"Scale Rails International" new magazine.

F-UnitMad

Almost as a successor to Model Trains International, but with a new Editor and appearance (A5 size, & full colour throughout) Scale Rails International has now published Issue #1.

Early days yet and AFAIK the only web presence is this Blogspot.

http://scalerailsint.blogspot.co.uk/

Publishing bi-monthly, Subs are payable by cheque only (remember them?? icon_razz.gif ) at the moment anyway*. £21.60 made out to I.C. Ford and sent to 34, Hamsey Crescent, Lewes, Sussex BN7 1NP will get you the next 6 issues.

*Paypal is being set up soon, I understand.

• Like 1

The lack of an online subscription system, or subscription form(with publicity info) to print off has been a sore point with some of us on the old MTI forum. It is a pity, because I think it can be successful, but the free business advice by some of us has been seen as criticism. Pity as you can not currently subscribe if you are not in UK or have a UK bank account, and then you need a cheque book. My children range from just over 30 years old down to 20, and none of them have ever had a cheque book . They do most deals online, and I used to asked for stamps quite often.

In many ways I prefer the old days with cheque books, but remember having to wait for cheques to clear. Bank reorganisation has also meant I no longer have a local branch of my bank, so have to drive to another town to pay any cheque in. Systems such as Paypal take their cut, but when all the pennies are added up, it is not such a bad deal.

Luckily both systems are running side by side for the moment, so some have the choice , but others do not.

As I understand it, Paypal/overseas facility is on the way. So a bit of patience is required. No doubt all issues from No1 will then be available to everyone.

To be honest going from MTI ending to someone stepping up to the plate & doing a "different but similar" mag within a very short space of time I think is quite remarkable.

I agree, but when Chris said he was planning the magazine, he was new to the MTI forum, and was not known to me, possibly others. Anyone can say they will produce something, fine, but he asked for money up front. Sorry, but that sounded alarm bells. It was nothing personal, just following advice given out frequently.  There are too many stories with very similar beginnings which have ended badly.

As for Paypal, he stated, only the other day, that cheques suited him better, and that has excluded not just  non UK potential customers but also anyone without a cheque book. Any business advisor would recommend as essential some form of online payment system(Paypal being the easiest).

I agree, but when Chris said he was planning the magazine, he was new to the MTI forum, and was not known to me, possibly others. Anyone can say they will produce something, fine, but he asked for money up front. Sorry, but that sounded alarm bells. It was nothing personal, just following advice given out frequently.  There are too many stories with very similar beginnings which have ended badly.

As for Paypal, he stated, only the other day, that cheques suited him better, and that has excluded not just  non UK potential customers but also anyone without a cheque book. Any business advisor would recommend as essential some form of online payment system(Paypal being the easiest).

There's long been a fairly large overlap, in Southern England at least, between MTI readers and members of the Wealden Group. Chris Ford is very well known to us through that and the events he's organised, which was why I was happy to subscribe. A number of MTI's authors are contributing to SRI and it follows similar themes. The subscription was a fairly small leap of faith and, having just received the first issue, I'm impressed. 

Scale Rails Internatonal is a new magazine but, in addressing the gap left by MTI's closure, I think Chris was right to move to publication as quickly as possible. If he'd gone through the whole development, dummy, pilot edition cycle that a magazine looking for a completely new readership and on a much larger scale, such as MRJ did when it was new, needs then a lot of the momentum and general support for the project would probably have dissipated.  

Edited by Pacific231G

David,

If you or another one in the group had come forward and stated that when Chris first proposed the magazine then it would have sounded a lot more positive. Having been involved in the original discussion, we were all trying to help, but Chris seemed to turn his back on us. How ever much work he has done, it is not wise to ignore those who want to be supportive.

On most of the online forums I have been on, there is somewhere to introduce yourself. Quite often this generates a lot of welcome messages, especially if the person is known to other members. I will have to double check, but I can't remember Chris doing this. That would have cleared up any misunderstanding that has happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read Chris's piece in latest copy of Railway Modeller, about exhibitions and remembering that people pay to come into the exhibition, so you as an exhibitor should put a good show on. Same line as , customer knows best, and listening to what the customer suggests. I have made suggestions as a potential customer, but had them thrown back in my face.

• 1 month later...

Issue 2 has now appeared.

It is still too NG-biased for my preference but it's still early doors. I know, like any editor, Chris can only publish what he has been sent so perhaps I need to get my own finger out and write something myself...

steve

Issue 2 has now appeared.

It is still too NG-biased for my preference but it's still early doors. I know, like any editor, Chris can only publish what he has been sent so perhaps I need to get my own finger out and write something myself...

steve

Like what I did :yes: .... due for Issue 3 because I can waffle & it didn't fit in #2 :blush:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Issue 3 out early November. I'm a bit biased by this one as it has my article on the long closed Old Pool Bank Quarry Railway in West Yorkshire.

Issue 4 just out.

Think Chris is starting to get the balance between modelling & prototype articles. Some simple adverts but not pages from them the big box shifters.

I agree. No. 4 has a good mixture of articles including some good ideas on baseboards, backscenes and scenery, some interesting layouts and layout ideas including a real life Inglenook Sidings. I wonder if anyone has modelled Halifax St. Pauls? 

There's a group at Keighley doing it in 4mm at the moment ... and wasn't Halifax King Cross based in part on it?

Pellon would make a very interesting layout too - even got a built in inglenook.

I assume my sub ran out as I haven't seen Issue 4 and I can't remember how many issues I signed up for.

How about a review of Issue 4 in the magazine section?

steve

Steve,

I think subscriptions were for six issues so might be caught up in the Christmas/New Year post - my copy only arrived on New Year's eve.

Well I'm glad I took the chance and subscribed to SRI at the beginning... its a great little magazine. It was nice to see the Thunder's Hill article. I've been very impressed with Mr Bossom's modelling ever since seeing some of his 3mm wagons on a visit to the Bexhill club rooms way back in the seventies. I think better captioning of some of the photos is needed though. Just where is the location that B/W photo in the Halifax article? I thought at first it might be Pellon, but it doesn't quite correspond to the track plan given, so I'm none the wiser.

Alan.

Edited by awoodford

• RMweb Premium
I think better captioning of some of the photos is needed though. Just where is the location that B/W photo in the Halifax article? I thought at first it might be Pellon, but it doesn't quite correspond to the track plan given, so I'm none the wiser.
Alan.

I agree the articles could do with better captions, but looking at the picture under a magnifying glass, I think that black & white picture is Halifax St Pauls, taken from the Queens Road/ Park Lane junction, although again it doesn't quite match up with the published track plan. 

If you look at this site, http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/halifax_st_pauls/ and compare the article photo to the 1931 aerial view the bridge and the water tower are the same and under magnification you can make out another siding round the back of the water tower which is shown leading to a small turntable, around the length of two open wagons.  The start of the station platform is just visible to the left of the photo.

There is no goods shed as such, unless it is that collection of huts bottom left of the photo, although I suspect they are more likely to be coal merchants offices, the station building being out of shot to the left.

Moxy