211 replies to this topic

#201 wenlock

wenlock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:06

Quite fabulous Ian! I love outside framed saddle tanks and yours is a little gem!
  • Agree x 5
  • Thanks x 1

#202 Ian Smith

Ian Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:50

This weekend, Modbury was taken to the Epsom & Ewell show for its second public appearance.  The rather intensive railway service that the town enjoyed for the whole of the weekend revealed several issues that will have to be looked at, but on the whole the layout behaved reasonably well and seemed to be well received.  Below are a few photos to record the event...

DSCF2694.JPG

DSCF2698.JPG

DSCF2700.JPG

DSCF2701.JPG

DSCF2703.JPG

DSCF2709.JPG

DSCF2710.JPG

DSCF2713.JPG

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith, 30 April 2018 - 12:51 .

• Like x 24
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 7

#203 Mikkel

Mikkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationSomewhat rotten in the state of Denmark

Posted 30 April 2018 - 15:10

Looks very good Ian. I like the presentation. Is that a full history of Modbury at the front?

Edited by Mikkel, 30 April 2018 - 15:11 .

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#204 drduncan

drduncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 30 April 2018 - 15:56

It was wonderful to see Modbury on Saturday. It looked even better than I expected and it was good to chat to Ian too.
DrDuncan
  • Thanks x 1

#205 Ian Smith

Ian Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 30 April 2018 - 17:20

Looks very good Ian. I like the presentation. Is that a full history of Modbury at the front?

Mikkel,

Thank you.  The front panel paperwork simply tries to describe the "funny looking track", what 2mm finescale is and how it compares to N gauge, and goes on to describe how various layout elements have been constructed (track, buildings, trees, grass, etc).

It was wonderful to see Modbury on Saturday. It looked even better than I expected and it was good to chat to Ian too.
DrDuncan

Duncan,

Thank you.  It was good to meet you (always nice to be able to put a face to a name), and thank you for the kind comments.

Ian

• Like x 1

#206 Ian Smith

Ian Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:56

Just found a short clip of Modbury at the Epsom & Ewell 2018 show in the following video : https://www.youtube....h?v=1Fsx76gk5eA.  The footage starts at 18:00 (18 minutes into the video).  My thanks got to "Hils TheTrainLady" for including Modbury in her footage and sharing it on YouTube.

Ian

• Like x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#207 Donw

Donw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  • LocationMinehead

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:24

Running very nicely Ian

Don

• Thanks x 1

#208 Mikkel

Mikkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationSomewhat rotten in the state of Denmark

Posted 10 June 2018 - 14:31

Very pleased to see that clip Ian, it does add an extra dimension for those of us abroad to see it running. Looks like nice smooth action. The "mousehole" is quite effective, I hardly even noticed it despite watching the train exit directly through it. 

Edited by Mikkel, 10 June 2018 - 14:31 .

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#209 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationBiggar, South Lanarkshire

Posted 10 June 2018 - 16:33

A 'mousehole' can be well disguised if there are prominent scenic features around it which divert your eye. Nice to see the brass and nickel silver livery getting an airing!

Jim

Edited to correct predictive text (again)!

Edited by Caley Jim, 10 June 2018 - 16:36 .

#210 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 10 June 2018 - 19:13

Just found a short clip of Modbury at the Epsom & Ewell 2018 show in the following video : https://www.youtube....h?v=1Fsx76gk5eA.  The footage starts at 18:00 (18 minutes into the video).  My thanks got to "Hils TheTrainLady" for including Modbury in her footage and sharing it on YouTube.

Ian

Beautiful running qualities. Although having watched Mr & Mrs Queensquare’s 2FS layouts I’m not really surprised. Lovely stuff.
  • Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#211 Ian Smith

Ian Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 10 June 2018 - 19:28

Very pleased to see that clip Ian, it does add an extra dimension for those of us abroad to see it running. Looks like nice smooth action. The "mousehole" is quite effective, I hardly even noticed it despite watching the train exit directly through it. 

A 'mousehole' can be well disguised if there are prominent scenic features around it which divert your eye. Nice to see the brass and nickel silver livery getting an airing!

Jim

Edited to correct predictive text (again)!

Mikkel / Jim,

Hopefully the "mousehole" will eventually be better disguised when I put a large tree in the hedgerow bordering the corn field.  However because the trees (like all other features) are fixed in position, any positioned at the front of the layout will get in the way while I'm still working on things like trees in the wood, fencing, telegraph poles, etc so this tree will be one of the later things to get added in that area.  As for the "brass and nickel silver" livery - when you've only got 2 complete locos and 4 complete coaches it does mean that I'll have to keep running stock in "North Somerset Light Railway" livery to bolster the completed stock.  Indeed, having witnessed the interest that the paying public show in models under construction I actually think it is worthwhile having these "conversation pieces" running (especially on a layout that is operated from the viewing side).

Ian

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#212 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 10 June 2018 - 20:36

Mikkel / Jim,

Hopefully the "mousehole" will eventually be better disguised when I put a large tree in the hedgerow bordering the corn field.  However because the trees (like all other features) are fixed in position, any positioned at the front of the layout will get in the way while I'm still working on things like trees in the wood, fencing, telegraph poles, etc so this tree will be one of the later things to get added in that area.  As for the "brass and nickel silver" livery - when you've only got 2 complete locos and 4 complete coaches it does mean that I'll have to keep running stock in "North Somerset Light Railway" livery to bolster the completed stock.  Indeed, having witnessed the interest that the paying public show in models under construction I actually think it is worthwhile having these "conversation pieces" running (especially on a layout that is operated from the viewing side).

Ian

Looking fabulous Ian.

Regarding NSLR livery, I used to be wary of running locos and stock in the buff but, like you, was forced to because it was all i had. These days I have more than enough to run a reasonable service fully clothed as it where but still bring something running but unfinished as it generates a lot of interest.

It also highlights to the non-modelling visitors that things are hand made and not just taken out of a box.

Jerry 

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2FS, GWR, Baulk Road