Revolution proposing Class 21 and 29 in N Gauge

Revolution Ben

I have been following this one on the N Gauge Forum.  Provided there are green options I will certainly be placing a pre order.  My first choice is the 21, but I would have a 29 if that appeared first.  Ideally both!!  The Langley body kit, which I bought ready built some years ago and place around a 25/3 chassis could do with a better replacement.  Whether or not they ran down from Girvan, I will certainly run it into Portpatrick Town!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

2 questions - how do folks go about expressing interest?

Also, is your website down - clicking the link at bottom of your post gives "Error establishing a database connection" ?

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

Follow the link to our website - it all seems to be working here - or use the direct link to the expressions of interest form that I gave earlier in this thread ie: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/class-2129/class-2129-expressions-of-interest/

Cheers, Mike

Presumably we can also add the Ballachulish branch?

The RMWeb railways of Scotland section also suggests they operated down the Strathspey line which brings with it distilleries and industrial steam (I was looking for an excuse for a DJM Hudswell Clarke) One of Ian Futers' books also has a picture of the Strathspey branch passenger made up of a 26 and one coach as well so all very modelable in a small space.

A small plank, a 21, a 26, a, Hudswell Clarke, a maroon Stanier brake,  a few Dapol grain wagons and  farish vans and 16t wagons- what more could anyone want for a small project?

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably we can also add the Ballachulish branch?

Rob

As far as I'm aware they were never used on the Ballachulish branch—I think the 27s were the only diesels used there; before that 2MT 2-6-0s were employed—but they did appear on Oban trains, though from photographic evidence always in pairs.

Single 29s were widely used on the West Highland in the late 60s—apparently at this time they were more popular with the crews than the 27s as they rode better.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

Ben/Red Death,

You say you plan on having the OO and N gauge versions at the same time and the N gauge appearing in the Dapol range in 2 years. Does this mean that this project will speed up the OO project or could it delay it while they wait for N gauge expression of interest results. Are you looking at the being release within 2 years and if so is that how far Dapol are still away from finishing the OO gauge version?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Spackz:  I have no idea about the OO project other than I know they are doing one and would assume they can use some of the research to ensure our model is accurate.

I am sure Dapol want their OO model out as soon as possible, but of course to some extent we will be driving the N Gauge one a a stand-alone project whereas their OO one may have to wait its turn in the queue of standard models .  Certainly if we reach our target and are able to proceed I would not expect the N gauge model to be behind the OO version, though it depends of course how much progress they've already made in 4mm.

Rob:  At the moment we haven't configured the website to be able to display a running total of the sign up - but last I heard (earlier today) it was about 120.  10% of the way there for the first model - not bad for just three days...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Rob:  At the moment we haven't configured the website to be able to display a running total of the sign up - but last I heard (earlier today) it was about 120.  10% of the way there for the first model - not bad for just three days...

cheers

Ben A.

10% in three days is an excellent outcome. I have expressed interest in 2 x 21 and 2 x 29

Hope the London and EA modellers get behind this one as well as Scottish modellers. Scope for WCML too.

Well done guys, hope this is as successful as your previous endeavours.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I have been sent these images by the Great North of Scotland Railway Association, with permission to post them.  They are rather atmospheric and if they don't tempt you into a 21 then I suspect nothing will!

Carron, October 1964.  Courtesy GNSRA/Mike Stephen.

post-420-0-39960400-1442358654_thumb.jpg

Maud Junction, 1965.  Courtesy GNSRA/Mike Stephen.

post-420-0-95606500-1442358658_thumb.jpg

Mintlaw, May 1965.  Courtesy GNSRA/Mike Stephen.

post-420-0-49330000-1442358678_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 11

Hi Sulzer27jd,

Thanks for spotting that - map redrawn now.

If anyone else spots any mistakes, or can add other routes these locos were used on, please let us know!

cheers

Ben A.

You've also missed off the Mallaig extension. Also photographic evidence of workings through Hadley Wood, Hornsey, Harringay West, King's Cross

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I have redrawn the map to include Mallaig and have corrected the errors around Peterhead, bearing in mind it is only a symbolic representation.

I have added the Lowestoft loop, but as the map features a generic "London" I am assuming this combines all termini.

post-420-0-63935200-1442412102_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Grimyninef,

We don't want any money now.  Just go to our website www.revoluitiontrains.com and go to the 21/29 page where you can register your interest.

Then, if we reach the threshold, we will invite everyone to firm up their orders with a deposit and press the button to start the proper CAD drawings.

We are not Kickstarter, so any time limits are self imposed, but we do need to encourage people to step up, so we will probably impose a time limit on pledging at some point, maybe after 10 weeks.  If we do though we will give plenty of warning.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As with the Pendolino that we have successfully funded and which is now in tooling, the secret to making this model happen is getting the word out, so anyone who might be interested is at least aware of the project.

I have already sent out some flyers to people, with more going out tomorrow, but please PM me if you're attending a show, or a member of a club, and want some stuff to take along.

Similarly, here is a poster which can be downloaded, printed and fixed to a layout, on the wall of a club or wherever.  If you support this project and want to see it happen please help us by just telling everyone you know, who might be interested, about it.   I have made it printer friendly by removing lots of the block colour from our own TINGS display stand posters!

post-420-0-81723600-1442870612_thumb.jpg

It might happen; it might not, but I would hate to see it fail and then here a chorus of "if only I had known I'd have pledged for a dozen...!"

cheers

Ben A.

Ben, youve said to keep the questions coming so not sure if thats in general or just regarding the announcements so far but what would you say to new liveries of Dapols superb Class 86?

Specifically I was thinking of InterCity Executive livery as opposed to the Swallow livery which would match up nicely to the Farish Mk2f coaches due out in 2016.  Exactly the sort of loco that would have hauled them on the WCML.

Im not sure if its the RRP of previous Dapol runs of this model that translated into alleged slow sales, the livery choices that were to blame (including the lack of early version tooling) or lack of interest in N gauge AC locos generally as everyone has a different take on this but certainly pricewise every time I see one on ebay they always sell.  Somebody wants them and buys them.......Im sure interest would be high an executive liveried version and personally I think that it would be a shame if the model was left just with its original 5 liveries plus the C&M specials in BR blue when the tooling was so good to begin with.  Fair enough if modellers felt the basic shape was a poor effort like the Heljan 00 model but the Dapol 2mm version was a spot on effort.

Besides CornishTrains needs some for his model of Euston!   Surely thats justification enough to put it up on the white board at RevolutioN?! 

Essentially it would be a pledge situation for a new livery on an existing tooling - a premium I would pay rather than buy a used one cheap on ebay and then try and repaint it myself to a high standard.  My only concern is the look of those oversized pantographs but maybe thats taking things too far.

86101 Sir Williams Stanier FRS in Blue might also make a good limited run and can be modelled on the Hull Trains short rake services that ran on the ECML and of course the WCML in its earlier days minus the roof bottles etc. Just putting some ideas out there.

Edited by ThaneofFife