Hornby Network Rail Class 31 R3344

Hello,

Is the newly released R3344 a lighter shade of yellow from the original release R3044?

It does appear to be lighter, as the original 31233. I am torn between wanting them to be the same shade to run TnT but also if R3344 is lighter then it is more true to NR yellow. Thus each outcome I might be happy!

r3344_2.jpgR3044_30323_Qty1_3.jpg

Has anyone who owns 31233 (R3044) had the newer 31285 (R3344) delivered as I really would like to know if the yellow matches, or is 31285 lighter as appears on Rails, Kernow and Hornby sites.

Many thanks.

Hello,

Is the newly released R3344 a lighter shade of yellow from the original release R3044?

It does appear to be lighter, as the original 31233. I am torn between wanting them to be the same shade to run TnT but also if R3344 is lighter then it is more true to NR yellow. Thus each outcome I might be happy!

r3344_2.jpgR3044_30323_Qty1_3.jpg

I think one can immediately see that the Hornby studio used to take a pic of 31285 is more brightly lit than the Hattons studio used to take a pic of 31233.

Can easily make it out by looking at the entire model.

Edited Hattons pic. Since Hattons couldn't actually get their image straight straight on, it helps us see hoe even editing can change a colour. The left hand side looks almost identical to Hornby and the right hand side is darker.

Cheers!

post-21774-0-97752100-1434455855.jpg

Of the two that I have seen up close , both do not have working fans. One of them had directional lights working at one end only, although overheads did work. It seems a different colour to the previous issue, there IS a distinct break in colour shade at the front and end corners of the loco.

I got to open one up.....There is no fan turning mechanism, just the fan sitting on top of the housing. It looks to me that this engine would have to come apart in order to install the band (not included) and buy the extra parts to get it operating, not something that I would be happy doing.

Is this penny pinching or a coincidental factory mistake.....Please check your fans!

Sorry, I've been looking forward to this one as I missed out on the earlier version.

Dave.

I have one each of the first and second model and to my eye both shades of Network Rail yellow appear identical, however the current model definitely has a different shade (warning panel yellow) for the front end.

I have one each of the first and second model and to my eye both shades of Network Rail yellow appear identical, however the current model definitely has a different shade (warning panel yellow) for the front end.

Many thanks for confirming this. Looks like I shall be sticking to 31233 (But keeping an eye on the Hornby site in January!)

• RMweb Gold

The lights are all fine on mine, but the fan didn't turn. Called Rails of Sheffield who helpfully opened up their whole stock to confirm exactly the same problem; no fan mechanisms are fitted. Good luck to them putting the bodies back on!

I might call Hornby to ask. Their website certainly claims that they rotate. I have to admit it's not a deal breaker for me though - But it's a bit annoying that something is claimed, and then not delivered.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

The lights are all fine on mine, but the fan didn't turn. Called Rails of Sheffield who helpfully opened up their whole stock to confirm exactly the same problem; no fan mechanisms are fitted. Good luck to them putting the bodies back on!

I might call Hornby to ask. Their website certainly claims that they rotate. I have to admit it's not a deal breaker for me though - But it's a bit annoying that something is claimed, and then not delivered.

Rob

Its the same situation for the recently released 2015 batch of Hornby Class 56s. Hmmmm

Just checked the description on the Hornby Website, which states "turning fans".

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/locomotives/diesel-electric-locomotives/dcc-ready-diesel-electric-locomotives/network-rail-a1a-a1a-diesel-class-31-1.html

Now if a manufacturer (and seller) claims for a product to have "turning fan" and it doesn't have this feature, surely the product is not as described, and therefore breaks Statutory Instrument 2008 No.1277 - The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/pdfs/uksi_20081277_en.pdf

Looks like time to complain . . . .

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its more the principle. If you advertise a product with certain features and characteristics, when its available for sale it should be as advertised. 

As an analogy, you'd not be happy if you bought a new car, where in the advertising leaflet, it states it has a radio. Then when you actually purchase the car the radio is fitted, but not connected to the electrics! 

In this case the fan may still be free to turn. Buts hardly reasonable to have to remove to body to be able to turn it!

Edited by richierich

As an analogy, you'd not be happy if you bought a new car, where in the advertising leaflet, it states it has a radio. Then when you actually purchase the car the radio is fitted, but not connected to the electrics! 

Whilst your example states the same situation, the price points are far apart..... So I cannot really connect to that kind of situation. "Model" trains and cars (sorry no).

My posts were simple, when Hornby had them people complained, and when the don't have the fans you still hear complaining. Again as I said the term "turning fan" can be taken in many ways, it doesn't say the fans turn because they are driven by a belt connected to the bogie. Turning fan can still mean a fan that freely rotates.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst your example states the same situation, the price points are far apart..... So I cannot really connect to that kind of situation. "Model" trains and cars (sorry no).

My posts were simple, when Hornby had them people complained, and when the don't have the fans you still hear complaining. Again as I said the term "turning fan" can be taken in many ways, it doesn't say the fans turn because they are driven by a belt connected to the bogie. Turning fan can still mean a fan that freely rotates.

I'm illustrating a principle.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by richierich

there appears to be a light issue with the new release class 31 in network rail and dcr versions, whilst testing a dcr one out  today in my local I noticed the red tail lights turn to white when you change direction  and thought someone whould have picked up on this and its not right  neither should do it

• 2 years later...

I’ve only just open this model from Hornby, as described on a above post my model also have the same issues plus a fractured capacitor, I’m having to send my model way for repair, unfortunately I don’t have the receipt, so this could be costly, the service rep said that the model that I have got is now obsolete and now uses a new chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve only just open this model from Hornby, as described on a above post my model also have the same issues plus a fractured capacitor, I’m having to send my model way for repair, unfortunately I don’t have the receipt, so this could be costly, the service rep said that the model that I have got is now obsolete and now uses a new chassis.

Receive my class 31 on the 14th of this month they have repaired the PCB which is great but the lights and fan Which are as designed which I do not agree! Opening the box They have snapped off the infrared light which I’ve now got repair myself, i’m pretty disappointed with only Hornby repair because I’ve also got 31233 and that works perfectly with no issues in the fan works and motor works perfectly, time now to find a reasonable price, which are hard to find!

Edited by rorz101uk