Heljan 'O' Gauge 61xx Large Prairie

Guest 47107

Did anybody else notice at Telford yesterday that Heljan have very quietly announced an 'O' gauge 61xx large Prairie ?

I asked Brian Daniels if any new announcements had been made and he showed me a leaflet on the stand with a little picture of the loco tucked in one corner.

• Like 6

YUP ! :sungum: Arrival late 2016 according to Heljan's leaflet at the show.

'GWR and BR versions in Black and Green with early and late BR crests which will be pre-numbered.'

attachicon.gifHeljan 2015-2016 v2.jpg

attachicon.gifHeljan p2 2015-2016.jpg

Nice to finally see the CAD images of the Class 25 - I'm no Class 25 expert but it looks pretty good.

• Like 1

I welcome the news that Heljan are to introduce a steam loco but oh no not another GWR Prairie! There are many locos that could have been chosen but honestly GWR fans are so well catered for both with kits and ready to run locos. It makes one think that the GWR was the only company worth looking at.

I know that I will get a lot of flack from this post but....

Rod

• Like 1

ANOTHER GWR loco...oh goody!

WHY do manufacturers duplicate stuff? Only recently we have seen JLTRT announce ANOTHER Black 5........that makes about ten models available...and where, oh where is the LNER V2??????

I welcome the news that Heljan are to introduce a steam loco but oh no not another GWR Prairie! There are many locos that could have been chosen but honestly GWR fans are so well catered for both with kits and ready to run locos. It makes one think that the GWR was the only company worth looking at.

I know that I will get a lot of flack from this post but....

Rod

Hi Rod, :)

Although, primarily a WR/GWR modeller, I tend to agree with you.

A RTR large Prarrie would be a 'nice to have' on a budget, my budget, yet I would have thought, as I have said before that a M7 at Dapol/Ixion prices would be a winner, especially as Dapol has done the Terrier - also the M7 doesnt have any complex valve gear to contend with.

I shall be interested to see what the price of the HJ Prarrie will be - as I assume that it will be mainly injection moulded plastic so will sit in a different market segment to the Lionheart small Prarrie?

ANOTHER GWR loco...oh goody!

WHY do manufacturers duplicate stuff? Only recently we have seen JLTRT announce ANOTHER Black 5........that makes about ten models available...and where, oh where is the LNER V2??????

Jeff, duplication concerns me and apparently some of the manufacturers too - especially as the market place for 7mm is finite, as is the money and intent to purchase within.

Perhaps the market has some room for segmentisation, ie the same/similar loco (built in different materials to different standards) at eg. £250. £600, £2500 - yet I doubt that.

Some of the editors of the mainstream mags say that duplication is inevitable and perhaps, due to anti-competition laws and confidentiality, it will be, yet it seems to have reached epic proportions - how many 9Fs in 7mm (kit and RTR)? - and I fear that it will end in tears for some.

As the market is finite I wouldnt want to see any manufacturers of 7mm products go to the wall, as that wont be good for any of us - lets hope that it dosent come to that.

ATVB

CME :)

If the Prarie does well then it could lead on to other steam models, it might not be what you want now but hopefully something will follow.

I think it shows the GW is still a very popular modelling subject.

Two manufacturers now producing RTR steam using 4mm injected moulded plastic techniques who would have thought!!

Could be 3 if the J94 makes an appearance from D Jones

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

£650 for a large prairie? Me, me, me, yes, yes, YES, meeeee! I shall be talking to Tower quite soon.

It compares reasonably with kit prices - Warren Shepherd kit, £300, ABC motor/ gearbox, £80?, Slaters wheels, £90, - £470 plus paint solder, flux, bits of wire, pickups, & other fiddly bits, plus DCC sound decoder which I guess is an add on to the Heljan price too. Few months to build...., but that's all part of the fun!

Sounds great.

Simon

• Like 1

I've been going through my Russel books and many others. Cylinder size was the same as was the wheels 5'8" the 61 batch was built with 25lb more boiler pressure. Some of the earlier engines in the 51 series are different with square front ends.

The 31 / 3150 series had 5'3" wheels.