Small space switching at Portland

shortliner

Outside USA, TT gauge is 1:100 or 3mm/foot . US TT gauge is a bit of an orphan, there TT scale is 1:120 scale, or ten feet to the inch scale. It uses track with rails gauged at 12mm. Compared to N scale, which is 1:160, TT scale is 33% larger. On the other hand, HO scale, at 1:87.1, is still substantially larger than TT scale. 1:120 scale is still in use today in a number of industrial and hobby applications outside of model railroading.  I believe US TT is used  by some traction modellers

Brilliant! Calls to mind Mike Bryant's Inversneckie and Drambuie layout in OOO back in the early 50s, built in a pair of violin cases, and shows just what can be done in no room at all.

BTW, who makes the typical Canadian spark-arresters in HO? I used to know, but lost the reference...

Outside USA, TT gauge is 1:100 or 3mm/foot . US TT gauge is a bit of an orphan, there TT scale is 1:120 scale, or ten feet to the inch scale. It uses track with rails gauged at 12mm. Compared to N scale, which is 1:160, TT scale is 33% larger. On the other hand, HO scale, at 1:87.1, is still substantially larger than TT scale. 1:120 scale is still in use today in a number of industrial and hobby applications outside of model railroading.  I believe US TT is used  by some traction modellers

There is a small following for US TT, some ready to run cars and the SW1200, There is also an f3 and gp9 which can be motorised loads of information on the TTnut.com  website.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

US TT loco produced by Czech manufacturer MTB. I have a few of their Czech outline models in both TT and HO. Very nice models

My laptop wont let me copy and paste the website link in here so just type in MTB-model.com, click on English version then select catalog TT

Sorry Jack, but Continental TT is most certainly 1:120, major manufacturers like Piko and Tillig say so ;) British TT is indeed 1:100 (3mm to the foot (304.8mm) to cater for the smaller UK outline of models (same with H0 vs 00!)

My apologies - I should have realised that if there was an outline sizing problem with OO/HO there would be between the  two sizes of TT, as there is with N gauge

Clearly you've missed the Craigcorry & Dunalistair Railway then Jack :P Have a browse, the flag man is located in Dunalistair. IIRC Ted has even some film footage of it somewhere.

Here's an image: click

Note: none of this is mine! Made by Ted Polet, webmaster of the 009 Society Dutch group, quite a while ago (>10 years).

Many thanks, DM - I had heard of Ted Polet, but to my shame, had never seen anything of his railway - very nice indeed - thank you for the links

• 2 months later...

Archived