New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

• RMweb Gold

I have followed the ACE development with interest and like the thought of the unit for controlling my trains so I am at the point of considering purchase of one.

However I suddenly realised today that there may be a potential problem for my layout. I currently use a NCE Power cab which I have generally been very pleased with. I had always found control of point motors using the "accessory" button to be a bit of a pain. I use 2 xNCE Switch 8s to control the Tortoise motored turnouts. A while ago I connected a DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha Central to the PowerCab and that gives a brilliant solution with a clear display of all the points status, simple single button press and so simple to connect with a single plug in and no other alterations to the wiring. I would hate to lose that device.

So the question is basically can I still use the Alpha Central and Switch 8s in some way with the ACE2?

I have followed the ACE development with interest and like the thought of the unit for controlling my trains so I am at the point of considering purchase of one.

However I suddenly realised today that there may be a potential problem for my layout. I currently use a NCE Power cab which I have generally been very pleased with. I had always found control of point motors using the "accessory" button to be a bit of a pain. I use 2 xNCE Switch 8s to control the Tortoise motored turnouts. A while ago I connected a DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha Central to the PowerCab and that gives a brilliant solution with a clear display of all the points status, simple single button press and so simple to connect with a single plug in and no other alterations to the wiring. I would hate to lose that device.

So the question is basically can I still use the Alpha Central and Switch 8s in some way with the ACE2?

I think you will  have to contact Tony at Signatrak for an answer to that one! He often responds on here, but in case not, go to www.signatrak.co.uk , and use the "contact us" link.

• RMweb Gold

I think you will  have to contact Tony at Signatrak for an answer to that one! He often responds on here, but in case not, go to www.signatrak.co.uk , and use the "contact us" link.

Thanks MIke.

I will do that.

• RMweb Gold

The cheapest and easiest way to use the Alpha Central unit is to add the DCC concepts sniffer adapter.

You wouldn't be able to control the points from the ACE as you are creating a completely independent accessory bus.

The Alpha Central plugs into the Sniffer adapter. A small power supply is also plugged into the sniffer adapter 15-21v DC at 1amp. This powers the sniffer and all accessories on the accessory bus.

Then two wires come out of the sniffer and these two wires are your new accessory bus, your NCE switch 8's are connected to this bus and not the track output of the ACE.

Your points are then all controlled by the Alpha Central panel.

If you still want to control everything by both the ACE controller and the Alpha central you will then need to buy the Alpha box which the track feeds from the ACE will go into.

It also has the port which the Alpha Central plugs into.

To power the Alpha box you will need either the Alpha Power supply or any regulated 15-21v DC 5amp power supply.

A link to the Alpha range of items required.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/cobalt-alpha-range-booklet/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The cheapest and easiest way to use the Alpha Central unit is to add the DCC concepts sniffer adapter.

You wouldn't be able to control the points from the ACE as you are creating a completely independent accessory bus.

The Alpha Central plugs into the Sniffer adapter. A small power supply is also plugged into the sniffer adapter 15-21v DC at 1amp. This powers the sniffer and all accessories on the accessory bus.

Then two wires come out of the sniffer and these two wires are your new accessory bus, your NCE switch 8's are connected to this bus and not the track output of the ACE.

Your points are then all controlled by the Alpha Central panel.

If you still want to control everything by both the ACE controller and the Alpha central you will then need to buy the Alpha box which the track feeds from the ACE will go into.

It also has the port which the Alpha Central plugs into.

To power the Alpha box you will need either the Alpha Power supply or any regulated 15-21v DC 5amp power supply.

A link to the Alpha range of items required.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/cobalt-alpha-range-booklet/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

Thanks very much for that pointer Ian. It certainly looks like a straightforward solution.

I do find point control from the train controller (of any brand) to be somewhat of a bind when you have to enter the address first before selecting the action. As the Alpha Central gave me such a great and simple solution to point control with my Powercab I had not really looked any further. It was only when I started to consider the Ace as a train controller that I suddenly realised the implications for the Alpha Central module. 

I think I will order the adaptor sniffer and give it a try. If all works well, as I am sure it will, then I will go ahead and order the Ace.

Thanks very much again for the advice.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

I agree typing in accessory addresses can cause confusion.

So if your not bothered about controlling accessories from the DCC controller then creating a completely independent accessory bus is the easiest and quickest way to go.

And to be honest it’s no bad thing as you can still control the accessories even if the controller has a short circuit as it’s completely independent.

Cheers

Ian

The thing i liked about the PowerCab is the ability to program in complete routes using the Macro Function. So pressing 'Macro' 'Number' would set a complete route of upto 8 turnouts. When the ACE was first announced it had a 'Routes' menu item although it was greyed out. When i enquired about it Frazer said it was work in progress. I note now that the Routes menu has disappeared from production models and have been told it is still on the 'to do' list.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

I agree typing in accessory addresses can cause confusion.

So if your not bothered about controlling accessories from the DCC controller then creating a completely independent accessory bus is the easiest and quickest way to go.

And to be honest it’s no bad thing as you can still control the accessories even if the controller has a short circuit as it’s completely independent.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

Not so much confusion as that I consider selecting the address before the action a bit of faffing about really compared to simple button pushing. (I'm getting lazy in my old age!)

You are absolutely right about creating a separate bus for accessories and it is something I had previously considered in idle moments but, once I installed the Alpha Central, I forgot about as everything worked well for me. It is only since I considered the attraction of the Ace that it resurfaced.

I will collect my adaptor sniffer tomorrow from Digitrains so installation will be the job over the next few days.

Thank you again for your comments and help.

Don

• RMweb Gold

The thing i liked about the PowerCab is the ability to program in complete routes using the Macro Function. So pressing 'Macro' 'Number' would set a complete route of upto 8 turnouts. When the ACE was first announced it had a 'Routes' menu item although it was greyed out. When i enquired about it Frazer said it was work in progress. I note now that the Routes menu has disappeared from production models and have been told it is still on the 'to do' list.

I happily accept that the macro facility is very useful but it is not one I can really make use of on my particular layout as I don't have any pre-selectable routes. 

I will retain my Powercab as I believe that it is an excellent controller and, who knows, another layout may require that facility. By then, of course, the Ace may have that facility.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

Remember the power supply for the sniffer adapter!
I couldn’t find any details of the connector size.
Most places would do a small cheap 1amp power supply probably even one of those multi voltage ones with the different size adapters to power it up would work.

I’m sure Argos or Maplin would have something if you’re going into Lincoln to Digitrains, if you ask Jeremy he may even have something that would work.

I don’t live too far away from Lincoln so Digitrains is my local shop!

Just had a thought you might be able to connect the sniffer up in the shop if Jeremy has time as they now stock and sell the ACE controller.
Theyhave the ACE controller on the Demo layout, I was having a play the other week.
That didn’t have the latest version of software in it though, I think it’s one of the prototype units.
Should prove everything at least.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don,

Remember the power supply for the sniffer adapter!

I couldn’t find any details of the connector size.

Most places would do a small cheap 1amp power supply probably even one of those multi voltage ones with the different size adapters to power it up would work.

I’m sure Argos or Maplin would have something if you’re going into Lincoln to Digitrains, if you ask Jeremy he may even have something that would work.

I don’t live too far away from Lincoln so Digitrains is my local shop!

Just had a thought you might be able to connect the sniffer up in the shop if Jeremy has time as they now stock and sell the ACE controller.

Theyhave the ACE controller on the Demo layout, I was having a play the other week.

That didn’t have the latest version of software in it though, I think it’s one of the prototype units.

Should prove everything at least.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks, I will probably do that. 

I already have a suitable PSU or, at least, think I do. I have a spare NCE PSU which can be used while I am setting things up and working things out. Hopefully should work OK. Must remember to check polarity of connector though!

I did not realise that they have an Ace in there so will look at that while I am there. Just off now.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Thanks, I will probably do that. 

I already have a suitable PSU or, at least, think I do. I have a spare NCE PSU which can be used while I am setting things up and working things out. Hopefully should work OK. Must remember to check polarity of connector though!

I did not realise that they have an Ace in there so will look at that while I am there. Just off now.

Don

All connected up now and works just fine. Only wiring was to connect new feeds to my two switch 8s, one of which was in a very awkward place (what fool placed it there when initiallly building the layout I wonder?).

Now to save some pennies to buy the Ace 2. 

Thanks again Ian (traction) for your suggestions and advice.

• 1 month later...

I have a question for someone who has the ACE or ACE-2 and uses one of the DRIVER units.  I note that the manual states "Control of speed, direction, DCC functions F0 to F4 and emergency stop is provided. Functions F5 to F28 can be controlled via the ACE’s panel".  Does this mean that it is possible to have the ACE displaying the full function set up (F0 to F28) whilst driving the same locomotive using the DRIVER?  From reading the manual, it sounds as though this is the case, although I had assumed that when assigning a locomotive to the DRIVER it would no longer be able to be controlled by the ACE.

One of the things that attracts me to the ACE-2 is the ease with which functions F0 to F28 can be accessed from one screen and the functions can be named.  That is much more intuitive than having to remember which function key I would require and then pressing however many button presses are required to get to F24 or whatever.

Edited by Dungrange

• RMweb Premium

You have to allocate the loco to a handset, which transfers basic control to that handset.  If you want to control that loco or its extended functions from the base station, you just reallocate control to the base station with a couple of taps of the stylus, which allows you to use all the functions.  I don't think you can, for example, be controlling the speed with the handset dial, and be switching on and off the higher-numbered functions from the base station at the same time.  Switching between the two is simple enough though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One more question for existing owners.  Reading the help sheet for an ESU Loksound V4 decoder, I noticed a statement that said "Some DCC controllers may not be able to set CVs above 255".  Does the ACE have this limitation, or can it address higher numbered CVs?

....I noticed a statement that said "Some DCC controllers may not be able to set CVs above 255".  Does the ACE have this limitation, or can it address higher numbered CVs?

The web brochure says....

Access to all possible 1024 CVs with automatic selection of mode(3), as appropriate for the decoder.

See here....   http://rs.209492.mrsite.com/ACE_DCS2044_Brochure_V2_2.pdf

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Just bought one of these at Glasgow show. It's a nice bit of kit and fairly well thought out and intuitive to use. One thing I am hoping to appear is an Xpress net adaptor so I can plug in an existing handset such as a multimaus or lenz handset.

It's only attached to my rollers at the mo but it'll let me program and tweak my locos.

• Like 1

Took delivery of an ACE2 unit and two hand controllers two weeks ago to replace an ageing ZTC511. Absolutely delighted with my purchase and very impressed by it's capabilities. The ability to describe the locos, set function lists and general use ability are excellent. Was initially concerned that moving over to a touch screen from levers and buttons might be a bit of a culture shock but the interface has been well designed and is very intuitive and the whole operation is very professional. The ability to access all the features of my sound equipped locos has proved to be a bit of an eye opener. Delighted with the system and with a price point that didn't break the bank it wins every way from my perspective.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi. Im considering buying one of these and the driver handset to replace a Roco Z21 which I got with a layout I purchased. Im starting to collect more diesels with DCC sound so my main concern is using the sound functions on the screen

Can anyone who has replaced a Z21 or uses the controller with DCC sound diesels recommend it please or anyone else give their thoughts on it?

Edited by Pre Grouping fan

Hi. Im considering buying one of these and the driver handset to replace a Roco Z21 which I got with a layout I purchased. Im starting to collect more diesels with DCC sound so my main concern is using the sound functions on the screen

Can anyone who has replaced a Z21 or uses the controller with DCC sound diesels recommend it please or anyone else give their thoughts on it?

Never owned a Z21, but I can assure you that the ACE main unit makes using sound functions so much easier on its large screen, than anything else on the market, up to the ESU, which is just as good, but costs 250% more. 

However, the ACE hand units do not (I only use mine for shunting the fiddle yard) as they are designed to be cheap and cheerful. Plus many of the new generation sound chips do not require the manual application of as many of the function keys as the older ones. But I would still recommend the ACE over anything else in that price range.

I sold my first ACE when I sold my O Gauge, and then regretted it. Now back into O Gauge I've bought another, and think it's a really good bit of kit, especially for a small shunting Layout and Chips that require hi Functions to be used constantly, it's make operation so easy.

Thanks for the two responses. Certainly made me consider the ACE my other option is a gaugemaster prodigy atm I think. The ESU is way out of my budget.

I realise the hand units are only a controller and limited functions which I think I can deal with.

Try a Roco Multimaus, pick them up from German Ebay Shops at good prices including the postage.   Charlie

Seems a backwards step to me, if you want a controller with a control knob you can add a Multimass Wifi handset to the Z21 for about £85 and retain all the advantages of the Z21. (assuming you have a phone or tablet with the Z21 app)

Edited by tender