Canadian Pacific 1970s

Thought id ask my questions in here in regards to this time period with this railroad also got the classic trains 1970s special plus my research has helped with purchases and things but have a couple of questions

1) Autoracks done my research on these using Wikipedia but am unsure what pics are out there as a start. I usually end up with the corrugated ones that are more modern but do I need to look for specific ones with reporting marks plus this period of CP early years was the red introduction and CP Rail name with the arrow logo so could I technically have that name within my wagon stock as I already have a 40ft green CP Rail boxcar and yellow caboose

2) Could I have SOO Line stuff like a loco or wagons within this time period and would CP have patched them and maroon locos with red number patches in preparation for some being repainted or did most in Maroon and SOO Lime get scrapped

Point 2)...

Although CP was always a major shareholder of Soo Line, in the 1970s (& up to 1992) Soo remained a seperate corporate & legal identity; it exchanged traffic with CP at the USA/Canada border (Portal ND & Noyes MN) so you could have both Railroad's stuff together, but CP Rail would not have been patching/repainting Soo units until the mid-90s.

Point 1, Accurail do open auto racks that would be appropriate to the early 70s as time went by side screens were added to stop rock throwers.http://www.accurail.com/accurail/autorack.htm

I'm not sure if autoracks were pooled in Canada in the 70sor whether you'd just want CP ones.

A guy called Mike Budde modelled some really good autoracks in the now defunct Railmodel Journal some back issues are available on Trainlife

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

In the '70s most auto carriers would have been open racks with side protection. The roofed autorack is a 1980s development.

A lot of the flats under the racks would be (and still are) owned by Trailer Train (now TTX) and would have had xTTX or TTxX marks, even if the racks had road names on them.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorack

Edit: To Nick's last point, the North American auto industry was largely integrated as a result of the 1965 auto pact, so the supply and delivery chain was also integrated.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Athearn Genesis are just shipping some bilevel open racks too which may help.

At the start of the 70s most would have been open, by the end of the 70s most (not all) look to have had simple side sheathing added, and the first recognisably 'modern' enclosed designs were appearing. There were also variants of those modern style racks without end doors (or with different doors) and/or roofs, so the late 70s is a real 'work from a photo' period for autoracks.

Those Mike Budde articles are great if you can track them down.

I'll look for some links...

Here's the fleet sofar

ff5cfcbe2a62a6704c285f8538febd96_zps4jnz

There all around the period but some ain't prototypical for Canada so they still get run behind Canadian or with my CSX machine and the SP boxcars and covered gondolas plus the CV boxcars the CSX B&O gondola and my Canadian Chemical Company limited green chemcell tanker which I don't think is 1970s

• Like 1

Sofar the consists i can make are

1401 A+B that's going to be my small passenger service hence the baggage coach as a start

Grain Train

Mixed

Boxcars also looking for the ones with the grain logo on them

Fuel with this may get one or 2 more

Have been using my ATSF Plymouth switcher as shunting power from Bachmann but it's more modern so I'm looking around on eBay for a small cheap maroon shutter. The classic trains 1970s special has an Alco/MLW S4 switcher listed that looks nice picture is of 7110 that would fit the bill. With grain train I have a walthers cornerstone grain building to build so looking for grain boxcars or might get a black CP Rail with the arrow cylindrical hopper maybe one or 2 I can weather up like I've seen with the name missing ect like if seen on a Canadian site I can type in running numbers of the stock and check dates and see pics. The passenger train I want it to consist of the beaver logoed budd streamlined cars with a baggage car a passenger car the dome car another passenger car to end or end with a park car just as a bit of through traffic filler

What era is CITX reporting mark thinking of bidding on a walthers proto grain hopper but not sure about the reporting mark being correct era

CITX is listed as PLM International/CIT Group. PLM came into being as a 'manager of railcar investments' (their words), and the business was sold off as CIT group in 2005

http://www.plm.com/about.asp

However, that covered hopper (Trinity 6351cu ft.) is quite modern, especially since it has conspicuity stripes (reflective yellow stripes) on it. It is a current Trinity product

https://www.trinityrail.com/productdetails.aspx?id=53&catid=27

They are very current: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4164561

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Cheers Adrian will need to keep looking for different hoppers to make a small consist up rather than me jut buy more cylindrical ones trying to vary it a bit to liven up running on the layout. Got outbid a while back for a Budd RDC i bid 45 quid the asking price it then went from that to 210 quid bizzare unless some people are despirate for it.My rolling stock book hasnt arrived yet maybe tomorrow morning but i suppose thats not a big deal it will come in handy when picking my choices to expand the stock

Found a website yesterday that had shots of a depot in 1974 with one shot showing an L&N boxcar in frame was this common. Will send the pics to myself from work to post up what I mean they also showed the Canadian Pacific Railways boxcars in the sort of indented logo word below word scheme is the best I can explain it pics will show all

Found a website yesterday that had shots of a depot in 1974 with one shot showing an L&N boxcar in frame was this common. Will send the pics to myself from work to post up what I mean they also showed the Canadian Pacific Railways boxcars in the sort of indented logo word below word scheme is the best I can explain it pics will show all

The 'three step' logo - yes, that was very common in the 70s; Spans The World was infrequent, though there were a few around, and the lovely script logo was quite common though, if my recollection is correct, it was less common on boxcars than the 'three step'.

...and, especially in the wheat harvest season and later, there was a vast array of boxcars from practically anywhere CP could hire them!

Hi James and John,

Canadian Pacific  boxcar liveries went through a number of changes over the years, from CanadianPacific Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment by John Riddell and Canadian Railcar Pictorial vol 1 by Richard Yaremko for cars painted at the following dates the order should* be

Pre 1947 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific" spelled out in one line or  in two lines centre justified.

1947 - 1951 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific Spans the World" lettering 

1951 - August 1962 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific Railway " Stepped Block Lettering 

August 1962 - June 1968 Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific" in script lettering, from around 1967 special purpose boxcars were painted green (newsprint), orange with red lettering (insulated/heated)

June 1968 -1988 - CP Rail Multimark livery, boxcars were painted action red (bright red)  except newsprint cars (action green), insulated/ heated cars (action yellow) and some special purpose cars (action yellow)

From 1988 CP stopped applying the multimark but retained the CP rail liveries and branding until aroun the mid 90's by this time a number of used 50' cars had joined the roster in a range of liveries. 

From 1998 - new boxcars were boxcar red  with "Canadian Pacific Railway" in three lines, left justified.

I'd recommend both the Riddell book (many of the pics in it date from the 70's) and the Richard Yaremko series, you'll probably have to scour Amazon for second-hand copies but at least there's no import VAT on books if you find a copy in the States or Canada.

Hope this helps

Nick

Hi James and John,

Canadian Pacific  boxcar liveries went through a number of changes over the years, from CanadianPacific Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment by John Riddell and Canadian Railcar Pictorial vol 1 by Richard Yaremko for cars painted at the following dates the order should* be

Pre 1947 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific" spelled out in one line or  in two lines centre justified.

1947 - 1951 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific Spans the World" lettering 

1951 - August 1962 - Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific Railway " Stepped Block Lettering 

August 1962 - June 1968 Boxcar red with "Canadian Pacific" in script lettering, from around 1967 special purpose boxcars were painted green (newsprint), orange with red lettering (insulated/heated)

June 1968 -1988 - CP Rail Multimark livery, boxcars were painted action red (bright red)  except newsprint cars (action green), insulated/ heated cars (action yellow) and some special purpose cars (action yellow)

From 1988 CP stopped applying the multimark but retained the CP rail liveries and branding until aroun the mid 90's by this time a number of used 50' cars had joined the roster in a range of liveries. 

From 1998 - new boxcars were boxcar red  with "Canadian Pacific Railway" in three lines, left justified.

I'd recommend both the Riddell book (many of the pics in it date from the 70's) and the Richard Yaremko series, you'll probably have to scour Amazon for second-hand copies but at least there's no import VAT on books if you find a copy in the States or Canada.

Hope this helps

Nick

Thanks - yes, I was relying on my memory of what I saw going through Regina in the 70s.

It's interesting that the 1947 Spans The World lettering seems to have disappeared before the earlier scheme; I don't think I ever saw Spans The World on a boxcar in service in the 70s, but the earlier scheme was certainly still around.

I imagine the "Spans the World" livery was quite rare because it was only applied for four years. That said it was during the postwar boxcar building boom.

I recall from an old CDS dry print catalogue that it was applied to Canadian built cars when built, the Pullman Standard built International of Maine cars seem to have been delivered in the old "single line" scheme.

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• RMweb Premium

I'm not at home at the moment with access to my slide collection but I rode The Canadian across Canada on CP rails in 1978. I don't remember seeing any loco in anything but the bright CP red. There were many of the Government grain pool hoppers but there were still some boxcars in service. If you still need help in about 3 weeks PM me and I will try and scan some photo and post them.

Certainly there were enclosed autoracks at that time on the UP main line but I did see open ones in the Detroit area.

Jamie

Concidered today getting myself some more gondolas and having some scrap loads like i have in my CSX (B&O) gondola so have been trawling ebay and found a couple of red CP ones are they correct for the period but need to do more research and find pictures also been on the lookout for an L&N boxcar for the grain train as a leased in one. I suppose i could technically use my SP ones in a grain consist but i thought for realism effects id go from what iv seen in pictures