First attempt at scratchbuilding

I am making my first ever attempt at building from card and plasticard and so far its not going according to plan !

The idea is to build a goods shed based on Swanage, and if that works out then a representation of the Swanage station buildings will follow (slightly reduced in size ) and then the layout will be based on that location. My difficulty is getting the stone effect of the buildings. There do not seem to be any styrene sheets that look the part so I am experimenting with card and plasticard covered with DAS modelling compound scribed and painted. At the moment I have not built the complete goods shed, just experimenting with plain sections of card.  The problem is that although the effect is satisfactory for a first attempt, when the Das dries out it seem to shink and cause both card and pasticard to bend slightly, and if I bend it back flat then the DAS gets a big crack in it. The happens with both card and plasticard. I have tried giving the material a covering of diluted glue before applying the DAS but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't really want to finish the buildings and then find out I they start to bend.

If I cant get this sorted then Plan B will be to switch the location to somewhere GWR and use some brick style plasticard that fits the location, but I want to stick with the Swanage branch if  I can as that gives me a wider choice of prototype locos to use- everything from M7's to Bulleid pacifics.

Any suggestions ?

Am I using the wrong materials?  Shall I go ahead and complete the buildings in the hope that being stronger than plain card they won't bend ? Or shall I go straight to Plan B

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

The building will definitely warp if you do, best not ruin good work on an if.

For stone effect, why not make the building with plain walls and separately apply chips of plasticcard to simulate stone? Then careful painting will result in a nice stone look. If you wish, even push some filler or glue into the cracks between 'stones' to represent mortar.

One simple solution, put the DAS on both sides of the supporting substrate in as near equal thickness as you can achieve. That will result in equal force on each side of the substrate, no net bending force.

It is possible that a cheaper solution such as a PVA film and a layer of paper on the inside face will produce an equivalent balancing effect: that would have to be determined by experiment. This 'balanced construction' principle is what makes plywood and other laminate constructions stable; an odd number of plywood laminations means an even number of adhesive interfaces, so provided that the adhesive is consistently applied, the construction balances and is stable.

If all else fails, try Palight Foam.

You can emboss your stonework into it then paint it.

Use a dart as a scribe....round off the end a bit with emery, but not to much or you will scribe to thick a line.

If you can source an Upholstery skewer, they work well.

Khris

Geoff,

Firstly, assuming you are working in 4mm, I'm surprised you can't find suitable styrene or embossed card to represent the stonework you need. However if you are happy with your experiments with DAS then it sounds as though you need to construct a fairly rigid structure before applying the DAS. This could be balsa, bass wood, foam board or something similar. You could also add interior walls for both strength and to simulate the actual plan so that peering into a window at one end doesn't show the window at the other.... If the substructure is rigid enough you could apply and scribe the stonework before assembly if that is easier.

• RMweb Premium

I must get around to finishing my first scratchbuilt building...

I carved the stone patterns directly on the plasticard using a scraperboard tool. It's a rather time-consuming process but I'm so far satisfied with the result, and I hope it'll look good with more than the very slight weathering I've so far given it (I intend to carve a bit more on some spare sheet and practice before I go any further). It currently looks like this.

Geoff, having now Googled Swanage station buildings it's interesting that the stone for the goods shed is different to that used in the actual station building. I would use Wills Course Stone for the shed (random courses) and Wills Dressed Stone (uniform courses) for the station building.

Edited by Jeff Smith

Thanks to all if you for such a variety of suggestions. I am on a learning curve so I will be trying various suggestions to see what works best for me, but I am grateful for your input.

• 2 years later...