New tabletop project

Well , after being caught up with "modellers block" I took the plunge over the weekend and finally started on my next project ;

post-24972-0-09541500-1435874503_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-86903200-1435874508_thumb.jpg

As can be seen the track plan is yet to be finalised so theres little to show at the moment although hopefully that will soon change.

Edited by col_kilgore

Hi Col,

I like the first one best but I wouldn't have the track parallel to the front of the board - I've always found layouts appear bigger and a bit more interesting if the track runs at slight angle as it gives more depth to the scene.

I look forward to following the build.

Ian

Can I ask what track pieces you are using ? Looking at you're pics, it looks like either Peco or Hornby set track points over Peco streamlined. Regardless of what track you're using, I do like plan 1. I think it offers that little bit more in respect of shunting. I have to agree with leadie69, in regards to being more interesting if the track runs at slight angle as it gives more depth to the scene. 

An alternative is this :

post-14327-0-23283000-1435904337.jpg

This plan uses the same number of points, 2 x right and 1 x left and is modelled on a 4' x 1' board. You're baseboard definately looks deeper than what I have drawn.

Or, if you have 2 x left and 1 x right set of points, this is another alternative :

post-14327-0-02353800-1435903448.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

Edit : In these two plans above, I have used Peco Streamlined SL-E91 and SL-E92 small radius points. ;)

Edited by gazmanjack
  • Like 2

Having built something similar, my biggest regret was using set-track points.

They are very easy to set up but can give you running issues with small locos losing contact and larger locos not liking the sharp angle.

If you can get streamline or live frog points now, they will save you frustration later.

Have fun,

Chris

Jenswell 

Chris_nicole said

Having built something similar, my biggest regret was using set-track points.

In my experience it is not usually the points but the locos that are the problem, especially older ones or kit/scratchbuilt chassis ones. I also always wire up the points live so not dependent on power going through tips of point blades. I have seen more problems on layouts using live frogs at exhibitions, especially when temperatures are high, rails expand and gaps disappear..

Not all setrack points are R2 radius, the Y point is nearly 3ft radius and a pretty good space saver. The standard R2 points work well, especially the current ones with a very short insulated bit,. Reverse curves  can be a problem, but even then problems might be down to incorrect back to backs on wheels.

A small layout with several smaller points looks a lot better than a similar sized one with only say one or two nearer scale length ones.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Can I ask what track pieces you are using ? Looking at you're pics, it looks like either Peco or Hornby set track points over Peco streamlined. Regardless of what track you're using, I do like plan 1. I think it offers that little bit more in respect of shunting. I have to agree with leadie69, in regards to being more interesting if the track runs at slight angle as it gives more depth to the scene. 

Hi mate , yes the points are just standard Peco set track points with streamline plain track ( the Hornby one is just for planning purposes ).

As the layout is being built with an eye to exhibition and  like my other layout I exhibited , be set up for use by the "public" I think code 100 and set track points are that little bit more rugged.

As for running qualities I have never really found set track points to be a problem even with short wheelbase loco's.

Thanks for the alternative plans as well , I will have a mess about and see what works .

I agree with you in regards to using code 100 track. Much more robust for the punters to have a play (operate) on, whilst at exhibitions. How do I know this, check my link below for the inglenook layout (bottom link). You will read in there that I have used a set track curved point and I can say it doesn't look out of place.

Looking foward to the build of this layout.

Cheers, Gary.

Interesting. I've been toying with a similar idea for a small club stand layout on a four foot by one foot board and I think I can just fit it in using Peco medium points

post-6882-0-78025500-1435968189_thumb.jpg

It's not an original plan. Chris Krupa built something very similar in 009 called Minbury Abbas and I've seen an 0e quarry layout with the same basic plan.

I've laid it out on the board and it just fits with these rules while providing work for a main line loco (diesel or small tender loco) that brings five wagons in and a small shunting loco that only works the yard. With shorter British wagons it could probably handle rather more. 

Though it's slightly different, you might also find the plan of the real Valmont silo here http://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/standard-gauge-lines/

useful.

Although the real location was a local grain silo shunted using capstans, a small industrial loco could easily work it instead and they were quite common for industrial set ups like this in many countries where they never ventured onto the main line.  It was long closed when I found it but I think the operating pattern at Valmont would be typical of many private sidings where the local pick-up goods picks up full wagons from the exhange siding closest to the main line and then drops off some empties. The points connecting the industrial yard to the main line are then closed and the industrial loco shunts them one or two at a time for loading then leaves them for the main line loco to pick-up..

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update

After mucking around for a bit , have decided to go with the simple plan ;

post-24972-0-54250000-1436998186_thumb.jpg

I know its limited the operation a bit , but , to me it just works better visually . So track laid and wired up , now to make a start on the scenery , ballasting etc etc !

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 4

Right , point rodding.

Some thing nice and simple using one of many variations on a theme ;

post-24972-0-94897000-1437077763_thumb.jpg

Just uses a connection from inside a choc block on the end of the wooden rod ;

post-24972-0-21907400-1437077778_thumb.jpg

Just needs needs cutting down a bit on the front ;

post-24972-0-19696700-1437077769_thumb.jpg

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 2

Simple and elegant solution to throwing the points. :imsohappy:

One suggestion to stop the over-throw of points is to place pins (nails/screws etc) through the dowels to limit the amount of travel. This would be beneficial if you insist that the punters operate the layout at future exhibitions.

post-14327-0-31593500-1437124292.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 2

Simple and elegant solution to throwing the points. :imsohappy:

One suggestion to stop the over-throw of points is to place pins (nails/screws etc) through the dowels to limit the amount of travel. This would be beneficial if you insist that the punters operate the layout at future exhibitions.

attachicon.gifDowel Point Throw.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

I was actually thinking of something along similar lines , will have a muck about and see . :mail:

Anyway as my Beloved has gone out for the afternoon I can get messy ;

post-24972-0-54185700-1437240140_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-69514600-1437240167_thumb.jpg

I fancied something  little different from the usual stone retaining walls so mocked up some iron piling using Wills box profile sheet ;

post-24972-0-28509300-1437240349_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-30515800-1437240354_thumb.jpg

Obviously still needs painting up and setting in but I quite like it . The only slight problem is the Wills sheets are a bit thick and dont have the profile on the reverse.

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 1

Make sure you empty your 'Beloved's' vacumm cleaner before she gets home... staff_muttley.gif

Cheers, Gary.

Dont worry all evidence of the crime was dealt with , :angel:

Anyway , lets get some grass growing , so out with the puffer bottle ;

post-24972-0-91968500-1437321659_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-80850200-1437321666_thumb.jpg

Here we have a pic of my exotically garish rockery ;

post-24972-0-67044500-1437321674_thumb.jpg

Not really of course , just an idea I came up with for shrubbery , the brown stringy stuff is I think nylon unravelled from one of the snapped drawstrings from my daughters school kitbag. It strarted out bright yellow so just coloured it with  some brown paint and left it to dry .PVA was then brushed over it and some flock was liberally sprinkled on. The piece to the side shows the before and after .

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 5