Windsor Road Bridge, Cardiff

John_Miles

I may be the only person who is interested (we'll see if anybody replies to this) but the final removal of Windsor Road bridge, just to the east of Cardiff Central has started. For some months now, there have been additional truss girders on top of the bridge - not sure what they are for. New concrete abutments have appeared although the rate of construction appears to be very slow. As well as abutments over the main line, there are new abutments for the former connection to the Docks and wire mill, despite the fact that the connection has been removed (possibly being kept for a road access?). Now today, I notice they have started removing the deck of the old bridge. I shall be sad to see it go and replaced by an anonymous modern bridge.

• Like 1

The track to the docks might have been lifted, but that does not necessarily mean the railway's right of way has been given up.

Could that be why progress has been slow? The various authorities arguing over the need to build a bridge over a railway line that is never likely to be reinstated?

• 4 weeks later...

John,

The additional trusses are to carry the services (i.e. gas, water etc) which cross the railway via the bridge, whilst the deck is removed and the new bridge built.  Apparently transferring the services to the new trusses has taken some time, and had to be done before anything more visible (like removing the main spans) could be done.  Plus the work is being done over a live railway, which I would imagine slows progress somewhat.

Alastair

It's a shame they never kept a railway down into the docks from that angle. They could have run a light rail ink down it now and looped round to meet the Cardiff Bay Station. Would have been an excellent site on Newport Road for a park and ride to get people into the bay or the city centre on a mass transit system.

Probably never economically viable, but it would have been pretty cool.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Black Bridge went some months ago. They are now in the process of building a deck on top of the steel beams of the new bridge. Progress is very slow, presumably because of the problems of working above a live railway. Interestingly, there is ample provision in terms of bridge span on the old line into the docks. I wonder if this is for road access for the electrification, when it eventually happens.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Black bridge.

Black bridge now open, drove over it today, it's now several shades of blue.

james 

And Beresford Road closes in a couple of days for a similar length of time....deep joy.....

There is also a bridge which has gone at the west end of Newport station and it looks like the bridge on Rover Way is going to get some attention - they seem to be building abutments underneath it. As it is a fairly new structure, they may just jack it up?

The bridge that carries the Queen Street to Central line looks like it might be minimum clearance so I wonder if that also has to be raised?

• 1 month later...

And Beresford Road closes in a couple of days for a similar length of time....deep joy.....

They have brought in a huge crane and the girders are being lifted off and cut up on site - no doubt they will be shipped to China, melted down and sold back to us as cheap steel. I wonder if they will also crane in new girders - possible if it is going to be a steel bridge and the whole thing could then be done relatively quickly; certainly faster than Windsor Road. I preseun Splott Road bridge is next. The southern most span has really nice cast iron parapets. It would be a shame to see them replaced.

They have brought in a huge crane and the girders are being lifted off and cut up on site - no doubt they will be shipped to China, melted down and sold back to us as cheap steel. I wonder if they will also crane in new girders - possible if it is going to be a steel bridge and the whole thing could then be done relatively quickly; certainly faster than Windsor Road. I preseun Splott Road bridge is next. The southern most span has really nice cast iron parapets. It would be a shame to see them replaced.

I was wrong - they are using concrete beams so it looks like it will be a slow job. The new bridge at the western end of Newport station is in in a very attractive, not, weathering steel - it looks like rust be it is intentional.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is work going on around Splott Road bridge but the bridge is still intact. It looks like the chapel on the corner may be going. Maybe they are going to ease the alignment or build a new bridge before they demolish the old one - but this would be a sensible option which would avoid a lot of problems for people in the area so is therefore unlikely.

• RMweb Gold

Mardy Road has been closed for a couple of weeks now, for the same reason, and is causing traffic chaos in SE Cardiff.....Under the impression Splott Road bridge is staying open whilst work is carried out, well for now at least.

• 3 months later...

I went past on Tuesday and they were pouring large amounts of concrete under the southern span of Splott Road bridge, the span with no track beneath it, and there is quite a bit of reinforcement sticking up - probably going to be an abutment.

The old chapel at the north end of Splott Road bridge collapsed this afternoon, three casualties and one of them is still trapped in the rubble (19.00)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40647984

I came past on the XC 15.30 ex-New Street which had made very slow progress on the down relief from Newport. The tracks were clear but the remains looked unstable and there were lots of fire and rescue people hard at work. I think the building was being demolished anyway and it just decided to accelerate the process.

The old chapel at the north end of Splott Road bridge collapsed this afternoon, three casualties and one of them is still trapped in the rubble (19.00)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40647984

John

IIRC that was a Salvation Army chapel but has not been such in 20+ years.

Dave

Edited by Danemouth

Sadly the trapped man died. There is a report that none of the people on site at the time were from the demolition contractor's team. The chapel was being demolished because it was unsafe and in danger of falling onto the railway line, so whoever wrote that report got it right.

• 1 month later...

Splott Road bridge is on its way. There is a big crane at the southern end and they are lifting out the parts that are away from the running lines. Presumably the rest will go over the bank holiday. There are signs that the footbridge a bit further west is due for attention.