Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium

At times I'd written this one off as being unlikely ever to turn up but it is fantastic to see the model making real progress and looking good. Models like this and their Terrier could really open O Gauge up to a whole new audience.

• Like 1

At times I'd written this one off as being unlikely ever to turn up but it is fantastic to see the model making real progress and looking good. Models like this and their Terrier could really open O Gauge up to a whole new audience.

Agreed. I've started out in O gauge as a direct result of Dapol and their models.

• Like 1

I also pre-ordered with them way back when, & prompted to check by your post have indeed had the same email.

However as my local model shop has matched 'discount' O scale prices from both the Liverpool and Blackpool Emporia, I would much rather support my local shop instead.

In a dillema.... :O

Thats good to hear, sadly our localish shops wont price match....

I agree. The more the merrier!

The loco looks very good in-the-white, looks like the bonnet top is now right - although the lighting adds reflections that makes it a little hard to tell, but it looks okay to my eyes. Very nice with first view seeming very favourable, to the point of impressive in fact. Not sure if there are some detail issues with the draw-bar bolts etc....time will tell, would need to see more photos though. Looks like Dapol have designed clever with lots of separate fittings, which will facilitate the variants?

Does anyone know if they will be producing a GFYE (wasps strips) version?

Thanks for Posting the photos all.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

Saw the 08 in-the-white at Reading today on the Lionheart Stand, it looked very nice although I find it hard to fully appreciate models in white plastic, grey or similar seems to fit the bill better-its probably my eyesight-LOL! Im gusssing the proof of the pudding will be with the liveries applied, by and large though, looking like a very impressive model indeed.

I do hope Dapol will adopt the same type of packagin as used by Ixion et al and not the blow/vac moulded packaging used with the Terrier-as that would, I believe, help Dapol, Traders/Retailers and customers alike.

Nevertheless exciting times, cant wait to see what they look like with the liveries applied.

ATVB,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Good to meet you CME, I had a good look over it today, Richard handed it over to me to have a close look & it really looks the part & ran very smoothly. Plenty of weight in it as well.

I've got my pre order in with Buzz models all over green and I will be doing it as one of Old Oaks engines.

Edited by steve fay

Good to meet you CME, I had a good look over it today, Richard handed it over to me to have a close look & it really looks the part & ran very smoothly. Plenty of weight in it as well.

I've got my pre order in with Buzz models all over green and I will be doing it as one of Old Oaks engines.

Hi Steve,

Likewise - tried to Post you a PM via not-so-smartphone - nice to have a chat with you and Chris and put faces and names together.

Good to hear your thoughts on the 08, every time I went to look closer Richard was selling Lionheart stuff to punters and thus I didnt want to interrupt - its nice to chat to traders, but I am mindful that they are there to sell stuff, so if I am not buying on that visit and they have customers I try to move to one side.

I think that the 08 looks good, yet to my eyes I struggle when models are white and I can get a better idea when they have eg a coat of grey on them.

I felt sorry for the fellow selling a nice s/h black 08 for £400.00, true the Dapol version isnt out yet, but everyone will wait now I would have thought. 

I have one on order now too.

Kindest regards,

CME

• Like 1

Hi, regarding wasp chevrons, I've a book by Steve Jordan, in which there's a picture of D3963. To quote the caption underneath referring to the chevrons, "D3963 was in a batch which started at D3937 and was completed at Derby in March 1960. It may well be that this was the first one so treated, however if it wasn't it was very close to this one."

Hope this helps,

Paul.

It looks very nice indeed.

Does anyone have any info as to when the bonnet ladders started to disappear?

When 25kV AC overhead electrification started according to this.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29053

Although it does raise the question of what about the 08 shunters in use on the 750v DC Manchester to Sheffield line in the 50s?

That Dapol white 08 - here's the 'prototype for everything' photo:-

Judging by the finish of various liveries on the 4mm class 73, I think it might be better if they didn't try and paint them and left them like that !

Email from Hattons this morning suggesting September 2016 for the green with no wasp stripes version.

Good grief, thats a long wait - more time to save though!?

Judging by the finish of various liveries on the 4mm class 73, I think it might be better if they didn't try and paint them and left them like that !

I have often suggested such to manufacturers, that or a Tamiya style easy-build kit, even Aster provide some kits locos with ready painted parts.

Looking very good, however personally I'm dissappointed that they have chosen the long hinged version, only around around a quarter of the class and none of these i think were air braked?   and most of these I think disappeared relatively early because of this.

I hope they intend ( does anybody know? ) to produce the short hinged version, if they don't then the proposed 08529 they list willl be totally wrong :(

Looking very good, however personally I'm dissappointed that they have chosen the long hinged version, only around around a quarter of the class and none of these i think were air braked?   and most of these I think disappeared relatively early because of this.

I hope they intend ( does anybody know? ) to produce the short hinged version, if they don't then the proposed 08529 they list willl be totally wrong :(

Can you elaborate please, e.g. number ranges, cos by my estimation a quarter still leaves about 250 to choose from.