Motherwell 37s with silver/grey roofs

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In 1979, Motherwell painted several 37s with silver or rail grey roofs. I can confirm 37137/154/156/157 received them. Were there any others ?

It's a time since you asked, but as you don't seem to have had any answers, this shot maybe of interest.

The small collection of Dad's photos of 37s can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/508771

It is quite difficult to work out what is silver and what is shiny blue reflecting the grey sky, but this one does look different to the rest!

There are approximately 350 class 37 photos in the ipernity group 'Class 37 diesel locos'

http://www.ipernity.com/group/329583/doc

post-14351-0-90535700-1455477386_thumb.jpg

It's a time since you asked, but as you don't seem to have had any answers, this shot maybe of interest.

The small collection of Dad's photos of 37s can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/508771

It is quite difficult to work out what is silver and what is shiny blue reflecting the grey sky, but this one does look different to the rest!

There are approximately 350 class 37 photos in the ipernity group 'Class 37 diesel locos'

http://www.ipernity.com/group/329583/doc

yeah that livery does have a grey roof, but it came probably 5 years later than the OP was asking for. In that livery with the large logo, yellow cabsides and black windscreens it was fairly standard to have a light-grey roof but there were of course exceptions too.

The West Highland terrier shows the loco in the pic was based at Glasgow Eastfield depot, the Motherwell ones had a leaping salmon with a ring in its mouth.

Back in 1979 would have been very much the Corporate Blue era and nearly everything would have been covered in Blue paint so it would have been very unusual for anything to have escaped with anything more being a different colour than just the yellow ends

• RMweb Gold

yeah that livery does have a grey roof, but it came probably 5 years later than the OP was asking for. In that livery with the large logo, yellow cabsides and black windscreens it was fairly standard to have a light-grey roof but there were of course exceptions too.

The West Highland terrier shows the loco in the pic was based at Glasgow Eastfield depot, the Motherwell ones had a leaping salmon with a ring in its mouth.

Back in 1979 would have been very much the Corporate Blue era and nearly everything would have been covered in Blue paint so it would have been very unusual for anything to have escaped with anything more being a different colour than just the yellow ends

Thanks for clarifying that. I am not well up on the differences in classes and liveries. I am quite prepared for photos that I offer to be ruled out, but if I don't show what I have in Dad's albums, people might miss out on something of interest. Have a good weekend, Gordon.

• 2 weeks later...

In 1979, Motherwell painted several 37s with silver or rail grey roofs. I can confirm 37137/154/156/157 received them. Were there any others ?

Loco roof colour is always very subjective, especially once it gets dirty/wet etc. The daylight conditions/reflections on a given day will also affect what colour the roof appears to be.  Rail Grey was also quite commonly referred to as "Silver Grey" 

Do you have any photo links showing actual "Sliver" roofs on 37 137/154/156/157 ? 

Edit:

These 37's were originally spruced up for a Royal Train special at IS TMD - which included unusual SILVER roofs. 

• 4 months later...

Found another one, splitbox 37026, another ML allocated machine in 1979.

Archived