Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Wow Dave, those photos very good indeed, with the train fortunately only partially obscuring the track work! 

Having studied these photos at length, there does not seem to be one single ballast granule out of place, which is a truly remarkable feat of skilI - and most probably endurance too.

Colin

post-10324-0-55783800-1506860252_thumb.jpgpost-10324-0-55783800-1506860252_thumb.jpg

On 28/09/2017 at 23:51, Colin parks said:

Wow Dave, those photos very good indeed, with the train fortunately only partially obscuring the track work! 

Having studied these photos at length, there does not seem to be one single ballast granule out of place, which is a truly remarkable feat of skilI - and most probably endurance too.

Colin

Thanks for your comments Colin. The ballast is laid very carefully, as said earlier I use an old coffee jar lid which has a 3-4mm hole in the edge so the ballast pour is very controllable by tapping the lid with the index finger, if the layer is too thin then just a pinch of ballast is needed I don't pile on the ballast then have to brush it all forward.

Then I use a 6mm flat brush to tamp the stuff down and under the rails before adding the glue mix with a dropper held just above the ballast surface. Not much skill just patience yes it takes time but I like the result.

post-10324-0-55783800-1506860252_thumb.jpg

DJH Black 5 on the evening fitted goods.

Once the ballasting is complete the grassing with teddy bear fur will start.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 7

You have a fantastic wife Dave, kitchen still not finished and you're buggering about with the train set!

Mike.

Its Fiona who wants to do the teddy bear fur Mike.

And today I was varnishing the new kitchen door whilst watching F1.

Just one more coat and then two dining room doors to match....

So There. :onthequiet:

Dave Franks.

• 2 weeks later...

Its Fiona who wants to do the teddy bear fur Mike.

And today I was varnishing the new kitchen door whilst watching F1.

Just one more coat and then two dining room doors to match....

So There. :onthequiet:

Dave Franks.

The track work really is fantastic. I wonder would you mind posting a picture of the coffee jar lid? I’m trying to visualize it and how it works.

Alan

Hi Alan, was ballasting this afternoon and had to come back home for a problem with Ma in law.

The coffee jar lid is actually an old printer ribbon tub lid but we'll call it a coffee jar lid anyway.

It has a 4mm hole in the edge at the bottom of the black mark and one can control the 'flow' of ballast or in this case sand very easily by tapping the lid with the index finger and keeping the lid low down one can actually fill the space between the sleepers and not everywhere else....

The glueing is a 2:1 mix of water to B&Q 'Diall' decorators PVA which doesn't seem to set as rock hard as wood glue but holds everything firmly, a few drops cheap washing up liquid and a few drops of black poster paint is added, a dropper is used to apply the glue as close to the ballast as possible so it doesn't splash up. Work from one corner, drop the glue on and watch it spread and drop more on near the wet edge and it will spread more, keep going till finished.

post-10324-0-80376200-1508349608.jpg

Here's the result, no weathering done yet as ballast still wet.  New Midland 'heavy' bufferstop fitted on Wharfeside.

post-10324-0-84763400-1508349622.jpg

Hope that helps.

Dave Franks.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim, the ballast was obtained by the bucket full from a local quarry which happened to have a similar colour to 'Skipton Rock' used around the west Yorkshire and Cumberland area, it was sieved out to a size I was happy with so no bashing with a big hammer....

Dave Franks.

Dave,

Studying the ballasting pictures there is a fantastic variation of both colour and texture. Is this all achieved by using different mixes of the ballast, or is it part of the weathering process?

Tim

Hi Tim, the ballast is as it came, no weathering has been done yet but I did add some Javis granite ballast to the mix at about 1:5 so that would be the lighter stuff you can see.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Only now had the chance to update the Wharfeside thread. Ballasting continues with the yard being done in stages.

post-10324-0-79672100-1511021280.jpg

The triangle in the middle is to be a patch of rough grass with maybe an old horse drawn delivery wagon growing weeds and a few rotten sleepers.

Plans are afoot for the goods shed replacement but that is some way off yet.

Today I've been mostly adding lamps to locos.... Hooray I hear some say.

Dave.

• Like 14

Only now had the chance to update the Wharfeside thread. Ballasting continues with the yard being done in stages.

Wharfeside yard exit.jpg

The triangle in the middle is to be a patch of rough grass with maybe an old horse drawn delivery wagon growing weeds and a few rotten sleepers.

Plans are afoot for the goods shed replacement but that is some way off yet.

Today I've been mostly adding lamps to locos.... Hooray I hear some say.

Dave.

Love this picture as it shows the beautiful flow of track Dave. Top shelf.

Broc

Edited by Brocp

Another good session ballasting on Wharfeside last night though not obvious in the picture.

post-10324-0-79522300-1511435227.jpg

Black five storming through Wharfeside on the fitted vans after a shower of rain.

Some of the lads were having a training session and guess what?   A few of the locos even had the correct lamps....

LM Region lamps were black up to about 1960 though some Carlisle and Leeds Holbeck locos had the Scottish or North Eastern LNER design of round lamp in white so some of those will be fitted soon.

Dave.

• Like 9

That is a superb piccie, it shows what beautiful track work you have created, and so very natural and typical of railways of the past. Are they 9 foot sleepers?

Derek

Hi Derek, Thanks for your comments. The sleepers are mainly 8'6'' but there are a few 9' in the yard with 45ft rail and 2 bolt fishplates. Photos of Wharfedale in the fifties show two bolt fishplate rails still in use on the main line! I like to model what I see so I had to do it...

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Some of the lads were having a training session and guess what?   A few of the locos even had the correct lamps....

LM Region lamps were black up to about 1960 though some Carlisle and Leeds Holbeck locos had the Scottish or North Eastern LNER design of round lamp in white so some of those will be fitted soon.

Dave.

Dave,

Are the lamps removable?

Another good session ballasting on Wharfeside last night though not obvious in the picture.

attachicon.gifBlack 5 on Wharfeside.jpg

Black five storming through Wharfeside on the fitted vans after a shower of rain.

Dave.

Dave, would you excuse me whilst I pick my jaw up off the floor after looking at that?

Like Gordon, that scene is alive!

D4

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Are the lamps removable?

Hi Tim, sorry for not replying sooner. The Black 5 lamps aren't removable as certain locos were built for certain trains, i.e. slow revving motors with hi torque for medium speed heavy freight or my Britannia or Royal Scot for the Thames Clyde Express. Line speed was 60mph so no need for high stepping locos. Other locos will have removable lamps when I get around to it, particularly the 4Fs which were used on anything from pick-up goods, local passenger to piloting the expresses.

All the best,

Dave Franks.