New etched wagon chassis

Chris Higgs

These still have a few tweaks needed, and they're going to need some etched underframes.

Enough LNWR for now, I think I'll get out my L&Y book next...

Very interesting - I'll definitely be interested in a few, although I'm sure there's a few more LNWR wagons that'd be worth doing before the L&Y stuff!!

In addition to the etched frames have you have a source for suitable transfers. I've tried making contact about the pre-grouping transfers mentioned on the 2mm Association website but as yet I've not managed to get any response  - I've got a couple of the D6 wagons as well from shapeways for which I'm trying to source suitable transfers.

In addition to the etched frames have you have a source for suitable transfers. I've tried making contact about the pre-grouping transfers mentioned on the 2mm Association website but as yet I've not managed to get any response  - I've got a couple of the D6 wagons as well from shapeways for which I'm trying to source suitable transfers.

Scrub that request - the supplier on the website has just emailed me with current prices and availability for the transfers.

It's just as per the website

http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/philsmith/index.htm

It's just that the email address address didn't get a response so I tried the postal address given. Slightly confusing as there is another s&s models at a different address. Anyway Graham has been away for a few days and apologised for the delay and he still has transfers available so I'll be dropping an order in the post this afternoon.

P.s. I'll still be interested in some L&Y stuff as I'm sure some stock would have escaped on to the Premier Line.

Edited by Adrian
  • Like 1

P.s. I'll still be interested in some L&Y stuff as I'm sure some stock would have escaped on to the Premier Line.

No doubt. There is a photo in the LNWR Wagons Book of a 1 plank D103 at Swindon in 1933, still in LNWR livery. 10 years after the grouping. So with the common user agreement they got around. There is that famous photo of Inverness goods yard in 1923 with the sidings well stocked with GWR wagons

For the LNWR I have done D1, D2, D4, D84 and D103 which covers the most prevalent opens. I don't own Volume 2 of the LNWR Wagons book so cannot move onto the vans yet.

Whereas for the L&Y I found a whole bunch of high quality works drawings online at the L&Y Society website.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

For the LNWR I have done D1, D2, D4, D84 and D103 which covers the most prevalent opens. I don't own Volume 2 of the LNWR Wagons book so cannot move onto the vans yet.

Whereas for the L&Y I found a whole bunch of high quality works drawings online at the L&Y Society website.

Chris

Cheers - it looks like I'll have to double my order for transfers then! I've just bought a couple of D6's from shapeways and I note he has a D15 Beer Van in the pipeline. 

No doubt. There is a photo in the LNWR Wagons Book of a 1 plank D103 at Swindon in 1933, still in LNWR livery. 10 years after the grouping. So with the common user agreement they got around. There is that famous photo of Inverness goods yard in 1923 with the sidings well stocked with GWR wagons

Chris

L&Y wagons should go a treat with my saddle tank and Tin Tab (when finished!) so will be watching progress with interest

• Like 1

David Eveleigh was working on some etched LNWR stock in 2mm a year or two ago. I haven't heard much about them recently, but an email to him might get an update;

The list on the Small Suppliers area of the 2mm website shows the following as being under development;

D33 Box van
D15 Beer van
D26 Special cattle wagon
D445A Covered carriage truck
Horsebox
D43 Gunpowder van
Chassis for pair of single bolsters
Brakes and solebars to convert six Association 330 chassis for LNW wagons
D16 brake van
D17B 'Crystal Palace' brake van

Andy

David Eveleigh was working on some etched LNWR stock in 2mm a year or two ago. I haven't heard much about them recently, but an email to him might get an update;

The list on the Small Suppliers area of the 2mm website shows the following as being under development;

D33 Box van
D15 Beer van
D26 Special cattle wagon
D445A Covered carriage truck
Horsebox
D43 Gunpowder van
Chassis for pair of single bolsters
Brakes and solebars to convert six Association 330 chassis for LNW wagons
D16 brake van
D17B 'Crystal Palace' brake van

Andy

I thought these were already finished. I saw them at one of the recent AGMs. Or at least it was something LNWR.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I thought these were already finished. I saw them at one of the recent AGMs. Or at least it was something LNWR.

Chris

Certainly have all been built may even be some more than on the list.  Think they are being made available soon.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3744693/1/114?key=a0b7a5ca2c9f7e99b8d447929318e6ac

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3744693/1/6?key=d8733892838b26e5cc3adb9735d4469e

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3745821/1/6?key=2e0113465a89484762061980d3d297ec

Very interested to see if these will print successfully with sides, ends and floor at .5mm thick.

If they do I'm going to have to revise all of my designs likewise.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edited by edubs

Very interested to see if these will print successfully with sides, ends and floor at .5mm thick.

If they do I'm going to have to revise all of my designs likewise.

My opinion (fwiw) is that they will be on the fragile side with this thickness.

And flexible as well perhaps. I had problems getting open wagons accepted with sides and floor less than .8mm thick, but that was a couple of years ago, I made van sides slightly thicker than that even in the interests of rigidity.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Chris

Yes, I remember seeing them - I think it was the 2012 AGM (at Bedford). I don't recall seeing anything at the 2 subsequent AGMs, but I might have missed them.

Anyway, it will be good news if they are to be made available soon - I do like the LNWR brake vans in particular.

Andy

My opinion (fwiw) is that they will be on the fragile side with this thickness.

I will have to see. It's a pity that the Shapeways WSF is not of a higher finish quality. For it is certainly both strong and flexible. I have a 4mm scale roof 1mm thick that can be twisted through 90 degrees end to end will no ill effects.

Or perhaps I should just move to 3mm scale modelling. Then my sides will be the ideal 0.75mm thick...

Edited by Chris Higgs

Yes, I remember seeing them - I think it was the 2012 AGM (at Bedford). I don't recall seeing anything at the 2 subsequent AGMs, but I might have missed them.

Anyway, it will be good news if they are to be made available soon - I do like the LNWR brake vans in particular.

Andy

Thanks for the info - I will have to make enquiries  - looks like I'll be quadrupling my order for transfers!!!!

Here's the first of the L&Y designs

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3760293/0/114?key=83e343fdd7102afcca1fe3bb0c5277c3

Apparently if I do the two other 1-Plank designs (17'6" D2 and 20' D80) I will have covered 25% (by numbers) of all the wagons the Lanky ever built.

Chris

Sorry, Chris. Link doesn't work for me.  Takes me to Shapeways website but to an 'OOps can find it' page.

Jim

• 6 months later...

Chris,

Could I ask what cad software you use to design your 3D print models.   Is it Blender or something similar?   Oh and if I could be a pain and ask when the M7 chassis might be available?

Many thanks

Guy

Chris,

Could I ask what cad software you use to design your 3D print models.   Is it Blender or something similar?   Oh and if I could be a pain and ask when the M7 chassis might be available?

Many thanks

Guy

I use OpenSCAD, in conjunction with 2D drawings done using TurboCAD, which I then project into 3D. This is primitive compared to a proper 3D package, but has allowed me to do almost everything I would wish without learning a complete new set of skills. In fact OpensCAD does some task much quicker, as being a programming language you can reapply all your stuff to different 2D source file. All the LNWR wagons are done using one 3D file, with a different 2D drawing passed to it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A new 3D printed van, MR D357. The same prototype as one of the ecthed bodies from the shop. There is a fair bit you can do in 3D that you cannot etch (for example, the buffers!)

Chris

attachicon.gifmr d357 view 1.pngattachicon.gifmr d357 view 2.png

A selection of these vans are now available on Shapeways. Just search for D356, D357 or D362.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/327HE2HWH/2mm-pair-of-mr-d357-vans?optionId=62303885

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S7LC82DHL/2mm-pair-of-mr-d362-vans?optionId=62401095

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ADD5EYHER/2mm-mr-d353-and-d356-van-bodies?optionId=62303913

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 2 months later...

Its been a long time since I started and then suspended doing the BR Anhydrite hopper as a 2mm etched kit. Revistting the topic at last, I have decided instead to experiment with the 3D printed route. Obviously there are going to need to be some etched parts though.

post-1605-0-04956000-1499533671.png

post-1605-0-98742600-1499533678.png

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1