft to get the tracks to the rear 6ft long traverser.

Comments as always welcome.

post-6894-0-91752200-1433765250_thumb.png

Edited by RBE
  • Like 13

Hi Cav

I'm a big fan of your previous layouts so very much looking forward to watch this progress. PW yards always provide a nice amount of interest from the piles of trackside equipment & materials to the random collection of wagons.

Cheers

Cheers Sam, my modelling on MD got of to a very slow start and has disappointed many, myself included. To put that to rights I intend to get started on this layout this week, using the baseboard material I have laying around for the second board on MD.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this one Cav! Would I be right in thinking that we will see lots of 20s, 56s and 58s on HAAs and pairs of 37/5s on Steel?!! Hope so!

You can also have some HHAs passing by on their way to the wagon repair facility, There were trips from Toton and Bescot but I am sure that you will already have thought of that!

• Like 2

Yes Alex the HAAs will feature on their way to and from Drakelow C just down the road. I will of course need to buy a 56 a pair of 20's and some 37/5s as you say for the steel trains. I may even indulge you on a 60 mate!

Its good to be modelling again Andy. Sonetimes you just have to change tact to move on I think.

Yes Alex the HAAs will feature on their way to and from Drakelow C just down the road. I will of course need to buy a 56 a pair of 20's and some 37/5s as you say for the steel trains. I may even indulge you on a 60 mate!

Its good to be modelling again Andy. Sonetimes you just have to change tact to move on I think.

What about RATS, (Class 25's), would there still be any Rats around, apparently Burton was full of them.

I think you will Sir! The Farish 60 is very nice and it would be rude not to....Metals sector and on a rake of BAAs!

Guest bri.s

Glad to see your back at it ,look forward to seeing your progress

I noticed some very nice warehouses there around the station area when I went to DEMU the other week ,plenty to get your teeth into modelling wise

Brian

Superb mate, great to see you back on the modelling bike and I know we have had off site chats about this plan and direction and I'm totally looking forward to seeing it crack on :)

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can give you something to see this time round. I'm not sure how Calcutta sidings will help as its not based on the station area. Maybe it will help with what stock would pass through perhaps? Anyway tonight I started cutting the wood for the baseboards. I had to stop though as it was getting too late to be jigsawing which was a shame. I have managed to cut the tops though so I might print out the templot later and see how it fits for real.

• Like 3

Ok quick pic with the trackplan glued to the baseboard tops. Works pretty well this I think. Now that the track is down on the south board I can see where the board needs cutting to allow the ground to lower where moor street goes under the line and its adjacent factory units sit. Tonight the framing!

post-6894-0-30881900-1433832592_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-79311100-1433832623_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Haha I love how 20s are still rocking the 1980s style in the 2000s! Great pic though Marcus and yes I will certainly tap you up for info. With the way Im modelling it I could probably do modern day running too with a box of trees to add to the platforms!! Not that I have any modern day stock like!

Thanks also Andy and Mason. I intend to crack on with this one. It'll be good to get something running again. Only trouble is its far harder to borrow stock now until I get a full roster!

Edited by RBE

Haha I love how 20s are still rocking the 1980s style in the 2000s! Great pic though Marcus and yes I will certainly tap you up for info. With the way Im modelling it I could probably do modern day running too with a box of trees to add to the platforms!! Not that I have any modern day stock like!

Thanks also Andy and Mason. I intend to crack on with this one. It'll be good to get something running again. Only trouble is its far harder to borrow stock now until I get a full roster!

Told you, you should have moved up to the MANS GAUGE, OOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo