New etched wagon chassis

Chris Higgs

I am starting work on some new wagon etched underframes, and am sharing my thoughts here, primarily to see if anyone else is or knows someone who is working on these, so as to avoid duplication.

BR 1/179 Anhydrite hopper - for the NGS body, although I may also make an alternative etched hopper body available as an option.

BR 1/163 et al Ironstone hopper - for the NGS Body.

LMS/LNER/BR Pipe Wagon. Would cover all types of fitted and unfitted brakegear. THe LNER style brakegear requires a different style body (which I may do using 3D printing) but can also be used as the underframe for a Conflat B.

LNER Tube wagon with 3D printed body

6-wheel Milk tankers. A bewildering variety of these from all of the big 4, which would use the tank of the Dapol model (but little else).

Other suggestions also welcomed.

Chris

As this seems to be an invitation for another wishlist thread :no: ... One that I've not seen Mr Jones, Mr Harris, the NGS or the society do, is the Herring Ballast Hopper wagon...

Thank you as ever Chris for your efforts to supply us with new and interesting wagons and coaches!  

Best Regards,

Chris.

Edited by MinerChris

I am starting work on some new wagon etched underframes, and am sharing my thoughts here, primarily to see if anyone else is or knows someone who is working on these, so as to avoid duplication.

BR 1/179 Anhydrite hopper - for the NGS body, although I may also make an alternative etched hopper body available as an option.

BR 1/163 et al Ironstone hopper - for the NGS Body.

LMS/LNER/BR Pipe Wagon. Would cover all types of fitted and unfitted brakegear. THe LNER style brakegear requires a different style body (which I may do using 3D printing) but can also be used as the underframe for a Conflat B.

LNER Tube wagon with 3D printed body

6-wheel Milk tankers. A bewildering variety of these from all of the big 4, which would use the tank of the Dapol model (but little else).

Other suggestions also welcomed.

Chris

Apparently there is already a kit for the 1/163 Ironstone hoppers from Stephen Harris. Goodness knows how I missed it. Anyway, I won't be doing that one now, and shows the value of putting up this post.

Search for bryn's herring on rmweb. I've seen the finished object but I believe he is too busy with other commitments at the moment.

Also seen here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/36645-pixies-workbench-parkends-stead/page-8

The knowledge of RMWeb knows no bounds! Sadly from the topic content, Steve seems to have had difficulty from getting these from Bryn previously. Nonetheless I will try and contact him to see if the artwork still survives, and if he is prepared to let anyone else borrow it for personal etching.

Best Regards,

Chris.

The knowledge of RMWeb knows no bounds! Sadly from the topic content, Steve seems to have had difficulty from getting these from Bryn previously. Nonetheless I will try and contact him to see if the artwork still survives, and if he is prepared to let anyone else borrow it for personal etching.

Best Regards,

Chris.

Steve will probably confirm, but I took the nagging and bullying to be reference to Bryn designing the etches, not making them available. IIRC, they were designed on CAD, so shouldn't be a problem to get etched if Bryn is willing to release them.

There is also a 3d printed version of the Herring that someone else has produced, and which I found on the Shapeways site a few weeks ago;

http://www.shapeways.com/product/EY5U7XWUX/gwr-design-p22-without-wheels?li=user-profile&optionId=42921170

Funnily enough I saw Bryn a couple of weeks ago. He was leaning on the veranda of a Southern brake van at the Foxfield Railway, and confessed that most of his time was taken with full size 'modelling' on heritage railways these days.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

Steve will probably confirm, but I took the nagging and bullying to be reference to Bryn designing the etches, not making them available. IIRC, they were designed on CAD, so shouldn't be a problem to get etched if Bryn is willing to release them.

There is also a 3d printed version of the Herring that someone else has produced, and which I found on the Shapeways site a few weeks ago;

http://www.shapeways.com/product/EY5U7XWUX/gwr-design-p22-without-wheels?li=user-profile&optionId=42921170

Funnily enough I saw Bryn a couple of weeks ago. He was leaning on the veranda of a Southern brake van at the Foxfield Railway, and confessed that most of his time was taken with full size 'modelling' on heritage railways these days.

Andy

This guy seems to have mis-interpreted where the brake lever goes. The 3D body could be a candidate for an etched chassis, if Bryn cannot be persuaded to get the fully etch available. 

Chris

Steve will probably confirm, but I took the nagging and bullying to be reference to Bryn designing the etches, not making them available.

Most certainly the former - I'm still indebted to Bryn for his time to develop these. As Andy said, a lot of his time has gone into breathing life back into Prototype HST recently - modelling in 1:1 scale I guess!

I really owe him a phone call, I'll point him in the direction of this thread.

Cheers,

Steve

Here's some more I might add to the list. Basically ones I have already done some work on

GWR Mink G

GWR Mink D

GWR 12' horsebox chassis

L&Y 10'6" wagon underframe

L&Y 12' wagon underframe

LNER grain hopper

BR Pallet van.

All of these would need 3D printed bodies to go with them.

BR 2/240 Lowmac. I did this one, but then couldn't build it - too long and spindly to get straight and true. I'm hoping a 3D printed spine will make it do-able.

Peco grain wagon chassis. I love the body of these, and it is basically accurate. But these is still a lot of missing information regarding the chassis.

Would the GWR horsebox underframe be to 1:152 or 1:148? (the latter might be able to make use of the Lima body moulding for the later variants as it seems to be reasonably close to scale. I have started drawing up an underframe for the Lima body but it's still a fair way from completion.

I have recently supplied some detail photos to a friend designing a 1:152 scale 3d printed Diagram 1/211 Palvan body, so a chassis suitable for this would be quite useful.

Andy

Hi Chris,

I have been half working on a chassis and detailing kit for the PECO grain wagon. I designed it for longer N gauge axles so the solebars would still line up with the strapping and end framework. I also designed a "comb" as a jig for replacing the existing body side strapping with the later style flat section, using thin microstrip. However, as you say there is a real lack of detail about underframe, which caused me to grind to a halt and leave the project to one side. This would be part of my first attempt at etching, so I'm sure you could do a better job anyway if you tackled it!

Justin

Would the GWR horsebox underframe be to 1:152 or 1:148? (the latter might be able to make use of the Lima body moulding for the later variants as it seems to be reasonably close to scale. I have started drawing up an underframe for the Lima body but it's still a fair way from completion.

I have recently supplied some detail photos to a friend designing a 1:152 scale 3d printed Diagram 1/211 Palvan body, so a chassis suitable for this would be quite useful.

Andy

Don't let me stop you on the horsebox if you are already working on it. It was my intention to use it with the Lima body, but perhaps also later with a 3D printed version.

I was meaning 1/235 for the pallet van - the big ones with Ford printed on the sides (not the Peco body, that is way too short). I think 1/211 just has a standard BR 10' underframe that we already have in the Shop.

1/221 would be another possible Pallet van. This had an 11' wheelbase and the underframe we do for LMS fitted cattle wagons is close enough for this. 1/221 and 1.235 also ran together in trains.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Hi Chris,

I have been half working on a chassis and detailing kit for the PECO grain wagon. I designed it for longer N gauge axles so the solebars would still line up with the strapping and end framework. I also designed a "comb" as a jig for replacing the existing body side strapping with the later style flat section, using thin microstrip. However, as you say there is a real lack of detail about underframe, which caused me to grind to a halt and leave the project to one side. This would be part of my first attempt at etching, so I'm sure you could do a better job anyway if you tackled it!

Justin

Please carry on if you feel you want to. I would suggest including two underframe bases, as I have done with the Dapol Grain hopper (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/twomm/files/NPCS%20instructions/), one for the 14.8mm axles and the other fore 12.25mm. Then people can choose whether they want to put in extra work to produce a model with a scale-width chassis.

Chris

I too have a horsebox chassis well under way. Footboards are the only parts that remain undrawn and then it can be laid out ready for tooling. It will be to 2mm scale, but that won't mean it will be unusable for the Lima body. This will happen regardless of anyone else's plans, understanding that if I'm last to finish it's likely I'll only be making them for myself, because I still consider it worthwhile. 

• Like 1

I too have a horsebox chassis well under way. Footboards are the only parts that remain undrawn and then it can be laid out ready for tooling. It will be to 2mm scale, but that won't mean it will be unusable for the Lima body. This will happen regardless of anyone else's plans, understanding that if I'm last to finish it's likely I'll only be making them for myself, because I still consider it worthwhile. 

A three horse race? As they say in some show or other, I'm out.

Do you have any plans for bodies, I have always felt that it would easier to just build from the ground up (either etched or 3D printed) rather than hacking around with the Lima bodies (if you can get one).

Chris

A three horse race? As they say in some show or other, I'm out.

Do you have any plans for bodies, I have always felt that it would easier to just build from the ground up (either etched or 3D printed) rather than hacking around with the Lima bodies (if you can get one).

Chris

There was a series of 4 articles in the GWR Journal (nos 76, 78, 79 and 81) which covered the various types. I have at least one of the articles, possibly issue 81, and it includes sketches from the diagram books and an underframe drawing. IIRC there was also an article in Railway Modeller with a drawing and photographs of the preserved example now resident on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. The last time I visited the railway it was in the bay platform at Winchcombe, so the underframe detail wasn't visible!

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=80

There is also a drawing in Nick Campling's Peter Tatlow's NPCS book (published by Pendragon).

The Lima body seems reasonably accurate for the N16 type, but as Rich found when he built his models, needs quite a bit of hacking for earlier versions.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

This chassis will come first, maybe followed by a diagram N10 body. That would be most obviously different from the Lima body because of the mouldings.

Edited by richbrummitt

There was a series of 4 articles in the GWR Journal (nos 76, 78, 79 and 81) which covered the various types. I have at least one of the articles, possibly issue 81, and it includes sketches from the diagram books and an underframe drawing. IIRC there was also an article in Railway Modeller with a drawing and photographs of the preserved example now resident on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. The last time I visited the railway it was in the bay platform at Winchcombe, so the underframe detail wasn't visible!

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=80

There is also a drawing in Nick Campling's NPCS book (published by Pendragon).

The Lima body seems reasonably accurate for the N16 type, but as Rich found when he built his models, needs quite a bit of hacking for earlier versions.

Andy

The series includes two different underframe drawings. The drawing with the later date is clearly for the N16 diagrams because the length over headstocks is correct for ends without turnunder, The drawing with an earlier date is probably contemporary with diagram N12. Neither are complete enough for all the details but between them there is enough to make a good representation for our scale. The shorter springs in a lot of photographs of vehicles later on in life confused me initially but I think that these were a modification.

I think the NPCS book you refer to is Historic Carriage Drawings Vol.3 by Peter Tatlow? (Nick Campling did Vol.1 and David Jenkinson did Vol. 2).

The lima body is reasonable for the N16 diagram. They are not too difficult to locate and last time I looked the prices were not nearly as silly as £10+ that I had witnessed. Replacing the ends with thinner material to remove the step in the moulding that shouldn't be on the sides is reasonably straightforward and gets the body length about right. It has the added bonus of deleting the holes where the roof clips are retained. The roof is by far the worst part of the body - we're all agreed the underframe is awful - with far too many upwards protrusions. An hour with a file and a few readily available parts can sort this though. Squaring up the droplight and replacing the glazing is a bit more fiddly.

I think the NPCS book you refer to is Historic Carriage Drawings Vol.3 by Peter Tatlow? (Nick Campling did Vol.1 and David Jenkinson did Vol. 2).

Oops - yes, you're right. I've edited my post accordingly. Have been referring to all three recently, so had got a bit muddled-up.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

On holiday this week, but I have got a bit distracted away from the etching towards some 3D CAD:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3744693/1/114?key=a0b7a5ca2c9f7e99b8d447929318e6ac

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3744693/1/6?key=d8733892838b26e5cc3adb9735d4469e

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3745821/1/6?key=2e0113465a89484762061980d3d297ec

It's only when you get into this stuff you realise just how much subtlety you are losing by having to turn things into an etch. I particularly like the rounded cornerplates.

To get a decent price, they're going to have to be sold as multipacks. But churning out some 3mm scale versions will just be a work of minutes.

These still have a few tweaks needed, and they're going to need some etched underframes.

Enough LNWR for now, I think I'll get out my L&Y book next...

Edited by Chris Higgs