RAILEX 2016

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

.........this saves you encountering all the nutty drivers around the estate on the way out.

Ian G

I came close.....sorry, VERY close to meeting one of those on the way in on Saturday.

Hopefully he was on his way for an Opthalmic appointment at the Hospital.  And if he wasn't then he should've been....

After several years of indecision I finally went Sunday with my mate Bryan (who thankfully did all the driving!) and, even though it is a long way from oop Norf, thought it was well worth it.  We arrived just after 9.00 and found a decent parking spot, had a spot of second breakfast, and then joined the queue for a 10.00 entry.  We finally got kicked out at 5.10, over 7 hours later - and I still didn't see everything!  To much chatting and perusing possible purchases.  Sorry not to see you there Captain K. or the many other RMWebbers who must have been there too (ChrisF, Kelly, Tim V, Gordon A. apart).  Will I go again next year?  Well, unlike my solitary visit to Warley, I think I might!

EDIT - forgot to mention Leander - sorry Peter!

After several years of indecision I finally went Sunday with my mate Bryan (who thankfully did all the driving!) and, even though it is a long way from oop Norf, thought it was well worth it.  We arrived just after 9.00 and found a decent parking spot, had a spot of second breakfast, and then joined the queue for a 10.00 entry.  We finally got kicked out at 5.10, over 7 hours later - and I still didn't see everything!  To much chatting and perusing possible purchases.  Sorry not to see you there Captain K. or the many other RMWebbers who must have been there too (ChrisF, Kelly, Tim V, Gordon A. apart).  Will I go again next year?  Well, unlike my solitary visit to Warley, I think I might!

It was good to put a face to a name. Sorry if I was a bit out of it, brain fog was proving particularly troublesome that day, so concentration was about 0.0005 seconds at best. But as you say, it was well worth the effort.

Sorry not to see you there Captain K. or the many other RMWebbers who must have been there too... 

Yup, I can vouch for the fact that the Good Captain was there on the Sunday (as I spoke with him!). As were several other RMwebbers from SWAG/DRAG. John F (Re6/6) seemed particularly taken by the little layout ('An Clár', 2mm scale narrow gauge) I was operating at the time...  :thankyou:   

We do try our best to ensure that everyone who attends Railex either as a layout, trader or visitor has a positive experience, so first impressions are important. So if coming by car or using the vintage bus we try to ensure even before you get in the hall the welcome given by our club members or bus team is both helpful and positive.

When layouts and traders arrive I try to take them to their spot and show them were the free teas and coffees are.

David

David,

On behalf of the 'Weydon Road' crew your efforts are much appreciated. Amongst the many plus points:

• the information pack for exhibitors sent before the show was the best I have seen
  • we were greeted and directed to unload quickly and efficiently
  • the accommodation in the Olympic Lodge could not be closer
  • we had many interested observers (we have never seen so many photos taken!)
  • loading up at the end is always a chore (we have to use a big van with a tailgate), but once again we were marshalled courteously, effectively and efficiently.

Full marks to all at the club and thank you for inviting us - we had a great weekend. I am glad your efforts were rewarded with record numbers of visitors.

Julian

Yup, I can vouch for the fact that the Good Captain was there on the Sunday (as I spoke with him!). As were several other RMwebbers from SWAG/DRAG. John F (Re6/6) seemed particularly taken by the little layout ('An Clár', 2mm scale narrow gauge) I was operating at the time...  :thankyou:   

Well Phil, as we haven't actually met face to face for many years (and the last time I saw you I'm sure you had a beard and long hair?) I wouldn't have recognised you I'm afraid.  I am rather embarassed to admit that 'An Clar' is probably one of the things I missed! And it looks so good too!!  I did have a chat with Alan Whitehouse and Tim Shackleton though so the 2mm presence wasn't entirely overlooked!

And Kelly - not to worry, I know the feeling only to well!

Well Phil, as we haven't actually met face to face for many years (and the last time I saw you I'm sure you had a beard and long hair?) I wouldn't have recognised you I'm afraid.  I am rather embarassed to admit that 'An Clar' is probably one of the things I missed! And it looks so good too!!  I did have a chat with Alan Whitehouse and Tim Shackleton though so the 2mm presence wasn't entirely overlooked!

And Kelly - not to worry, I know the feeling only to well!

Hopefully next time I'll be a bit more with it (morphine + lack of sleep + 1.5 hours driving + back pain all conspired to leave me somewhat zombified by the time you introduced yourself).

Have just gone through the photos from the Sunday. Due to the above issues with my back and lack of alertness Natalie took the photos and they're shared here with permission. I'll go through them again a bit later and weed out some of them that might be a bit out of focus etc.

A few examples (chosen randomly):

David,

On behalf of the 'Weydon Road' crew your efforts are much appreciated. Amongst the many plus points:

• the information pack for exhibitors sent before the show was the best I have seen
  • we were greeted and directed to unload quickly and efficiently
  • the accommodation in the Olympic Lodge could not be closer
  • we had many interested observers (we have never seen so many photos taken!)
  • loading up at the end is always a chore (we have to use a big van with a tailgate), but once again we were marshalled courteously, effectively and efficiently.
Full marks to all at the club and thank you for inviting us - we had a great weekend. I am glad your efforts were rewarded with record numbers of visitors.

Julian

Hi Julian

I glad you found the pack helpful, where did you eat/drink on Friday & Saturday night? feedback is always useful, One thing about doing a pack in advance is that it not only gives options for those who are visiting but saves people asking me over the weekend places to eat drink etc.

I think we are pretty slick on getting people in and out of the stadium now.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Hats off to Big Dave Cheeseplant and the RDMRC crew for an enjoyable and very well organised show. Flying Pig and I went on Saturday, got parked ok (thanks, good clear directions, courteously given by the marshalls), the hall was busy, but not unreasonably overcrowded.  Excellent layouts and demonstrations and an appropriate selection of traders.

My moment of the show?  Standing at the gasworks end of Aylesbury, it was quite busy and difficult to see through the throng.  I moved out of the way for an old lady so she could have a look, and her cry of astonishment and joy at seeing her childhood was something to cherish.   Also good to see one of the guys from Rolvenden taking time to not just talk to a couple of keen children but also letting them go round the back of the layout to see behind the scenes.

Ralph

Lambton58

Hi

We went on the Sunday. Good show as usual, even if a long drive. Trying to avoid buying much at the moment until I have built what I have already bought! Saw the odd RM Web badge, and think I saw Kelly. Sorry for not introducing myself but tend to be a bit shy.

I had myself scanned by Modelu at the Nottingham show. Does work well, although they say they have problems with glasses (if you wear them and want yourself scanned then maybe buy some cheap ones and pop the lenses out for the scan). Need to get around to painting myself!

We got there at about 1pm and had no major problems parking.

All the best

Katy

Hi

We went on the Sunday. Good show as usual, even if a long drive. Trying to avoid buying much at the moment until I have built what I have already bought! Saw the odd RM Web badge, and think I saw Kelly. Sorry for not introducing myself but tend to be a bit shy.

I had myself scanned by Modelu at the Nottingham show. Does work well, although they say they have problems with glasses (if you wear them and want yourself scanned then maybe buy some cheap ones and pop the lenses out for the scan). Need to get around to painting myself!

We got there at about 1pm and had no major problems parking.

All the best

Katy

I am rather hard to miss when using the scooter, so you probably did see me if so :)

I have attended Railex for quite a few years, either assisting a trader of as an exhibitor and have perhaps become a little blasé about the quality of the show and the organisation.

David and the RDMRC team are to be congratulated on repeatedly providing a superb exhibition. Some aspects of the venue provide a real challenge, notably the poor access for loading and unloading and the typically bad ventilation provided by sports halls but they manage the  arrival and departure of exhibitors, traders, etc. very well.

Well done to all concerned!

• RMweb Gold

There is a question I'd like to ask fellow exhibitors - did you experience any running issues, particularly on Saturday morning?

Normally both my layouts run very smoothly but Phil Copleston & I both noticed the locos stuttering somewhat, despite apparently clean wheels & track. This is unusual as despite the small size, we get pretty good running.

Phil took some clean plain paper and simply wiped over the rails. That did the trick.

I'm wondering if there was something in the air which could have condensed on the rail head. It was fairly humid in the hall and there is a swimming pool next door.

Mark

Phil took some clean plain paper and simply wiped over the rails. That did the trick. I'm wondering if there was something in the air which could have condensed on the rail head. It was fairly humid in the hall and there is a swimming pool next door.

Liquid excitement, I expect!

Seriously, it was an unusual and baffling occurance. The paper-wipe treatment certainly cured the problem - at least temporarily - but had to be repeated every 20 minutes or so to remove an oily carbonised film from the railhead on both layouts. Like Mark, I put it down to something in the air. But other operator's feedback would be welcome...

Liquid excitement, I expect!

Seriously, it was an unusual and baffling occurance. The paper-wipe treatment certainly cured the problem - at least temporarily - but had to be repeated every 20 minutes or so to remove an oily carbonised film from the railhead on both layouts. Like Mark, I put it down to something in the air. But other operator's feedback would be welcome...

Wibdenshaw ran immaculately for both days without any cleaning of track or locos. Nothing failed to turn a wheel when required to, except due to operator error. However once set up and tested that it works, Wibdenshaw is covered overnight with lightweight plastic sheeting, so that may help. See photo below.

post-7146-0-07573800-1464786401_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

No particular problems on Saturday on Clutton, but it was at the other end of the hall from the 2mm stands.

I would not consider putting plastic sheeting over the layout, temperature differences in sports halls between full of people up day time and empty overnight could lead to condensation.

At the end of the day, sports halls are not a good venue - but there isn't a lot of choice when organising shows.

There is a question I'd like to ask fellow exhibitors - did you experience any running issues, particularly on Saturday morning?

Normally both my layouts run very smoothly but Phil Copleston & I both noticed the locos stuttering somewhat, despite apparently clean wheels & track. ........

Yes, Coldfair Green had more stuttering than usual (we aim for none!), and the rails were dirty on our regular cleaning. We clean the rails with a meths-soaked cloth at the end of each operating run, typically ever 2.5 hours.

However, not sure whether the dirt we found on the rails was massively more than some other venues.

- Nigel

We had quite a few electrical problems on Saturday morning on Weydon Road, but these were down to a controller where the wires were broken inside the cable sheath; this took a bit of finding as the fault was intermittent. Other than that, the usual 'survival of the fittest' process meant that we had good running (bar the odd operator hiccough) by Saturday afternoon and thereafter.

Julian

• RMweb Premium

Although non of the layouts I have been or am associated have ever been to Railex, they have mostly had problems with dirty track when we have exhibited in sports halls and the NEC where the ventilation is poor. We clean the track with ipa which seems to do the trick.

Thanks guys for your thoughts on dirty track at Railex. It was a super show and I thoroughly enjoyed both days operating Mark Fielder's (2mmMark) 'An Clár' and 'The Pizza' (2mm narrow gauge, 6.5mm gauge). But electrical pick-up is always a problem by the nature of the way we power our little trains. Made worse by the variable atmospheric conditions in which we insist on exhibiting them, the poor little things!  

Of course, we repeatedly cleaned our track in the traditional ways (nail polishing stick, mildly abrasive block, wipe over with a cloth, etc.). But our persistent poor track issues at Railex seemed to reoccur very quickly soon after cleaning. So I tried a small piece of folded white paper to wipe over the railhead and the amount of black muck it picked up was astonishing! Closer examination seemed to suggest an oily film containing carbon or fine dark particles. After wiping with the paper, running immediately improved with no stuttering - for a while. Loco wheels were also cleaned using a Minitrix electrified brass-wire wheel-cleaning block. But after ten minutes or so the problem started to reoccurred.

Then Mark hit on the idea of rubbing the railhead immediately after cleaning with a broad-headed graphite pencil depositing dry carbon on the railhead, which helped a lot thereafter. It may somehow have 'protected' the rail-wheel interface thus inhibiting micro-sparking, long known to be the source of carbon build-up on model railways. 

I am not a chemist, but my co-operator and I pondered that atmospheric chlorine from the nearby swimming pool was reacting with aerially suspended micro-particles of dust (usually organic-based, such as skin flakes and hair), which when subject to electrical discharge (sparks) resulted in an oily carbon deposit on the railhead. We were using DC, not DCC, so the electrical charge involved was low - about 6-8 volts at about 0.5 amps. And 2-mil narrow gauge trains are relatively light and consequently susceptible to pick-up problems.  

The point of this missive is to figure out what was occurring. I had not experienced this before, at least not to such an extent so rapidly and repeatedly. It seems from your earlier responses that this issue was not uniform across the hall.

Perhaps the chemists amongst you may care to comment further...

I wonder is the dirty track was picked up from the Finescale in 48 hours next door as they were using power tools glue and other bits and bobs that could generate dust and other dirt. Also there were open doors close by this may have had an effect too.

There was also a cool draft running through the vents in the end wall, which caused someone to ask for the heating to be put on, which in turned popped the tempreture in the hall up, close to where the 2mm area was, I soon asked for it to be turned off again as it got very hot!

Feedback seems to have been positive to Railex so I think we are doing something right. Although it is always good to hear what we can do to improve things for future years.

David

Archived