Norwood Road

St. Simon

Oh dear!

Firstly, that venue really does not sound fit for purpose. No doubt it will be when finished, but I don't think it should have been considered in its current state. I have to ask... did anyone set up on Friday night to find a deposit on their layout Saturday morning? I know it wasn't built with model railways in mind, but some such spaces can usually work well. This one obviously didn't.

Secondly... I'm afraid the 2nd radius curves leading into the fiddle yard were me trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. I actually knew I didn't have the available space to complete the layout to the size it deserved and that was certainly a compromise... my apologies. I wholeheartedly suggest that relaying the curves and increasing the well is the way forwards. It's not actually an operating well at the moment, is it? More of a letterbox slot.

Do be careful using curved points leading into the fiddle. That was my intention, but I'd read too much scaremongering about their supposed unreliability and potential for derailment.

I hope you resolve the issue with the Minxes. I was led to believe they were clever enough to boil an egg for you. I'm sure there must be a way to get them to fire in pairs but as you know... electrics are my nemesis!

If anyone can iron out the kinks, Simon, it's you.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3

Oh dear!

Firstly, that venue really does not sound fit for purpose. No doubt it will be when finished, but I don't think it should have been considered in its current state. I have to ask... did anyone set up on Friday night to find a deposit on their layout Saturday morning? I know it wasn't built with model railways in mind, but some such spaces can usually work well. This one obviously didn't.

Secondly... I'm afraid the 2nd radius curves leading into the fiddle yard were me trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. I actually knew I didn't have the available space to complete the layout to the size it deserved and that was certainly a compromise... my apologies. I wholeheartedly suggest that relaying the curves and increasing the well is the way forwards. It's not actually an operating well at the moment, is it? More of a letterbox slot.

Do be careful using curved points leading into the fiddle. That was my intention, but I'd read too much scaremongering about their supposed unreliability and potential for derailment.

I hope you resolve the issue with the Minxes. I was led to believe they were clever enough to boil an egg for you. I'm sure there must be a way to get them to fire in pairs but as you know... electrics are my nemesis!

If anyone can iron out the kinks, Simon, it's you.

Hi Pete,

Nobody was set up on the Friday night, but we left the layouts there on the Saturday night and thankfully we didn't have any droppings on the layouts the next morning, we had all covered them with some dust sheets etc., but that doesn't really diminish the fact that the venue was not suitable in anyway shape or form!

We totally understand why you laid the fiddle yard the way you did, I think we all would of done the same! I have used curved points before, with success, and seen as it's in the fiddle yard, the reliability is less of an issue.

Blimey, thank you for believing that I can sort it all out, I tend to add problems rather than remove them!

Simon

Simon,

Very commendable to not turn around and go back home on either day.

With regards curved points I have some on my layout code 100 and they give no problem, I spent a time with all my track laying to ensure transitions into curves and points were the best I could acheive

• Like 1

Fantastic layout Simon, in awe of your track detail, incredible!

Hi James,

Thank you, for the kind words, it's nowhere near you're modelling standards on Loftus Road! All the track details, are available here:

Signalling Accessories - http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels?section=Signalling+Accessories&s=0

Lineside Details - http://www.shapeways.com/shops/sjpmodels?section=Lineside+Details&s=0

I've still got to add some details, I've got a pair of Impedance Bonds on the Turnback, a few TPWS TSS loops to add to a couple signals and the all the cables etc!

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Some work on improving Norwood Road ready for Peterborough in October has been done in the past couple of weeks. 

Work has so far mostly centred on the Fiddle Yard boards, as the Scenic boards are still boxed up at the end of my bed! After Chinnor, I mentioned that we would be extending the width of the layout slightly as well as relaying the fiddle yard to remove some of the tight curves. We started on it last weekend, but not before being distracted by this:

post-7271-0-49582100-1468528877_thumb.jpg

(One of the 3 US Marine Corps F-35B Lighting 2's that were debuted at RIAT last Friday)

What we wanted to do was to change the straight roads as little as possible so we didn't have to redo the baseboard joints and go and buy lots of new flexitrack, we found the best way of doing this and get nice smooth curves was to extend the board by 6 inches or so and start the point work much near the board join using curved points.

Our plan for extending the board was to simply unscrew the 'interface' end board from the L, add a section into the middle and be done with it, but this was brought to a halt as we discovered the end board was very firmly glued in as well, I must hand it to Pete for creating such well built and engineering baseboards, his carpentry is very good! 

We went back to the drawing board and tried to make a new track layout using a non-extended board, it simply didn't work,so we took a leap of faith and just sawed the end off! We didn't want to make a totally new end as it contained all the bolt holes and alignment dowels, plus getting the scenic boards to redo the track joints wasn't an option. So, all we've done is to slide the end along and put a new top in it, obviously with some timber.

Next job was to lay the track, we had agreed that we could loose some siding length to get the smoother curves, after all the longest passenger train will probably be a 6 car train, but we agreed to have one long road in each direction for a long freight. In the the end we have achieved this, we have reduced the number of loops to 6 (3 in each direction) with no storage sidings, which I'm not bothered about too much. The shortest road is still capable of holding a 4 car EMU whilst we have lengthed the very outer loop so it will be capable of holding my 2+5 challenger HST set or a nice long steam charter.:

post-7271-0-88023000-1468530263.jpg

This shows the town end fiddle yard which has had the work done, this weekend we'll extend the other end and hopefully lay the track for that.

The the other thing I have been doing is slowly getting the full signalling done for layout, I have been getting the indications working on the  panel and been building my alarm panel.

More updates as they come and feel free to ask questions!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 6

Hi,

Whilst work to relay the fiddle yard is not far off complete, the second board has been extended and the outer loop has been fully re-laid, we've just got to lay the inner sidings at the country end, but that's on hold as my P-Way man (Dad) is going to be away and I can't over from Reading to Wycombe to finish it! Also, 3 of the train detection boards have been ordered from MERG to start the signalling installation.

In the most major thing is that I've had another exhibition confirmed, so you can now see Norwood Road at the following shows (new in red):

Simon

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Right a fairly long time since an update!

First of all a bit of a personal update, I've had to move house (well, rooms) quite unexpectedly (although I must stress it was my own decision) from fairly central Reading to Tilehurst, this has also meant a slight downsize, this will result in a rather substantial decrease in modelling. Unfortunatly this has come right at the wrong time with me very busy at work and Peterborough quickly approaching and other exhibitions to do.

However, do not fear, Dad has come to the rescue and the layout now resides in his garage. Also, almost a full weeks leave last week meant that a fair bit has been done on the layout.

The main thing to do was actually an almost complete re-wire, this was not because the layout didn't work, it does, it was too do three things

1) Install 'Track Circuits'

2) Tidy up the wiring

3) Replace Point Motor

Although I could of installed the 'track circuits' by splicing them into the existing DCC feeds, I thought I may as well as start over to tidy up the wiring, but of course this demand for tidiness has.....made the whole thing messier! Here are the 'Track Circuits' installed under the layout:

post-7271-0-17332500-1472677368.jpg

Three of them are MERG pocket money kits Train Detection Boards, whilst the rest are made up from components based on the MERG kits, I have specified 10 (they were very kindly built by an electronics wizard for me), however, I have only fully connected 8 of them. As of last week, we have only got the 4 track circuits on the country board fully working, as we've hit a snag over the point and frog feeds, and these are unlikely to be fully resolved prior to Peterborough. But don't worry, the layout is still fully wired and I have had trains running, albeit up to the backscene to stop them plummeting to the ground onto a very solid tiled floor!

The most major advancement is that a signalling of sorts has been created and implemented, I figured that the time left to Peterborough, combined with the scenic work still to do and my changing circumstances meant that the full signalling and NX Panel won't be ready, so I decided to create this:

post-7271-0-69504200-1472677786.jpg

Yes, its a bit of a step down from the full NX Panel, but it will provide a Temporary Interlocking for the Peterborough. The Arduino Microprocessor has had 285 lines of Interlocking 'Data' (Code) written on to it to provide an interlocking that will provide the viewing public a close representation of real life principles. It doesn't include all the track circuits necessary for the full interlocking due to the reasons outlined above, nor will it provide an aspect sequence between the two down direction signals, but I'm happy that we can operate it to provide prototypical operation, it does include permissive working into the turn back decided by the Interlocking and not the operator! The panel itself will not be wasted, as it will be eventually pressed into use as a panel for the Fiddle Yard to control point motors, hence the printed labels and not being painted.

If you are interested, the name 'Enhanced I.F.S. Panel' was coined by myself and is one of only two I know of, the other being the new Temporary Medstead Panel on the Mid Hants Railway for which I created the latest Scheme Plan and term for!

The other major thing that has been done is part replaced the point motors, we decided to replace the Minx Microdrives after they failed to work satisfactorily at Chinnor and the fact that the cables were being ripped out of the control units and half the microswitches don't work. We are going to replace them with Tortoise Motors as these are the most reliable motors I have used (including Cobalt Motors), these have been ordered, whilst the Minx drives have been removed along with the wooden blocks that they were mounted on. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get them off cleanly, but after conversing with Pete, we gave it a bash, literally, and they came off cleanly thankfully. 

The other things we have done is get some of the last scenic work done, so far this has included Static Grass on the Embankment behind the Tram Stop:

post-7271-0-90227000-1472678636.jpg

Speed Signage:

post-7271-0-19206000-1472678658.jpg

TPWS Loops (the Turnbacks Buffer OSS Loops are shown hear) and representations on the Tail Cables, some stop boards and some sort of equipment boxes on poles on the turnback, which I assume are TRTS buttons:

post-7271-0-30546600-1472678744.jpg

I have also moved the Up Main signal NR004 towards the Tram Stop, this was to ensure the replacement 'Joint' was in the correct place without requiring to insert a new track feed, I still have to cover up the pervious hole and move the Impedance Bonds:

post-7271-0-86700600-1472678835.jpg

Of course, no Third Rail layout would be complete with some 'Flashing'  :O , of course I mean electrical arcing, so I have installed an Express Models system at the toes of 202A points on the Down Main, I have installed another lamp on the exit from the turn back, but I have broken the reed switch, so I need to get another:

post-7271-0-40889600-1472678851.jpg

Sadly, during the moves in and out of the Dads Dinning room where the layout was set up (I had to take it down for some guest to have dinner), some slight damage was done, so I have some Overhead line to mend, as well as the odd person. The most major damage was done prior to the Chinnor show (although I didn't know it), when I, very quickly, created the green low relief wharehouse using plywood and plasticard, I obviously didn't let all the fumes go, thus the plastic ballooned over the coming months, making it look a mess, but now, Dad has recreated it and done a much better job:

post-7271-0-23943100-1472679211.jpg

Finally the Central Road Bridge decks are coming along nicely, a few more days work and they'll be done:

post-7271-0-72481700-1472679253.jpg

There is still a fair bit to do though:

1. Finish off the Fiddle Yard modifications (Just a few droppers and a slight leg mod)
  2. Build a Lighting Rig
  3. Install Tortoise Point Motors (Probably by the end of the week)
  4. House and Gardens to finish
  5. Complete and mount Bridge Decks
  6. Minor Scenic details

I've also got to carry on with the Sound fitting program, I have since installed sound onto my Dapol 73, and I hope to have at least one more with sound, and I will also fit my HST power cars with plain DCC for to get them to run, I would like to run my Voyager, but I haven't got the time to complete convert it.

That's all for now, I will keep you updated with any more work in the next couple of weeks, but remember, Norwood Road will be appearing at the National Festival of Railway Modelling at Peterborough on 15th & 16th October , we will be next to New Bryford, and by then I will be a year older (my Birthday is on the 3rd October), had my HNC Graduation Ceremony and with any luck be a licensed Signalling Design Assistant!

As always, any questions, please ask!

Simon

As always,

• Like 17

Hi.

The ballasting was done by Pete75C before I brought the layout, the details are on his original thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97845-west-croydon-80s90s-network-southeast/page-8

Simon

Huge thanks for the link Simon. I can't wait to see your brilliant work progress.

Huge thanks for the link Simon. I can't wait to see your brilliant work progress.

I'm sure you don't want to read through all my waffle.

:jester:

The ballast is Woodland Scenics fine blend grey, sold in bags or big shaker bottles. The only one that doesn't seem to take on a green hue when PVA'ed.

Pete.

I'm sure you don't want to read through all my waffle.

:jester:

The ballast is Woodland Scenics fine blend grey, sold in bags or big shaker bottles. The only one that doesn't seem to take on a green hue when PVA'ed.

Pete.

Cheers Pete!! I too am using C&L Finescale track so should be fun, I think I'll try out the PVA between each sleeper method

Cheers Pete!! I too am using C&L Finescale track so should be fun, I think I'll try out the PVA between each sleeper method

It's the only way that worked for me. I used one of those Metcalfe fine-tip glue bottles and it proved perfect for the job. The tip is the perfect size and neat PVA flowed freely without clogging. I found I could only do about 8 inches of plain track or one point at a time before going crazy though. Good luck.

post-17811-0-67105500-1472822315.jpg

It's the only way that worked for me. I used one of those Metcalfe fine-tip glue bottles and it proved perfect for the job. The tip is the perfect size and neat PVA flowed freely without clogging. I found I could only do about 8 inches of plain track or one point at a time before going crazy though. Good luck.

attachicon.gifMT907-500x500.JPG

Thank you Pete!! Let's hope I do a good job of it, you can see my progress on my topic

Hi,

One of the problems I am facing for Peterborough is the lack of anything to run on the Tramline. I've discovered that my plan to 3D Print a tram would result in a very large hole in my wallet! Having looked fruitlessly for a suitable ready to run or kit model for either a Modern Tram or any electrification / maintenance wagons to run behind my sentinel has caused me to think that my Tramline will never see use.

So, I thought I'd make a bit of plea to readers of the thread that if you have a Modern 'HO' or 'OO' scale tram (a Croydon tram would be the icing on the cake!) or any of the Kibri Electricification wagons that you would be willing to part with, please contact me on this thread or via PM.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm so glad you took this off of Pete's hands and continued with his good work. There's a good collection of 'proper' modern image layouts starting to appear now (no disrespect to anyone with a roundy roundy and set track due to space constraints) and I love getting ideas from people. 

If I have one criticism (and even though it's a small one - it's a big job!), which I've also suggested to someone else for their layout........it's, please paint the rails a different colour, it'll really make it stand out with the effort you're going to. I've spent a long time trying to make my track look as real as is physically possible with Peco stuff (I wish I'd used Tillig and C&L) to the extent whereby it's actually fooled people in to thinking they're looking at the real thing. I've only been modelling for about a year or so, so I'm probably not the most qualified to be giving out advice or criticism so I hope I've not offended you. 

I love the amount of detail your adding and reading through your thread (and you previous one) is so much fun. It's such a shame I'm helping operate Tidworth at Uckfield on the 15/16th because I'd really like to see your layout.

Keep the updates coming - it's how we all learn.

Cheers

Mike

I'm so glad you took this off of Pete's hands and continued with his good work. There's a good collection of 'proper' modern image layouts starting to appear now (no disrespect to anyone with a roundy roundy and set track due to space constraints) and I love getting ideas from people. 

If I have one criticism (and even though it's a small one - it's a big job!), which I've also suggested to someone else for their layout........it's, please paint the rails a different colour, it'll really make it stand out with the effort you're going to. I've spent a long time trying to make my track look as real as is physically possible with Peco stuff (I wish I'd used Tillig and C&L) to the extent whereby it's actually fooled people in to thinking they're looking at the real thing. I've only been modelling for about a year or so, so I'm probably not the most qualified to be giving out advice or criticism so I hope I've not offended you. 

I love the amount of detail your adding and reading through your thread (and you previous one) is so much fun. It's such a shame I'm helping operate Tidworth at Uckfield on the 15/16th because I'd really like to see your layout.

Keep the updates coming - it's how we all learn.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Not at all, thanks for the compliments, it was Pete that did the wander work with the track, I've just added on the extras!

In terms of track colour, it is a matter of opinion and on what rails you actually look at for a prototype, I personally think the colour Pete has used is not too bad (but I totally understand if people don't like it), its not orange nor is bright steel or brown. Rails, particularly cast crossing vee's, that are straight out of the mills tend to be almost bright orange (if the Sun is shining on them), have a look at a CWR Train in the sun, most rails in use tend to be a mid brown colour with shiny heads, whilst rails in areas that diesel engines stand (and around fish plates) tend to be black and gunged up. The third rail should have a bright nickel sliver head on them, not the black that Pete (and others) have painted or treated it, but the black makes it stand out a bit more so I'm leaving it. Of course for ultra realism you might need white painted rails and tiny bits of tissue paper on the rail foot.

In terms of progress, some has been made, the fiddle yard has been finished (final droppers installed and legs modified), this weekend will see the Lighting rig started (and possibly finished), the point motors installed, and a couple of other things, although I doubt that any photos will be done until a week before Peterborough as this will be finial working weekend and the whole scenic section will be up. I've also got some stuff coming for the Tramway, but more on that when it arrives...

If you can't get to Peterborough, remember, the layout is at Wycrail 2016, although how much running will happen is debatable as there will be three signalling designers operating the layout so we might be arguing about the signalling!!!

Simon

• Like 2

Who? PM if necessary!

Hi,

PM sent, but I'll be one of them as I'll be a Licensed Assistant Signalling Designer by then and with any luck a professionally registered Engineering Technician as well!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. Thought it was time to blow my cover (in case you hadn't guessed). Congratulations in advance, and hope it all comes through as expected.

Paul. BSc, CEng, MIEE, FIRSE.

Or alternatively: SORAT, FPL & Bar.

• Like 1