Penistone Goods train register 1971

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Whilst sorting my old railway documents I discovered that I was in possession of a train register book for Penistone Goods box from May 1971, this box was between Huddersfield Junction and Thurlestone 

Here's a sample page - notice the passenger trains - bell code 4 in the left hand column

post-6662-0-03511700-1438087531_thumb.jpg

Is this of interest to anyone if I were to photograph more pages and publish them here ? (not sure how quickly but I can slowly work through some more)

Sadly it would have just been the Huddersfield passengers by that date but I thought 4 was for an express? A few light engines in there as expected but a couple of 2-2 for bankers?

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it would have just been the Huddersfield passengers by that date but I thought 4 was for an express? A few light engines in there as expected but a couple of 2-2 for bankers?

Didn't the Huddersfield trains branch off at Huddersfield Junction ? - which was on the Sheffield side of this box ?

....they could have been diverted trains e.g. in 1973 due to severe flooding on the Hope valley route various class 1's were diverted via Woodhead.

Reading the 1972/73 Section M WTT for the Hope valley route 1E44 was the 16.35 Man Picc to Sheffield DMU, 1E53 was the 17.25 Man Picc to Sheffield DMU, 1E59 was the 18.35 Manchester Picc to Sheffield DMU, 1E64 was the 19.50 Man. Picc to Sheffield DMU..... these headcodes match the sequence in the right hand column of the register page above and suggest diverted Hope Valley trains.

I'd plump for single line working on the Hope valley due to accident, failure or other exceptional incident causing diversions via Woodhead.

Dave

....they could have been diverted trains e.g. in 1973 due to severe flooding on the Hope valley route various class 1's were diverted via Woodhead.

I'd plump for single line working on the Hope valley due to accident, failure or other exceptional incident causing diversions via Woodhead.

I had similar thoughts and checked the date in case of weekend engineering; it was a Tuesday.

A good little puzzle for a simple page; do you have any pages for dates either side of the one shown DAS?

• RMweb Gold

I had similar thoughts and checked the date in case of weekend engineering; it was a Tuesday.

A good little puzzle for a simple page; do you have any pages for dates either side of the one shown DAS?

Yep - quite a few days either side. I'll try and do a sample of a week so the traffic can be compared, give me a few days. 

• RMweb Gold

I remember many years ago, when I lived in Stocksbridge, being asked directions by a very embarrassed American lady to P***s- tone!

I had to chuckle and so did SWMBO, I believe the correct pronunciation is Pen-is-ton!

Back to topic, I do recall in the early to mid seventies frequent diversions via the Woodhead from the Hope Valley Line.

Cheers,

Aidan 

• RMweb Gold

Back to topic, I do recall in the early to mid seventies frequent diversions via the Woodhead from the Hope Valley Line.

And the late 70s, I had some fabulous trips behind class 40s over Woodhead.

Yep - quite a few days either side. I'll try and do a sample of a week so the traffic can be compared, give me a few days. 

Thanks Dave; it could be genuinely useful if I get round to the big "one day" layout.

I remember many years ago, when I lived in Stocksbridge, being asked directions by a very embarrassed American lady to P***s- tone!

I had to chuckle and so did SWMBO, I believe the correct pronunciation is Pen-is-ton!

Cheers,

Aidan 

Remember passing Penistone WMC on my way to the M1 in about 1986, on my way to Thaxted; the 'T' was missing.

You're waiting for the lottery win as well then Andy?

Mike.

That's the frightening thing when you work out the budget to do it justice. Torside Crossing from '44 to '74 keeps tapping on my shoulder.

• RMweb Gold

That's the frightening thing when you work out the budget to do it justice. Torside Crossing from '44 to '74 keeps tapping on my shoulder.

Orgreaves sidings to Woodhouse station is my weakness.

(Along with Victoria station, Bridgehouses, Blast lane goods, Nunnery LNWR/MR/GCR, Shepcote Lane, Darnall and the Cravens works, etc etc etc.)

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Orgreaves sidings to Woodhouse station is my weakness.

(Along with Victoria station, Bridgehouses, Blast lane goods, Nunnery LNWR/MR/GCR, Shepcote Lane, Darnall and the Cravens works, etc etc etc.)

Mike.

Hi

Guide Bridge to Godley would be my idea layout but would require some serious space. One day I may get Godley Junction finished.

Cheers

Paul

Archived