Twickenham MRC's new D&E layout in OO gauge

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Team Yakima....

Are non of your club members members of DEM as well?

If so - they should speak with their area group co-ordinator to see if a presence at the show is possible.

After all - DEMU are the only era specific society to cover the D&E era exclusively!

Thanks

Hello Phil

Thanks for your comment

Most of our members consider a 9f 2-10-0 as modern era so I think we can assume that we have no DEMU members in our mist at the moment ( I was a member for a year some time ago)

I think some of us realise that in order to move forward and grow as a club we need to broaden our appeal.

The club leadership is open to ALL ideas to make a D&E layout a reality.

Basically it's a chicken and egg situation ... we go around in a circle...............

1. The club doesn't have a D&E layout because we have no-one interested in D&E

2. No-one interested in D&E joins our club because we don't have a D&E layout

There is a move by some to break this circle ............ hopefully some will join us!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Thanks for the response....

I had this same situation in Scotland!

None of the clubs appeared to have a solid D&E interest and there was a visible gap/opportunity in the exhibition content.

One of you needs to bite the bullet and join DEMU (again)!

Then you approach the Area Group guy (or become the Area group guy - like I did) to see what the DEMU membership is like in the area and then work at convincing them to appear at the show (and any other shows that are of interest). Of course - if their is an area group for your area - then you need to make yourselves and the opportunity known to them.

My point is - Until you have an advocate for movement on the D & E front - then it will remain stagnant.

When you consider that the D & E era is now the largest time period for modelling - it should have a larger representation around the clubs.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Scottish Modeller and everyone

I have taken your advice and contacted DEMU to see how they might help us publicise that TDMRC is open to D&E ideas.

Hopefully with their help we can get a group together to build a D&E layout. It appears to me that the committee are prepared to be very flexible to help achieve that aim.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully if we get a critical mass of potential members we might be able to make a case to have a D&E layout .... in my personal opinion we have the cash and we have the space ... what we need is active modellers to exploit those.

Well, if you fancy relocating to the East Midlands????

Mike.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find a local model club to join within 20 miles that have a D&E Layout . They all only have steam layouts. I was the chairman of my local club a few years back all the members where intrested in steam only. How do club's intend to get younger member's if they Don't move with the times.

Bringing the thread back on topic if I may, anyone who's interested in D&E, of any period, and who is planning to come along on July 25th should ask to speak to our Chairman, Steve Waterfield.

Steve is leading the push to get TDMRC into the 21st century ......or at least the late 20th century!

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your input. Let's face it we are probably thinking initially at 4mm.

Traditionally our club, like most I suspect, had a generic OO/HO layout where anything could run. Back in the day it would not be unusual on a club night to see a Tri-ang Stephenson's Rocket running on one track and a HST running on the other ..... in other words the Club OO/HO layout was a glorified test track with non-specific scenery.

But times change .......things move on and the hobby has become more sophisticated

There is a demand now for era/period/region/country specific layouts... it seems to us that D&E modellers or other special interest groups (eg American HO) are no longer prepared to put up with 'one size fits all', they want something specific.

So TDMRC has built a Multi-Gauge Running Track (MGRT) which has four circuits and by clever design it can accommodate 14 different gauges from 'Z' to 'G' ... this is for anyone to run everything. We are now building a 'common fiddle yard' in 16.5mm gauge with 14 tracks which will be able to accept multiple scenic fronts.

The first scenic front is a Southern Region 3rd Rail electric suburban scene based on the real Twickenham station (pre-WW2) but now re-imagined into 1961, although the group is building up a fantastic collection of 1961 era 3rd rail stock, once built the layout will be available on club nights to run 'anything'.

However,once the common fiddle yard is finished (later this year) the committee is keen for other scenic fronts to be built to diversify the club's appeal........ some of us would like that next scenic front to be D&E.

BTW ..... we do sometimes have D&E running on our new 7mm layout (see below) and we plan a 'Diesel Running Night' on or 'O' gauge layout in September - all welcome!

SunnySouthSleeper013_zpsff54f09a.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Some of you may have noticed the 4 rail electrified track on our 7mm layout - Addison Road - as seen in the photo above.....

So it has been pointed out that in a sense we already have a D&E layout .... albeit set in the 1920s!!

Our 7mm layout is based on Addison Road (now known as Kensington Olympia) on the West London line.

As there were no kits available for the LNWR Oerlikon stock we designed and made our own kits.

Here is a built up one in LNWR livery.....

post-4476-0-98802500-1435753156_thumb.jpg

And one in LMSlivery...

KeithsDMBT1.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know, a post as been placed on the DEMU forum by Phil making members aware of your open day. I’m keen to come to see your Addison Road layout (mostly because I live next to Olympia and love the location!). I sympathise with your chicken-and-egg situation but unfortunately if you don’t have anything D&E to show to people you will definitely struggle! It’s the sad reality.

There are a number of us (DEMU members) who are London based and participate in DEMU's London Area Group (LAG). We are fairly active as an area group and most of us have our own projects (which is probably why getting involved in a club is not that appealing to us?). Having said that, like many people in London, we all struggle from a lack of space so would benefit from the space that your club offers to run things like our resin casting days. In fact, my own OO D&E layout lives in a storage locker not very far from your club’s premises!

It would be good to try to build a working relationship between DEMU LAG and your club. Perhaps let’s have a chat at the open day and see how far we get?

Guy

TeamYakima,

Why not reply to my post? I represent both the DEMU committee and DEMU London area group.

The person that you spoke to is actually called John and not Phil. Whilst he might be getting on a bit, he is no longer on the committee so I'm not sure by what criteria you are calling him senior!

Anyway, I'll see you and John on Saturday.

Best wishes

Guy

Hello again

Yes, following our VERY successful Open Day TDMRC has attracted one new potential member who is very keen on D&E ... we will continue to try to attract more and get a layout started.....please contact us if YOU want to be involved.

If you want to speak to us about D&E modelling in TDMRC then please send me a PM or contact us via our website.....

www.tdmrc.org.uk

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a video of some D&E stock running on the club's multi-gauge running track (MGRT) on July 31st - the week after our recent Open Day.

The stock shown is all OO but the MGRT is capable of handling 5 trains at once in up to 16 different gauges from Z to G.

The stock is mainly from (hopefully) new member Peter bit the Virgin Trains stock belongs to long time member Eddie Chapman.

This excellent video was filmed by Peter and TDMRC would like to thank him for producing this great advert for the club.

https://youtu.be/HnIUN_jshbA

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is some progress towards a Twickenham MRC with regards building a D&E layout ... we've attracted two young keen D&E modellers!

For one night they took over our club's steam era layout to show what it might look like in the modern era .. here is the video!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KPWbEU9cbiU

Take a look ............

If we can encourage a few more D&E modellers then a D&E layout becomes a real possibility!  Please send us a PM if you're interested ........

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Simon

I'll send you  a PM on exactly where we are on this ....what do you model? OO?

I cannot make definitive statements on behalf of TDMRC as I'm not currently a committee member but I can report some progress in attracting interest in a OO project - more details in my PM to you.

Paul

I've spoken to those current members who are developing ideas to build a new D&E scenic front for our 'OO/HO common fiddle yard' and there are four 'schemes' under review...

1. West Kensington, East Junction

2. East Putney

3. Kew Bridge

4. A fictional West London line location

The D&E 'team' need YOUR help to develop these ideas and put one of them to the committee .... will YOU come and join us?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 2 months later...

Well things are moving forward !

TDMRC are holding a 'OO' themed Open Day on July 23rd and our embryonic D&E group will be there to promote their new project. We now have two fully fledged D&E modellers with other 'generic' modellers in the background for support and help.

Chris our newest and youngest recruit is preparing a small diorama to display stock on at the Open Day. Chris is a young (junior) member and this is his first attempt at anything like this - very promising!

post-4476-0-39150200-1459673612_thumb.jpg

We hope to announce firm proposals before the Open Day so please put the date in your diary and come down to see what we're planning to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...