Parkside Dundas

Ben Alder

Happy to hear that these excellent kits will continue in safe hands. If the choice is no PD kits or PD kits for which I have to buy some wheels, I'll take that. If memory serves me correctly, I've only ever bought one RTR model with EM wheels so there's no difference.

• RMweb Gold

Never has there been so much scare mongering since the Brexit Referendum and even after the result no body actually knows what they will be getting in the future (applies to both)!

Mark Saunders

Whatever happens to either, my kits will be 20% cheaper come 2019!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what is happening to the wheel sets? Are they moving to Peco or staying with Parkside?

I was just about to order a couple of bags of 6.2mm wheels when I saw the announcement on their website

David

It's only the 4mm and 7mm standard gauge ranges that have moved to Peco, the NG side is continuing as Dundas Models.

New website www.dundassmodels.co.uk is not yet up-and running so far.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I will really miss Parkside Dundass at O Gauge Guild shows & their flexible approach to selling parts separately. I hope they don't end up like Coppercraft O gauge kits have done under Slaters ownership ? :(

Thankfully Parkside ended up with a manufacturer who isn't Coopercraft/ Ian Kirk/ Slaters, lets be thankful for that.

• RMweb Gold

Happy to hear that these excellent kits will continue in safe hands. If the choice is no PD kits or PD kits for which I have to buy some wheels, I'll take that. If memory serves me correctly, I've only ever bought one RTR model with EM wheels so there's no difference.

Ratio wagon kits, which have been part of the Peco empire for many years, include wheels so I don't envisage them marketing the ex-PD range any differently.

Whether they continue with PD's established wheel-exchange policy remains to be seen. My feeling is that they won't *, but a practical option might be to offer direct sales of kits minus wheels for the EM/P4 community whilst maintaining the OO-complete status of those supplied to the retail trade.

John

* Based purely on intuition - no inside knowledge!

Edited by Dunsignalling

I will really miss Parkside Dundass at O Gauge Guild shows & their flexible approach to selling parts separately. I hope they don't end up like Coppercraft O gauge kits have done under Slaters ownership ? :(

What's the matter with the ex Coopercraft kits in Slaters range?  I haven't done any and I was assuming that Slaters would add wheels, buffers and couplings from their range.  I did recently complete a Coopercraft wagon kit, they're not up to the standard of Slaters designed kits but can be made into a good model.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

Slaters increased the price of the ex-Coopercraft kits significantly, just added their wheels and other fitments.

Dava

Well yes, I did notice that the price is not far off Slaters regular range.  But with the essential bits and bobs added as I mentioned, that's a retail value of over 20 pounds, so perhaps not so bad.

The brakes on the 3 plank and the 5 plank seem to be all wrong in the Coopercraft kits.  Wonder if Slaters did anything about that.

John

• 2 weeks later...

What's the matter with the ex Coopercraft kits in Slaters range?  I haven't done any and I was assuming that Slaters would add wheels, buffers and couplings from their range.  I did recently complete a Coopercraft wagon kit, they're not up to the standard of Slaters designed kits but can be made into a good model.

John

The HUGE price hike after becoming part of the Slaters range for the same kit + a set of wheels ?? :(

Well yes, I did notice that the price is not far off Slaters regular range.  But with the essential bits and bobs added as I mentioned, that's a retail value of over 20 pounds, so perhaps not so bad.

The brakes on the 3 plank and the 5 plank seem to be all wrong in the Coopercraft kits.  Wonder if Slaters did anything about that.

John

Wasn't the original price about £8 or £9 from Coopercraft  ?

I wouldn't know about that Phil.  The kit I built was 3rd hand.  I have seen a picture of a Slaters/CC one plank built up and it appears that the buffers, couplings and wheels are now included from Slaters range.  So, as I say, with those improvements the price seems reasonable to me.

The brakes ARE wrong for DC though.  I recommend having a look at Barry Normans article in MRJ 174.

Apologies, :offtopic:

John

Edited by brossard

WARNING!!!

I went to Ratio House today and their stock of Parkside kits in the shop has been transferred to the Peco shop at Pecorama.

Expect some disorganisation for a while. I understand the packaging is to change to show PECO ownership.

WARNING!!!

I went to Ratio House today and their stock of Parkside kits in the shop has been transferred to the Peco shop at Pecorama.

Expect some disorganisation for a while. I understand the packaging is to change to show PECO ownership.

The Peco website's Parkside Models page has what may well be the new logo already on it, a neat blend of the original with the new owner's name on the 'maker's plate': http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=parkside

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand that Peco Parkside [if that is the name] will be at the Gauge 0 Guildex show at Telford 2-3 Sept which is good news.

Dava

I understand that Peco Parkside [if that is the name] will be at the Gauge 0 Guildex show at Telford 2-3 Sept which is good news.

Dava

That'll be a late addition as Peco is not listed in the Guildex guide, but I'll make a point of looking out for them and if they are there of having an inquisitive chat. Might even ask about the 4mm BH points...

That'll be a late addition as Peco is not listed in the Guildex guide, but I'll make a point of looking out for them and if they are there of having an inquisitive chat. Might even ask about the 4mm BH points...

If you get a chance as about short and medium, please?

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...

Parkside by Peco (I think that will be the new branding) was much discussed at Guildex (the Gauge O Guild annual show) today, 2nd September, but with a number of people cross-jostling a meaningful exchange of information was not really practical.

The stocks, tools and moulds have been relocated to Buckfastleigh. A separate full-colour catalogue is in preparation with kits currently being built into finished models for the illustrations. The range will be maintained with the intention to expand it. Individual spares as such may not be made available as hitherto but intentions are to make more components available separately - e.g. underframes and possibly, if they can understand the contents and how they are produced, packs such as the sets of buffers.

As to future developments, e-mails are invited with genuine and practical suggestions. With respect to the 7mm range I pointed out that the underframes could be taken to be standard for many more wagon types than there are body kits currently produced and that several of the body kits could with minor adaptions produced further variants - for example the same sides to a standard van but with wooden, wooden with ventilator(s), corrugated steel or corrugated steel with ventilator(s) ends as alternatives - both the LNER and LMS did this and on 9' and 10' wheelbases. For the same body but with the variations in planking, thin, thick, both or sheet plywood as found on the SR. And then vacuum-braked or not. But not to cover the same ground as those manufacturers venturing into R-T-R models, which are primarily of BR and later designs.

For those interested in the update regarding the 4mm BH trackwork please see the relevant thread under Peco.

Note for Andy - it's probably time now for this topic to migrate to the Peco area?

The availability of sides,ends,floor and such to those who indulge in bashing and adapting was a fundamental part of the auld regime.

I mean some people don't want the underframes, especially if you are using etched chassis.

As a 4mm modeller, I feel the contact Peco the better. They appear to want to move forwards, which is to be applauded.

• 1 month later...

Aargh supreme woe.

I have been meaning to place a large Parkside order for a while now and just got to the point where I could commit to it - comprising multiple kits and decals to match - only to find that essentially its no longer possible to order all of this from one place.

I'm in Australia also and as with someone's previous comment one of the goals was to get everything in one go and minimise the shipping.

Were the decals produced by Parkside before or sourced in? Are the decals available from Peco now? Any suggestions where I could place a bulk order for 4mm kits and decals??

:-(

thanks

Antics (http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1412_1.html) have a good selection.  Perusing the site on Sunday, I found that some of the kits are "pre-order".  I'm overseas too and I've done business with Antics an several occasions.  They are quite good IMO.

The question of whether transfers will continue to be included in the kits is important.

John