Deltic DP1 and ?Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

That beggars belief!! :O

They need to go to specsave

Indeed. The "heavy shunt" to the nose effect does it no favours.

This is the same company which can't tell the difference between an original and a modified Hall at the moment. The Bachmann Deltic stands out like a sore thumb in their range the same way as the Hornby Dublo one did 50 years ago in their range. I'm sure it will get retooled in the not too distant future or another manufacturer or commissioner will seize the opportunity to produce a top class model of the production version.

• RMweb Premium

This is the same company which can't tell the difference between an original and a modified Hall at the moment. The Bachmann Deltic stands out like a sore thumb in their range the same way as the Hornby Dublo one did 50 years ago in their range. I'm sure it will get retooled in the not too distant future or another manufacturer or commissioner will seize the opportunity to produce a top class model of the production version.

Indeed, lets hope so like Dapol did with the western after Heljan's first run of it.

Even the 34 year old Lima Deltic had the basic shape of it correct, certainly the nose was anyway and was a lot closer than Bachmann's!!

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted to graft a Lima Deltic nose onto the Bachmann model and if it can be done successfully?

I'm not sure. There was a feature in one of the monthly's quite recently on a modification to the nose.

Cant remember what mag it was as I quickly glanced through it on a shelf in Smiths.

It involved from what I  (very vaguely) remember, removing the bonnet tops completely and rebuilding it with an etch and filler.

I used to do a lot of 'plastic surgery' on British outline diesels years past but even this looked like a right PITA and a lot  of work!

The finished model looked real nice but to me, I've got more interesting things to do with my time, probably the reason I didn't buy the mag in question for the Deltic mod when I saw it.

I too would buy a few of them if it looked right, but for me, I just cant take it seriously. Such a shame for what is such an icon of British engineering at its best.

Edited by Gary H

Its not just the nose and ride height that is not right. The rain strips on the grilles on the nose side are made far too heavy - Lima got this about right, and the thin supports in the middle of the radiator slats are missing, again Lima got this right. Not only that, but the sandbox fillers are molded on on the Lima model, but are just printed on the Bachmann, as is the access hatch on one of the noses, although I can't remember if Lima molded it or left it off all together. Not such a biggy as you could always assume you were looking at the loco from the other side. It is such a pity about the Lima model being under length!

Someone somewhere must be capable of doing a Deltic properly!

Even the 34 year old Lima Deltic had the basic shape of it correct, certainly the nose was anyway and was a lot closer than Bachmann's!!

If anyone wishes to swap their new inferior Bachmann Deltic for my old superior Lima one, I am up for it.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted to graft a Lima Deltic nose onto the Bachmann model and if it can be done successfully?

I'm not sure. There was a feature in one of the monthly's quite recently on a modification to the nose.

Cant remember what mag it was as I quickly glanced through it on a shelf in Smiths.

It involved from what I  (very vaguely) remember, removing the bonnet tops completely and rebuilding it with an etch and filler.

I used to do a lot of 'plastic surgery' on British outline diesels years past but even this looked like a right PITA and a lot  of work!

The finished model looked real nice but to me, I've got more interesting things to do with my time, probably the reason I didn't buy the mag in question for the Deltic mod when I saw it.

I too would buy a few of them if it looked right, but for me, I just cant take it seriously. Such a shame for what is such an icon of British engineering at its best.

'Rail Express' - Modeller Yearbook (Pages 50-63)

• RMweb Premium

My DP1 arrived an hour ago. It looks good and runs well on my test track. Now its on the rolling road being run in.

I do like the packaging which does make you feel that you are helping the NRM by purchasing their models.

Well done to everyone involved in producing this which arrived much sooner than I expected.

• Like 1

I recall in one of the modelling magazines recently, a reader asked the question to the Bachmann head honchos regarding a retool of the Deltic to which the reply came that, 'no they weren't considering it as there was nothing wrong with the shape/dimensions'.

I actually stumbled across the article today. Word for word it reads thus;

Q: Would you consider retooling the Class 55 in 'OO' gauge with the correct nose profile and better detail? (Scott Hulme)

A: GH: ''No - there's nothing wrong with it. We can show you the original drawings and we scanned it as well.''

DL: ''In one of the Collectors Club magazines many years ago when the furore over this started we had a drawing, a scanned drawing file and a photograph together with one of the models. We overlaid all of them and there was nothing in it. So this thing about it being totally wrong is incorrect.''

My opinion is that Bachmann produce some splendid product but i know that there are an awful lot of modellers who would disagree with their analysis of the dimensional merits of their class 55.

Can anyone provide scrutinizing photos of their pristine KOYLI's? Just unpacked mine and it's a dog that shouldn't have got through quality control. I've emailed locomotion for a replacment, but i'd like to know if anyone else has these same issues;

Paint chips on the nose

Flaking paint on the nose

Green bottom edges to the nose

Green patches on the nose

Black overspray from the buffers onto the nose

Yellow overspray from the nose onto the body

Black overspray on the inset body panels onto the body

Speckled finish to the blue paint on the body

Doesn't say much about Bachmann's QC now, does it.... 

Poor mans weathering ?? :superman:

Mine arrived yesterday, Pristine KOYLI. Have to say i`m also deciding whether or not to return mine, first thing i noticed was part of the nose top grab handle broken and wedged inside the sleeve so clearly not damaged in transit. The nose bracket nowhere even in the box and i was a little bit disappointed with the state of the box, scruffy with loose edges. Looked more like something you would get off ebay, not a £125 model. Poor QC indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Another pristine DP1 delivered here.  All ok, and currently undergoing mileage accumulation runs on ecs duties.  I hadn't looked forwards to a parcel as much as this for some time. 

Needless to say UPS turned up in the very 30 mins we were both out, but he put it under the mat :) 

• Like 1

Had a chance to play with my pristine DP1 yesterday. Fitted a Sapphire decoder to her. First thing I noticed was the sheer weight, certainly one of the heaviest in my fleet. Second thing was how much time it took to defrock her to install the chip. One screw was consumed by the carpet monster, but there's still another 7 to hold her together!

• Like 1