New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

A New Stage

The plans for my layout have always included some sort of mountain line leading off from the small station up on level 3 and up an incline to another small station high up on the nearby mountain. I've been pondering for a while about how I would go about this and what type of railway it might be. My thoughts on it have ranged through whether it would be standard or narrow gauge, adhesion or rack, where it would go (fictitiously), whether to depict an actual mountain line or make up my own private line, and so on.

Thinking tbrough all this has taxed my remaining brain cell quite a bit, so to help move things forward I've used a method I'm quite familiar with - just start the damn thing and let the story develop as I go! Time to end all the procrastination and get on with something.

I've therefore made a start on constructing the incline for the new line and sure enough it's helped and I now have it worked out. I'll post up some pictures later but here's the essence of it.

The layout is built on 3 levels which are inter-connected by spiral tunnels. I've decided:

1. To make level 1 and 2 mainly German, with occasional visits by OBB trains, the odd one from CSD and specials e.g. Orient Express passing through.

2. Level 3, which is predominently a single line, I'll run almost entirely with Austrian trains - so representing a railway in Austria.

3. The small station up on level 3 is to feature a platform that will connect passengers to a 'tourist' ie scenic line. This will be the start of the mountain line which will be in metre gauge (HOm) and will run over a fictitious route from Austria to Switzerland, and run (short) Swiss trains.  Hopefully this will bring a cheer from Swiss rail enthusiasts!

4. I'm going to extend the original plan for the mountain line and it will now run over a very large arched girder bridge that will span the gap between two mountains and take the line all the way across the room at high level to the other side. The bridge will be about 145cm high so will be easy to duck under, but I'll also make the centre span removable. The line will terminate in two sidings out of sight inside the mountain. Automation will ensure a different train emerges in rotation.

That's probably enough for one post, more, and pictures to follow.

Cheers ... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 2

Level 4 Started.

This is the site of the level 3 station where the metre gauge mountain line will start. To gain height without going too steep, I'm making the line zig-zag. First a short incline going up to the right. This will terminate in two sidings out of sight behind scenery, so could represent the line going off somewhere else. After a suitable delay, a different train will appear heading right to left and up the mountain.

post-1570-0-43492800-1539287635_thumb.jpg

A start on constructing the track base for the incline:

post-1570-0-53624900-1539287675_thumb.jpg

Looking back from the end of the room, the mountain end:

post-1570-0-95988400-1539287703_thumb.jpg

Here I'm working on the site to position the girder bridge between the two mountains:

post-1570-0-37661800-1539287735_thumb.jpg

More to follow ...

• Like 5

The Bridge.

Meanwhile the new bridge has arrived. This is laser cut MDF is a bespoke order from a chap on eBay. Such a nice day yesterday I was able to hang it up outside for a spray job:

post-1570-0-67191200-1539288830_thumb.jpg

And here it is, one side laid out for measuring up. The main centre span is 1 metre long and each wing span is 50cm. Should look impressive methinks ..

post-1570-0-54139800-1539288953_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Alan, 

Looks good. What gradient are you building to?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks.  The long slope rises 20cm in about 450cm, so a 4.4% incline or 1 in 22.5.  At the bottom the incline is more gradual and eases off near the top, so the steepest part is probably around 5% or 1 in 20. 

The trains I'll be running will be short loco hauled (pushing uphill) and will only consist of a loco plus two coaches maximum, therefore I won't need cog fitted locos.  Having said that I may fit some rack just for aesthetic purposes, but the rack is hard to find and I've only seen it available from Bemo which is expensive.  To save on costs I've bought a bunch of used Peco HOm track and turnouts from eBay so whatever I do about fitting a rack it would have to fit in with that.

I did consider buying some dual gauge HO/HOm track from Tillig which is really nice looking and would have made a nice feature in the level 3 station where the two gauges meet.  But I have Peco code 100 track on the main lines and I didn't think it would be very good joining code 100 HO to code 70 or 75 HO/HOm dual gauge track, and then leading off up the hill with HOm track - too many track types in one small space.  Even if I could get the height difference right I'm not sure it would look too good.  Also, again, cost is a factor.

Cheers … Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Looking very impressive already. As I was reading through, I was thinking "oh no, not the Faller viaduct again" so I'm really pleased to see you've used something completely different. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that there is one particular one that seems to get used everywhere, even in the UK when it's a very specific Swiss bridge! My apologies if you use one elsewhere, of course!

Cheers,

John.

Hi Alan,

Looking very impressive already. As I was reading through, I was thinking "oh no, not the Faller viaduct again" so I'm really pleased to see you've used something completely different. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that there is one particular one that seems to get used everywhere, even in the UK when it's a very specific Swiss bridge! My apologies if you use one elsewhere, of course!

Cheers,

John.

I think there's about 7 or 8 viaducts and as many bridges knocking around the layout somewhere so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Faller one hiding somewhere... lol.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

No worries, Alan!

I was being tongue-in-cheek but referring to the Bieschtal(?) bridge in particular as that bridge seems to have cropped up on several layouts recently.

It's a great model and perfectly fine for Switzerland but to me, looks odd on a UK layout!

Anyway - I love your new bridge, that's a bridge and a half!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

Chips on Sunday

Having decided on HOm for the mountain line it looks like I'll be starting a relationship with Bemo and/or Tillig. But for now, some second hand locos will have to do and here's the first new arrival from eBay.

post-1570-0-91304900-1539523921_thumb.jpg

An exquisite croc from Bemo. It's quite an old model, not DCC ready of course and pre-dates the models they produced with an adaptable circuit board - for those that don't know, they produced models where you could cut out the middle of the circuit board so you could solder up a 6 pin decoder. However this old model has an earlier type without that feature so a hard wire conversion is required. For interest it's serial number 1255 103.

Due to the relatively short main body, I wasn't sure how much space would be available for a decoder. The body is removed by prising it apart from the chassis until it's clear of the retaining lugs and the top frees off, but it was exceptionally tight and looked like it was giong to resisit separation until I broke something. Finally, using all three of my hands, it finally gave up and off popped the body shell.

And yep, sure enough, space was tight. Turns out also this model is powered from wheels one side and through the chassis on the other side - deep joy! Reminds me of a few years back when I chipped some old Bachmann split chassis models. As it happens it wasn't all that difficult to work out, once I'd sorted out the what side of the power came from where I was able to work out what to detach and what points I needed to attach the chip wires to. This is a Lenz Silver chip by the way.

I also spotted there was slightly more space on one side than the other, and so this looked a good spot the chip. Here it is all wired up, well nearly...

post-1570-0-67837500-1539523954_thumb.jpg

On the down side, the front and rear light bulbs are housed in a metal block that is fitted to the chassis (via a screw). This connects one side of the power to the bulb via the chassis. So far I've been unable to find a way to isolate them so I can wire them up to the chip. I'll need to keep thinking about how to sort that or maybe do some research - it would be a shame not to have the lights working. Maybe someone has done it already and might pop up with the answer.

Anyway, a new bit of kit for the layout posed here on my test track, the first in HOm, it runs and looks superb.

post-1570-0-79195500-1539523986_thumb.jpg

Next, I might try something else new to me, and attempt to convert a few old HO coaches to HOm.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5

Very nice, every Swiss narrow gauge needs a croc!

Is it going to remain with RhB branding? Given that your layout is based somewhere fictitious in Austria, and you narrow gauge lines feeds across to Switzerland, if staying with RhB stock you could pretend it's the never built line that was to continue through Scoul-Tarasp on the Engadine line. Even the fact that you head 'up hill' from hour layout would tie in with that.

'Cheap' HOm RhB coaches do appear on eBay occasionally, having had a Swiss HOm coach sat next to a standard gauge HO coach in the past there is some very large dimensional differences and it could look a bit odd repurposing standard gauge stock. Link to an image of a standard gauge wagon on the RhB: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RhB-Güterzug_mit_Rollwagen.jpgshows how much bigger standard gauge can appear.

Very nice, every Swiss narrow gauge needs a croc!

Is it going to remain with RhB branding? Given that your layout is based somewhere fictitious in Austria, and you narrow gauge lines feeds across to Switzerland, if staying with RhB stock you could pretend it's the never built line that was to continue through Scoul-Tarasp on the Engadine line. Even the fact that you head 'up hill' from hour layout would tie in with that.

'Cheap' HOm RhB coaches do appear on eBay occasionally, having had a Swiss HOm coach sat next to a standard gauge HO coach in the past there is some very large dimensional differences and it could look a bit odd repurposing standard gauge stock. Link to an image of a standard gauge wagon on the RhB: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RhB-Güterzug_mit_Rollwagen.jpgshows how much bigger standard gauge can appear.

Hi thanks. You've hit the nail right on the head about a notional link to the Rhb, except you've applied knowledge I'm missing from the little grey cell. What I did was look at maps on the eastern side of Switzerland and imagined a link from somewhere around Klosters on the RhB going across the hills to Austria. That was ok enough for my imaginary place but I'm delighted to know there was a 'never was' line. Kind of lends an almost credible back story to my fictitious layout so I appreciate that, also means I won't necessarily need to design and brand my own private railway.

Regarding coach conversions, I have a pair of Fleischmann 4 wheeled 'Edelweiss' coaches and a pair of similar DR 4 wheeled red coaches. I bought these when I intended to make the mountain line in HO and I was wondering if they might convert. Anyway, I'm sure you're right about the dimensions being out - it might not work, meanwhile I'm continuing to trawl eBay for used items to collect. I already bagged 20 yards of Peco HOm rack and a dozen turnouts, very pleased with that.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2

The Big Bridge - Main Span

Made some progress this week on the construction of the track base for the metre gauge mountain railway leading up the hill to the new arch girder bridge going across to the other mountain. Today I assembled the components of the main span of the bridge and got it into position - looking good I reckon:

post-1570-0-93014400-1539971161_thumb.jpg

High enough to duck under but I'll be making the main span (this bit) removable in case I need to get anything big into or out of the shed.

post-1570-0-88837300-1539971279_thumb.jpg

I have yet to bore out the tunnel in the mountain on the far side where the line will terminate in two sidings within the mountain. It will be a bit awkward building that part and I'm sure I'll need to bend my limbs in angles they're not accustomed to. Haven't really worked inside many mountains before but I'll have to overcome any obstacles. Just a matter of finding existing framework to attach new framework on which to build the track base. There's a helix inside that mountain but there's plenty of space above it for the new track base.

post-1570-0-84391600-1539971383_thumb.jpg

This final shot shows the track base winding up from the high level station over on the left in the distance.

post-1570-0-23168400-1539971466_thumb.jpg

Next I'll be working on the two 'wings of the bridge then getting the HOm track work down and wired up. There'll be a passing place just on the curve near the top so I have to consider space for Tortoise motors to fit underneath. Also I'll be running a spur off the DCC bus up to the bridge.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm waiting to collect together some suitable metre gauge stock for the mountain railway, I've tinkered a bit with my rather nice Roco K Bay S3/6 loco. I wasn't too keen that it was produced in a rather plain finish whereas other models out there look far more attractive with number plates, tender lining and K.Bay.Sts.b. on the tender sides. The number plates and decals I ordered some time ago finally arrived and I was able to get on with some enhancements to this model.

Here's a stock photo as it comes:

post-1570-0-33975200-1541166708.jpg

Here is it on my work bench just waiting for a satin varnish spray to cover up the decals and glossy patch where I've aďded the insignia on the tender. I'm more used to doing such detail on O gauge models, so my decal alignment in this small scale isn't perfect, it was really fiddly and I had to put in the full stops with my 000 paintbrush! But it's on now and that's how it'll have to be.

Work done is:

Brass Number plates 3618 fitted to each side

Tender lined out sides and rear

2mm Tender decals fixed on K.BAY.STS.B.

Tender sides sprayed satin varnish.

Various pipes and parts on the loco painted or picked out in brass or copper.

Real coal added to tender.

post-1570-0-87326800-1541166744_thumb.jpg

Here it is on my layout looking good and ready to do some work:

post-1570-0-49473400-1541167022_thumb.jpg

It might not be prototypical of the restored museum loco, but rule 1 applies ...lol.

That's another little job done and dusted. I enjoy these minor deviations from building the layout, makes it all more interesting.

Meanwhile though, I'm progressing slowly with the metre gauge track work on the mountain railway but it's not that interesting to show here. Working with the smaller gauge track is novel for me, also new is working with electrofrogs, so I'm taking my time to get it right.

I'll post up some photos when I get all the track down.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5

Looks very good Alan, the lining and lettering make alot of difference to the model. I have the Roco K Bay S 3/6 Brown Livery with gold lining etc,and  sound also the Brawa  4-4-4 In Lined Green Livery and Red Wheels.also with sound

Hi, thanks. They are a nice model indeed. This has sound too but it's quite an old model made over 15 years ago I think, so I find the sound chip is a bit basic with only a handful of sounds on and a bit tinny compared to more modern chips.

How do you find your Roco is with regard to pulling power?

Cheers... Alan

Hello Alan,

My layout is only  mini-scale compared to yours, The Roco K Bay pulls 6 small Brawa coaches with ease up a 1/40 incline , It aso pulls 7 Trix Orient Express coaches easiy,they are fairly heavy, these coaches are really exquisit, gold lining,+ lights..

Mine will go one way round my layout and make it up the south spiral to level 2, but it won't climb the West spiral going the other way round. Both spirals are arranged with the outer track being the ascending line but the West spiral is a bit 'tighter'. There's no chance of driving it up to level 3 as those spirals are a bit steeper - only short trains go up there.

I have it pulling 7 old time K.Pev brown and green liveried coaches which are extremely fee running and look great. I guess for a steam loco that's not too bad but the first time I tried it I hadn't noticed the drive shaft between the tender and the cab wasn't connected - doh! Then it wouldn't even pull them on the level.

Cheers ... Alan

Your Trix OE coaches sound exquisite, I really like some of the fabulous coaches of earlier eras.

• Like 2

Well after reading this post for the last 3 days  while fiddling around at  home  , BOY  what a layout to watch the progress of building slowly emerge into a massive production .  Well Done  Alan . Your trips to Europe seem to have been full of problems especially the latest one but it all worked out in the end . Remind me if you ever decide to organise a group tour  & I would have to give serious thought to attending  but without the problems you & your  household accountant have endured  . We have done most of the rack railways in Europe about 15 years ago   & visited most display layouts  including Traumwerk where we spent 2 days . 36 HD laser projectors  are in use  at Hans Peter Porsche  exhibition  & We throughly recomend it to all members of RM WEB . Comparing MiWaLa I feel that this is the better display thou out of the way & hard to find  the road to it . Food is a 4 star menu   there  but no over night parking if in a Rv / Motor home like we were  but we managed to stay at Anger a bit further up the hill  in the town square . I notice that G earth  has now done a update on the local maps so  it will be easier to find .

Well Done & keep the updates  coming please .

Tom J .    in Oz .

Edited by marklin181

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comments and for following my topic here - that's a lot of reading to catch up on!

Got to agree the Hans Peter Porsche Traumwerk is awesome and well worth a visit. The video back scene effects are outstanding. Here's a couple of pictures from our visit there:

Caught the lightning strike perfectly:

post-1570-0-84806700-1541604283_thumb.jpg

This view looking through the glass from the upstairs gallery:

post-1570-0-93652900-1541604256_thumb.jpg

Sunset scene as day turns to night:

post-1570-0-78826800-1541604304_thumb.jpg

Awesome firework display:

post-1570-0-45872100-1541604598_thumb.jpg

Cheers... Alan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another Bemo purchase arrived for the new metre gauge line. Staying with the old fashioned theme for the rolling stock this is an ABe 4/4 motorcoach formerly operated on the Bernina but now re-allocated for nostalgic trips on my mountain line.

post-1570-0-96274500-1542293444.jpg

First though, fitting a DCC chip. Under the bonnet the circuit board is revealed which has a removable centre section, designed so you can fit a 6 pin chip. The tiny piece has to be broken off to allow soldering of the chip wires..

post-1570-0-98604600-1542294020_thumb.jpg

The bit broken out with the help of my scalpel to cut through the board. Very small indeed..

post-1570-0-21674800-1542294091_thumb.jpg

Now the tricky bit - soldering the chip wires onto these tiny pads took a bit of care - all done with my trusty 80w chisel iron!

post-1570-0-43665100-1542294374_thumb.jpg

post-1570-0-02621400-1542294441_thumb.jpg

Luckily I've done quite a lot of soldering so I've become adept at getting into small spaces and soldering small things, and I use my 80w iron with the chisel tip for just about everything - I just apply it very quickly on these tiny jobs! The biggest danger here was the solder running between the tabs and connecting them together.

Anyway, job done and here's the installation looking fairly tidy. There was enough room to include a stay alive unit too. This is a DCC Concepts Zen decoder.

post-1570-0-68809800-1542294961_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd add a few legless people (like me on a Friday night). These are cheapo undersized figures at 1:100 scale I bought in error - it seems a shame to waste them so put to some use here as you can't make out the small size once the coach body is fitted. Also you can't really make out the top-knots sported by the male figures!

post-1570-0-22660500-1542295281_thumb.jpg

All done and ready for loco profiling on the layout - but- I haven't got any HOm track connected up yet! Must get on with that little job....post-1570-0-85156800-1542295519_thumb.jpg

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 5

They are nice units... just ignore that they run on a very different voltage to your Krokodil ;)

Looking forward to seeing something cross that bridge!

Ah ... didn't know that. I guess Rule 1 will have to apply.

I'm looking forward to running something over that bridge too! Must get on with the track work and wiring up that new line.

Out of interest, why are they different voltage if they're both RhB? Just curious ..

Cheers ... Alan

• RMweb Gold

Because the RhB is a collection of lines absorbed over the years. The start was the Landquart Davos, hence the LD on the steam locos originally.

The Bernina and Arosa were built as DC lines while the rest were AC when electrified. The Arosa was converted to AC in 1997 but the Bernina still is DC. The Allegra’s are dual voltage. The outer pantographs for DC and the middle one for AC.

Edited by PaulRhB

Because the RhB is a collection of lines absorbed over the years. The start was the Landquart Davos, hence the LD on the steam locos originally.

The Bernina and Arosa were built as DC lines while the rest were AC when electrified. The Arosa was converted to AC in 1997 but the Bernina still is DC. The Allegra’s are dual voltage. The outer pantographs for DC and the middle one for AC.

Thanks Paul, all very interesting. I'm just doing a bit of research and reading Wiki about how there is a switchable power line in Pontresina station, (I was there in April this year). The topic is quite an interesting read.

Cheers... Alan

• Like 1