Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

The pictures have been changed again and are different to the ones the other day! The date now shows as NOVEMBER, unfortunately. I've paid for mine so I suppose it will be here for Christmas, which will be expensive with the Dapol GWR railcar, Hornby SECR H, Oxford N7, Bachmann birdcage set and narrow gauge "Peggy" all on order. At least when my wife asks me what I want for Christmas I can say "one or two things will be coming"!

In  the old days, the chances of having something southern appearing within a year was very slim. In the 90s I had to substitute the paucity of Southern models with ex-LNER stuff (closest railway to the South East, and my second preference at the time) until I had a full kit building program underway (which got postponed by my misses!).

Look at this year. First the Merchant Navies, then DJMs class 71, the last steam Golden Arrow coaches, then the 4-TCs, the L&B 00-9 locos, suddenly the Bullied diesels are coming out, the LSWR date stock, the Bachmann Birdcages, the Hornby H class. And we may yet also see Dapol's B4, Heljan's class 07 and the Hattons P class. How am I supposed to choose model of the year from that lot?

Fortunately the Brighton Atlantic is delayed until 2018!

Until this year, I never thought that I would have to pick'n'choose Southern items. Once the Bullied Diesel's were announced as coming now, I had to drop some south western based items to cope. Hopefully 10203 will drag its heals a bit (middle of 2018 will be fine) to allow me to go for DCC sound.

Edited by JSpencer

For those who don't get the Kernow weekly newsletter, yesterdays advised that the Bulleids 10201 and 10202 in BR black, have finished production and have left the factory for shipment. They are awaiting advise of the ship and sailing itinery.

Edited by rembrow

For those who don't get the Kernow weekly newsletter, yesterdays advised that the Bulleids 10201 and 10202 in BR black, have finished production and have left the factory for shipment. They are awaiting advise of the ship and sailing itinery.

Let’s hope there’s no more nonsense about demanding payment before they are allowed on board.

• RMweb Premium

At the Great Electic Train show this weekend, Hornby mag had its November issue on early sale and there is a great review of the Bulleid diesels in there. What a lovely iconic model. Even though I model the Eastern region I will just have to acquire one of these...

• RMweb Gold

At the Great Electic Train show this weekend, Hornby mag had its November issue on early sale and there is a great review of the Bulleid diesels in there. What a lovely iconic model. Even though I model the Eastern region I will just have to acquire one of these...

They also had one running very nicely on their Twelvetrees Junction layout !

Great photos of the model in the Nov Hornby mag review. It looks superb and the review advises it has smooth running and excellent pulling power. It was good to compare front photos of the model with photos of the prototype from an article about the prototype that was in the same mag. The front elevations seem to be taken at the same level. Initially I was concerned about how close the top of the front of the bogies were to the cab underfloor, noticed that the undercab floor was recessed back from the bottom of the cab and after peering at the prototype photo with magnifying glasses I could see, in shadow, the same recessed floor under the cab ends. It will be interesting to see how much vertical movement there is in the bogies. The model looks superb and must complement Hornby mag for the quality of their photos and colour printing. They also reviewed the new Hornby Coronation in the same edition. Both locos operated on LMR expresses at the same time at the end of their working lives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I was also VERY happy with what I saw in the Hornby mag review. Well done to Kernow and the manufacturer in China! I half expected never to see this one as I assumed it'd be behind the D6xx and as such far in the future so I was delighted to see the progress with this one.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone visiting the exhibition at Peterborough tomorrow can see one of the first production examples running on Hinton Parva. They also have an unpainted pre-production D600 Warship in action.

John.

Hi John

The Hinton Parva guys let me around the back to have a good look at them. Both the Bulleid and the North British looked good and were hauling fair sized trains with ease. :good:

• Like 1

No.  Now you want 3, you merely have to wait a while for the third one. . . .  :stinker:

I have three on order. It is possible to order four, the third appearing in black and green, but three will be enough. It’s not as if they’re 10000. I have three of them and two of 10001. I have for more than half a century (groan) thought they were the most beautiful diesels ever made. I got carried away. :nono:

Hi John

The Hinton Parva guys let me around the back to have a good look at them. Both the Bulleid and the North British looked good and were hauling fair sized trains with ease. :good:

Both pretty impressive in my eyes, I had the same privilege of a closer look in the fiddle yard.

Apparently they'll each be £170. Sounds a lot I know, but looking at the price of some of the kettle models, even at discount rates, I suspect that's good value in 2017.

I don't have an excuse either, with a notionally Eastern layout, but.......!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Both pretty impressive in my eyes, I had the same privilege of a closer look in the fiddle yard.

Apparently they'll each be £170. Sounds a lot I know, but looking at the price of some of the kettle models, even at discount rates, I suspect that's good value in 2017.

I don't have an excuse either, with a notionally Eastern layout, but.......!

John.

It was a pleasure to invite you both to take a closer look of both the Kernow Diesels, that ran impeccably throughout the weekend on the High Wycombe and District MRS layoutbHinton Parva.

I have three on order. It is possible to order four, the third appearing in black and green, but three will be enough. It’s not as if they’re 10000. I have three of them and two of 10001. I have for more than half a century (groan) thought they were the most beautiful diesels ever made. I got carried away. :nono:

Well this photo on e-bay may interest you then ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Railway-Larger-Negative-LMS-Diesel-10000-at-Bournemouth-on-B-Belle-12-7-53-/162715987542?hash=item25e2a0ee56:g:uC4AAOSwYwJZ5bbX

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It does look impressive. absolutely no need for one here though, no matter how attractive. I just wish Kernow would open McKernow in Glasgow and we could get some Scottish commissioned models .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It does look impressive. absolutely no need for one here though, no matter how attractive. I just wish Kernow would open McKernow in Glasgow and we could get some Scottish commissioned models .

But how many of us could afford a scale Forth Bridge? ;)

No fear of that. They will be moving to Anglia soon to help us Fentigers out. If they don't, the boys will move in on them. And we have a crocodile farm nearby (yes, really!), so we'll set them on to them too.

Stewart

So not tempted by Bulleid diesels 10201 and 10202 double heading the Royal Scot into Glasgow, especially if Kernow do them with the connecting doors fitted for double heading on the LMR, they have built that option into the tooling.