Hornby OO Duchess/Princess trailing pony

A pic taken unrealistically close to highlight the issue.

Has this truck been modded with a flanged wheel set or not?

When shown to modellers it was 50/50 as regards original or modded which kind of suggests not a lot of difference anyway.

D.

post-2371-0-20249800-1512681240_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm missing something here..why do you need a swinging truck within the fixed outside frames?

If you are not running on trainset curves as you shouldn't be with this loco then a swinging truck with flanged wheels within fixed side frames will not be noticed and if you do have unrealistic curves then the fixed side frames will limit the flanged wheels on the swinging truck.

As you can't see whats going on under there anyway unless your' nose is at rail level and 2 inches away I find this obsession with trying to modify the rear truck as very strange and tbh pointless.

Dave.   

I think you are missing the point here.

This post relates to the first version of the Hornby Duchess which has to make do with a horrible cast lump with a wheel in it masquerading as the rear frames and trailing truck. Subsequently even Hornby accepted the arrangement wasn't up to standard and so modified the chassis to accept a far superior plastic frame along with the fixed and flangeless rear wheel. The plastic frame is (or at least was) available as a spare. Unfortunately it isn't a direct screw in to the original chassis. ScRSG's most useful post shows how the original chassis can be enhanced with the later part. I think it would actually be harder to have a fixed and flangeless rear wheel with this modification than to keep the flange and give it limited movement!  I will certainly be applying this mod to one or more of my Duchesses.

Exactly Mike. I'd have completed mine yesterday had I not had to spend hours sorting out a computer problem!

The irony is that the mod. above gives, I think, precisely the answer that many such as 34B-D are looking for, and Hornby seem to have snatched this answer away with their latest offerings.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Exactly Mike. I'd have completed mine yesterday had I not had to spend hours sorting out a computer problem!

The irony is that the mod. above gives, I think, precisely the answer that many such as 34B-D are looking for, and Hornby seem to have snatched this answer away with their latest offerings.

John.

Pleased you guys are finding this mod. useful, but please remember that it will not work on set track curves. (minimum radius 2ft.) So I can see why Hornby go for the flangeless fixed wheel. I do not think there is a way using my mod. that you could have a fixed wheel - will someone have a go that needs this due to sharper curves?