Revolution proposing Class 21 and 29 in N Gauge

Revolution Ben

I suspect that the existing Class 22 is likely to be a better guide to what can be expected of the 21/29 since it is in N gauge and shares a certain "family resemblance" with its diesel-electric cousins.

CADs are useful for showing progress made and also for getting feedback but in terms of a finished product, I think Dapol's existing N Gauge line gives people a reasonable place to put their expectations.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Spackz,

I think there is a lot of sense in what you say.  In a scenario where a good quality OO model is released the idea of something in N becomes significantly more tangible and yes, in those circumstances it may well be worth revisiting the scheme.

On the other hand, even if we fail there is nothing to stop Dapol deciding to do the model in N anyway, or indeed of another manufacturer taking the same view.

Even though Mike and I work fairly hard to generate interest in these projects both online and in the magazines we are under no illusions that a huge number of potential customers are the kind of people who like to just go into their local model shop and buy what they see and like.  Crowd-funding methodology will not reach those people.  So it could be argued that our figures are only an indication of a significantly larger potential market.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Just to say service agents have always been helpful with supply of parts and advice to me. I have bought most if not all examples of all MI models in the last 20 years from the manufacturers and quite a few from individual traders/ repainters  as funds have allowed and replacing split gears on the older Poole Farish models is the most regular task. Newer models with the plethora of differing gears and wheel types give own problems with now an increased stock holding!

Dapol models have been as good and Dapol Dave did lift the bar and the current staff do the same but all made mistakes in the earlier era or more commonly compromises to keep costs reasonable.26 and 27 have same chassis baseplate but battery boxes differ. Mk3 roof compromise and of course the RUB/ TRUB/ TRSB compromise.  but all have kept running and have done exhibiton service at Warley shows.  

I have off ebay bought non runners and the majority were fine with some requiring a diode to be changed or in the case of a Farish 150 cleaning static grass out of the bogie... I do wonder how some folk treat the models they purchase.

Staff for all the major suppliers and traders I have spoken too have been most helpful and parts and advice willingly supplied.  

It is a shame that "Drsdan" reports so many problems but certainly not my experience .

To put on record I have had during Dave era and beyond been involved on the outer fringes of Dapols models as a volunteer researcher and my comments are purely my personal experience.

Robert 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

We've just put the initial reflections on the results of the expressions of interest for the 21/29 and 320/321/456 on our website.

Short version:

Class 21/29 - unfortunately we were so far away from targets that whichever way we ran the numbers they just did not stack up.

You can see much more detail on our website.

Cheers, Mike

Mike/Ben

Really disappointed at the 21/29 news but thank you for giving it a go.

Whether your choice of manufacturer had an impact we'll never know- recent criticism of Dapol across several releases in all scales  can't have helped but the logic of going with them was sound in my view- for what it's worth I have a couple of 22s and multitudinous 26/27s and they're the best locos I have. I would have had no hesitation at buying further Dapol Bo-Bos, especially with Revolution overseeing the development.

What I find interesting, and this might not be the place for that discussion  is that the 21/29, as far as I can see, shouldn't be any more of an outside bet than the 17 or 23. Hopefully those will work out well for DJM and give a manufacturer the confidence to return to the 21/29 as options for new-tooling diesels get fewer and fewer.

Again, thanks for stepping up and seeing if this could be done. If there's a plus side, I now have the spare funds for a 320.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Yes, I am pretty disappointed myself as I did quite fancy a 21 and/or a 29.

I also think that while we did not get there, there are plenty of modellers who will be unaware of this project and I would not necessarily say that this result precludes another manufacturer taking a shot!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben and Mike ,

Thanks for investing time, effort and money with these projects, hopefully 321 will wash but sadly it seems the 21/29 will not perhaps the good guys at Dapol will pick up the batten with 4mm model and fit in the "shrink ray" at some point.  At least you have shown the core level for internet based commnuication on the project but as you have noted still a proportion will be unaware.

regards

Robert 

Hi Ben & Mike,

I, like others who have already posted here, am also gutted that the 29 failed to make the cut.  :cry:

As Robert said, I also hope that Dapol will pick up where you have left off once the 4mm 21/29 is released and hopefully will sell well.

I'm looking forward to the release and fully intend to buy a couple of the green types.

Thanks for attempting the seemingly impossible (it now seems) of stirring up the N gauge community with what would have been a very exciting project.

Pepsi

Would there be any mileage in only supplying an unpowered version? If it were made like a coach rather than a locomotive, it would not need money spent on developing a drive train etc. The development and production costs ought to be lower, so you might not need to sell so many.

There are photos of these running in tandem with other locos - and just parked in sidings, so supplying only an unpowered one might not be as crazy as it sounds.

I am sure clever people could make them powered - someone might develop an etched chassis kit, or suggest a way of converting an existing chassis to power them.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Echo,

The drive train would be pretty identical to the 22 - motor, PCB, gears. That has already been tooled and just needs to be made.

The expensive bit is to tool the new body, bogie sideframes and batteryboxes, and you need those whether powered or unpowered.

cheers

Ben A.

Sorry to hear that this one did not reach the threshold (although good news about the 320/321).

Do you have plans to run another invitation of interest on a replacement project or are you going to concentrate on your viable projects for the time being?

For those who really really want one, All I can suggest is have another expression of interest form, If those numbers are suitable, have a high def 3D print made of the body, chassis and bogies. Then get them cast and sold as kits, motorized bogies are sold by BullAnt and many others, whilst custom ones are a bit expensive, I think having a batch made would be cheaper in the long run.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

The class 24/25 are 28' bogie centres, 8'6" bogie w/b; 21/29 differs only in having 28'6" bogie centres. Near ideal powerplant if it can be 'dressed' with the external parts to represent classes 21 and 29

I did the same in 4mm some years ago using a Hornby Class 29 body with a Bachmann Class 25 chassis fitted with the Hornby bogie sideframes and battery box.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed Revolution last month but they didn't bother replying, good customer service, not!

Maybe you've just been unlucky - in my experience their customer service has been exemplary.  Also their interaction with potential customers on this and other forums is second to none. 

Have you tried sending a PM to either Mike or Ben? 

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I emailed Revolution last month but they didn't bother replying, good customer service, not!

Hi

Do you know the email was received? Email is not a guaranteed delivery method.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about that - I have no idea what your name or email is so please feel free to PM if you prefer.

Please bear in mind that we are two people doing this in our spare time (we both have other full time jobs).  Also at the end of last month we were processing large quantities of orders and making decisions on the 21/29 and 320/321 projects so it may be that we either missed your email or didn't receive it.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a Langley class 29, I've just ordered a body kit from them & was wondering if you get a choice of cab fronts?

I bought a completed body, and fitted it to a Farish 25/3 chassis - not perfect but....     The ends are original ones with discs, interconnecting door.  Which suggests the 21 rather than most of the 29s with their 4 character indicators boxes.   I cannot say whether there is a choice of end in an unmade kit.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got a Langley class 29, I've just ordered a body kit from them & was wondering if you get a choice of cab fronts?

Hi all,

A better start point would be the Worsley Works etched body.

As for which chassis - up to you to choose but a Class 21 chassis will fit, or a class 25, or a class 33.

you pay your money and take the choice.

Langley Class 22 has always appeared wrong to me - only had the early noses in the kit last time I built one.

Thanks

With any Langley kit you need to remember that when these first came out they needed to make a huge number of compromises to get the body to fit on whatever chassis was available.

In their day they were brilliant.  Times have moved on.

Take care not to get in the game of rubbishing a Morris Minor 1000 because it isn't the latest BMW 3 series....

Les

Edited by Les1952

With any Langley kit you need to remember that when these first came out they needed to make a huge number of compromises to get the body to fit on whatever chassis was available.

In their day they were brilliant.  Times have moved on.

Take care not to get in the game of rubbishing a Morris Minor 1000 because it isn't the latest BMW 3 series....

Les

No indeed, although if you want a regular car you should go for the Beamer. If you are into classic cars and are happy that it will rust like nobody's business, then plump for the Minor.

Chris

No indeed, although if you want a regular car you should go for the Beamer. If you are into classic cars and are happy that it will rust like nobody's business, then plump for the Minor.

Chris

I bet that the are more Morris 1000's around than BMW's of the same vintage, as for rust, those problems started when the government interfered and BMC was the result.

Regards,

Alex