New Farish Power Station relief buildings.-Worth the ?.

Mr Pix

Hi

The new Farish Power Station relief buildings/structures have been released, just wondering if anyone has purchased any of them?

I like the look of the cooling tower, chimney and boiler house, they would fit in perfect with my steel works layout.

But are they worth the money?

Cheers...Jez

I saw the pre-production models a last years open day. They appear to look okay but I understand that they are rather expensive. Whether they are 'worth the money' tends to be a personal thing dependant on your individual financial circumstances and the 'value' that you place on the model.

I'd have thought that it was quite possible to build your own at a fraction of the cost, that could be tailored to fit your layout and be more appropriate, give you enjoyment and fun in building, and provide satisfaction and pride in a project accomplished.

G.

I saw the pre-production models a last years open day. They appear to look okay but I understand that they are rather expensive. Whether they are 'worth the money' tends to be a personal thing dependant on your individual financial circumstances and the 'value' that you place on the model.

I'd have thought that it was quite possible to build your own at a fraction of the cost, that could be tailored to fit your layout and be more appropriate, give you enjoyment and fun in building, and provide satisfaction and pride in a project accomplished.

G.

I'm not entirely sure that it could be reproduced at home for a fraction of the price. That depends on your ability, what you are prepared to accept in terms of quality and your access to the necessary tools and kit. I presume this is why Bachmann have decided to make a ready to play resin version.

As regards your other points I couldn't agree more. Whilst I am more of a box-opener than modeler, when I do get my tools out and scratch build my scenery I consider it a weekend well-spent and with something to show for it at the end.

Perhaps we should have a cooling tower building competition?!! 

I'm not entirely sure that it could be reproduced at home for a fraction of the price. That depends on your ability, what you are prepared to accept in terms of quality and your access to the necessary tools and kit.

Hmmm, that sounds a little defeatist before even considering and trying. I'm more than confident that it is possible - have you seen the price of the cooling tower and associated power station modules?

It's probably not a matter of trying to match the RTP version for quality and finish but in producing something more tailor made and appropriate for the layout. And oddly enough many RTP building I've seen aren't exactly top quality or fine-scale with chunky, clunky and wonkily affixed fittings that can easily be improved upon (and/or detailed).

BTW I've seen a very cheap card kit of a cooling tower on ebay that could be used as a blueprint or starting point.

G.

I agree that the nature of the resin used that these models are rarely finely detailed representations and lamps, brackets, uprights, etc,.. are often bent or stubby. I'm thinking in particular of the Sheffield Park station where the canopy uprights are anything but straight. A model in wood would doubtless look betterbut would be too fiddly to mass produce.

The cost of materials, paint and certainly the outlay for tools would quickly exceed the resin model's price. If you already have the tools, and you have the necessary scraps clearly you will come in within budget.

It is true, the Cooling tower and other models in the range are very expensive, but again if had to go out and buy the necessary kit to build one myself I wouldn't come in far off that price

The cost of materials, paint and certainly the outlay for tools would quickly exceed the resin model's price. If you already have the tools, and you have the necessary scraps clearly you will come in within budget.

It is true, the Cooling tower and other models in the range are very expensive, but again if had to go out and buy the necessary kit to build one myself I wouldn't come in far off that price

Eh, why on earth would you consider the purchase of some tools to be part of the cost of making just one model. They are a one-off purchase that can be used time and time again for building many other models, so the cost will be continually spread and reduced for each.

Sorry to disagree, but, even that said, the cost of some card, a modelling knife, glue and paint to make a cooling tower would be significantly less than the price of a RTP cooling tower (at over £59 from Hattons). And it's only low relief - if you make your own you could produce a fully modelled version and/or one nearer scale size. Even the card kit at just £1.99 is significantly less than £59 and you wouldn't need any paint to complete that. Plus you could use it as a blueprint template to make others or larger versions.

G.

A thumbs-up from me. I've seen these in the flesh resin at my local model shop and think they look pretty good. They would certainly make an imposing layout feature. Expensive? Yes, but I wouldn't want to attempt to scratchbuild them... I'm pretty sure I couldn't even come close. Besides, you only need to buy them once, so maybe it's a justifiable expense in the whole modelling budget?

My personal opinion is that the blocks (or the lines defining them) of the cooling towers are too large and the lines too wide and deep - look how tight a fit the real things are.

The cooling towers wouldn't be the easiest thing to reproduce due to the complex curves but it wouldn't be essential to include them in a steelworks as it's only the largest of steelworks such as Scunthorpe, Consett or Ravenscraig which would have had such.

• RMweb Gold

I think my issue with the cooling tower is not so much the cost, but that it appears to be rather on the small side! The real things can be up to 200 m tall (1.35m in N) - for example Ferrybridge's are 115m (0.78m).  From the Hattons website the Farish model is nowhere close to that height.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

G.

I'm not entirely sure that it could be reproduced at home for a fraction of the price. That depends on your ability, what you are prepared to accept in terms of quality and your access to the necessary tools and kit. I presume this is why Bachmann have decided to make a ready to play resin version.

As regards your other points I couldn't agree more. Whilst I am more of a box-opener than modeler, when I do get my tools out and scratch build my scenery I consider it a weekend well-spent and with something to show for it at the end.

Perhaps we should have a cooling tower building competition?!! 

Hmmm, that sounds a little defeatist before even considering and trying. I'm more than confident that it is possible - have you seen the price of the cooling tower and associated power station modules?

It's probably not a matter of trying to match the RTP version for quality and finish but in producing something more tailor made and appropriate for the layout. And oddly enough many RTP building I've seen aren't exactly top quality or fine-scale with chunky, clunky and wonkily affixed fittings that can easily be improved upon (and/or detailed).

BTW I've seen a very cheap card kit of a cooling tower on ebay that could be used as a blueprint or starting point.

G.

Grahame,

It saddens me to see that you would post in this thread, urging people to scratch build their own structures. I don't understand why you would feel it necessary to do this.

Not everyone has the skills or indeed the interest in scratch building, but they are no lesser modellers because of that. Can you not just accept that not everybody wants to model in that way, without being preached at?

Al.

I think my issue with the cooling tower is not so much the cost, but that it appears to be rather on the small side! The real things can be up to 200 m tall (1.35m in N)...

Agreed. I think the Farish cooling tower is something in the region of 280-300mm tall, but I would assume they've gone for a working compromise. As it's a low-relief model, one would imagine it would be placed flush up against a backscene. The backscene on the last N layout I built was 300mm tall. Probably less tall than a lot of backscenes, but I certainly wouldn't have one 4 feet tall. Stood behind the layout, I'd have needed a stepladder to see over it!

Regarding scratchbuilding, I have to hang my head in shame (joking) and admit that it's not an aspect of the hobby that I particularly enjoy. I am getting a little better, but I will always "cheat" and go for ready-made or a kit. If that makes me any less of a modeller, tough really. Each to their own, and that's exactly as it should be. Going back to the OP, I actually think cost is irrelevant. If it was twice the price and fitted in with someone's layout perfectly, it would still be a bargain if, like me, scratchbuilding was not a viable (or enjoyable) prospect.

Grahame,

It saddens me to see that you would post in this thread, urging people to scratch build their own structures. I don't understand why you would feel it necessary to do this.

That's okay for you to be saddened. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. No one is asking you to agree, just like I don't agree with you. But I can accept that you are saddened or can't or don't want to model, so why not accept my opinion without the fuss.

G.

• RMweb Gold

That's okay for you to be saddened.

Thank you.

The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. No one is asking you to agree, just like I don't agree with you.

You didn't just give an opinion though, you described not wanting to attempt to scratch build as "defeatist". This seems to me to be unwarranted criticism of those who prefer to use ready-to-plonk models.

But I can accept that you are saddened or can't or don't want to model.

Actually, I prefer to scratch build. Indeed nearly every structure on my layout is scratch built.

However, I don't try to tell other modellers that they should really try scratch building instead.

so why not accept my opinion without the fuss.

Because your opinion seems to be that people who don't scratch build aren't real modellers, and I find that offensive.

Al.

Because your opinion seems to be that people who don't scratch build aren't real modellers, and I find that offensive.

Al.

I haven't said that at all. I haven't mentioned anything about 'real modellers'. That is your incorrect assumption. And I didn't just or only suggest scratch building - I also mentioned a very cheap kit as an alternative solution.

I get the impression you want to censor me from suggesting to those that can and want to, that building a model is an alternative approach. And I would find that more than just offensive.

G

• RMweb Gold

I haven't said that at all. I haven't mentioned anything about 'real modellers'. That is your incorrect assumption.

I'm sorry, but that is how I interpreted your comments.

And I didn't just or only suggest scratch building - I also mentioned a very cheap kit as an alternative solution.

Yes you did, I acknowledge that.

I get the impression you want to censor me from suggesting to those that can and want to, that building a model is an alternative approach.

It appears we are both guilty of misinterpreting each others posts :) That's not at all what I was doing. I was however objecting to what I felt was criticism on your part for modellers who use RTP buildings.

And I would find that more than just offensive.

And rightly so.

I suggest we agree to disagree, rather than fill this thread with an argument which I acknowledge I started.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Here is a guy in Australia who posts on a Facebook group who has scratch built a representation of Didcot power station in N. He uses a wire frame for the cooling towers, then I think uses plaster to cover. If you can find this work on there, it's very good and makes the Farish resin power station models look a bit crude.

The Farish models are different subject to model, and for that they must be congratulated. But I do agree they look a bit corse for N. Also the price depends on your financial circulstances vs modelling skill and that rare commodity time…

post-13358-0-99363000-1434825566_thumb.jpg

My right hand.  No sympathy please, the arthritis is hereditary and the RSI probably self-inflicted from too much time on keyboards,. In any case it hasn't stopped me modelling and managing to win awards with both of my layouts.

To me, if I wanted a cooling tower the Farish one would be worth every penny.  Scratchbuild one?  Not now.

Les

Oh, with dyspraxia as well I might be able to cut curves but not necessarily the right ones.......

• 5 months later...

Hi all

Managed to obtain a Farish cooling tower from Modellers Mecca for the bargain price of £34.....half the RRP!!!.

The block work cement lines are over scale and look a bit crude but with some weathering and grime it will be less noticeable. All Steel Works structures are filthy, so it should look the part when all grimed up and added along the rear of the layout with the Coke oven,Gas Holder, Coal blending bunkers and other structures.

So for the price I'm very happy.... here are a couple of photos straight out of the box.

Jez

post-4726-0-23900600-1450541976_thumb.jpeg

post-4726-0-35369700-1450541998_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

The point is imho. most power stations that I have come across, have cooling towers in multiple, now that would be expensive in rtp models, and would they be available in quantity required?

I guess availability will be down to how long a period you would want to be able add more to make up whatever numbers you decide on.

Perhaps looking around you'll find similar offers as Jez found from time-to-time, but the days are long gone when an item could be realistically expected to stay in-catalogue and on-the-shelf for any protracted period.

With my brewery section of the layout the outside tanks will be printed on the backscene, I think that'll look pretty good so there's no pressing reason for me to have them modelled on the baseboard.  With cooling towers you'll need an awful lot of spare baseboard area for any number even in N.  Perhaps just the one in half-relief with additional images of it receding into the background?

Don Jones went outdoors for his 4mm layout Rugely PS (see my gallery for pics) but even so scaled it to 1/100.

I've posted previously that I have a fondness for the Peco Setrack plan for the MGR layout:

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/index.asp?function=PRODUCTIMAGEWINDOW&closedelay=20000&SRC=http://www.osbornsmodels.com/ekmps/shops/osbornsmodels/images/peco-new-plan-013-n-scale-merry-go-round-coal-trains-7706-p[ekm]338x500[ekm].jpg

...cooling towers on the backscene could work very well with maybe just that one up front.

Regards, Gerry 8)

• 6 months later...

I see Peter Marriott has written an excellent article in the Bachmann Times, Summer 2015 Vol 16 No 4 on building the Farish Power station. It's a very good article, all I would like if possible is a scale plan view, does anyone have one, or is there a way of asking Peter if he has one via this forum? Before buying the bits, I need to see if there is anywhere on my  layout I could put it or modify it to make it fit.

Regards

Arthur

The dimensions in the Farish catalogue are:-

42-196 Rail interchange shed L135xW73xH43

42-197 Coal distribution building 91x55x88

42-198 Power Station Chimney 30x30x340

42-297 Low relief cooling tower 105x210x280

42-298 Low relief Boiler House 186x28x157

42-299 Low relief turbine hall 230x45x107

The catalogue includes a suggested layout.

They were used in a layout project in Hornby Magazine Annual 2016 which built an N gauge layout from scratch.

There's an article in the current Railway Modeller about an N Gauge layout that features a power station with rather better looking and more realistically scaled cooling towers, and how they were made.

G.

Complaining about the scale of these is perhaps valid, but I suspect Bachmann employed a dose of pragmatism with these - namely that to make them to scale would make them more expensive and less able to be accommodated on many layouts (average homes still getting smaller) - as such they'd shoot themselves in the foot doubly.

As such I think they did the right thing - they fundamentally have the look and feel of the towers, and being low relief are ideally suited to a little 'forced' perspective.

I think the criticism is slightly unfair.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My subscription copy of Model Rail Summer issue 225 arrived today, in the 'next issue' page is information that issue 226 "on sale August 25" is scheduled to include:

Paul A. Lunn - 3 power station layouts and "...a novel way to build miniature cooling towers"

Peter Marriott "...how to use Bachmann Scenecraft's new power station buildings"

Might be worth taking a look at if you're still contemplating things.

Regards, Gerry.

Archived