Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

Just been having a look at the CAD drawings in the flyer from Telford.

Not sure about the area under the buffer beam or the width of the two grills by the doors.  They don't quite look right compared to the scale drawings I have ... but it could just be the size of the images and the inclusion of the snow ploughs (which are hopefully seperate items).

I've been looking forward to this one for quite a while as I don't think I could do the JLTRT kit justice.

Hopefully there will be some better CAD images to view soon.

• 1 month later...

Test shots are now up on the tower website ... not sure how to link to them from here tho ... not sure about the area around the bottom of the end, but that could just be the angle of the pics.  Looks a bit too flat?

Edited by Jack

Just initially looking at the photos - to me the side cab/drivers windows look oversized - unless it is the thickness of the surrounds to these windows that make them look unusual....especially on the photo of 25046 in Blue on Tower's site (in the Heljan 25/1 section). The angle of the photograph might be something to do with it though so you can't say completely.

I see the front window glazing don't seem to fit too well in these latest photos - just like the class 31!!!! - I can't believe they can't do better in that respect for a £500 loco - especially as a few years ago now they produced in my eyes lovely front glazing in the class 33. I just had to make new front glazing for my 31 in the end!

Of course it is never easy to please everyone (which I fully understand) but I don't think doors on the front of the blue one will help sales for those wanting to create TOPS versions. A look at various photographs suggest most 25/1's had the doors plated over by the time TOPS numbering appeared. A bit of filing/fillering/repainting may be needed for many people and certainly not everyone wants to do that to a new £500 loco.

Edited by deltic17

Seems to me that if it's Heljan, there just has to be some error with it, somewhere. :rolleyes: :mad:

Fortunately I'm immune to temptation in this case; the new centre-headcode 37, however... :O :yes:

Yes - it sounds like I'm in the same boat but it is always interesting to observe what appears in O guage - my modelling is based around the North East in the late 70's/early 80's and class 25's were pretty rare so I am immune to temptation too.

Yes - it sounds like I'm in the same boat but it is always interesting to observe what appears in O guage - my modelling is based around the North East in the late 70's/early 80's and class 25's were pretty rare so I am immune to temptation too.

They were even rarer in the Mid-Western USA :O :D which is where most of my modelling is based!!! But I have a soft spot for the Forest of Dean and it's railways; although Rats did go there in the last few years of BR workings, it was a Syphon pulled out the last train - 37 270, centre-headcode and buffer skirts; well it was 1976. So I'm very tempted there.

Quite where a 31 fits in, I don't know, but I really wanted one of those, too - saved for ages!! Despite all the nay-saying fault finders on here & a.n.other Forum, I really like my HJ 31 :P

From Heljan:

O class 25 - first samples received

We have recently received the first 'running' samples of our forthcoming 'O' BR class 25 diesel electric.

In order to portray a better idea of how the finished models will look the sample has been painted, although note that the blue liveried example will have black, not red buffer beams. 

Please note that there are amendments required to the model which will include the fit of the glazing.

The final production models will be supplied un-numbered but with other livery embellishments and headcodes pre-fitted. 

The proposed models are;

2550 - BR class 25 in early, plain green livery (Tower Models exclusive)

2551 - BR class 25 in BR green livery with small yellow panels

2552 - BR class 25 in BR green livery with full yellow ends

2553 - BR class 25 in BR blue livery with full yellow ends

Planned release is for 3Q 2016 with a suggested SRP of £625.00

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 6

Brian, a serious question, if I may (though I quite appreciate you may not be able to answer it).

Will the glazing of the actual model be closer to the panel surface? At the moment it is recessed very far....

Thanks,

Giles

Guest G567281

I best get the filler out for the gangway doors :)

Not required for me as I will do a pre-TOPS blue livery. It will need two arrows of indecision on each side however. Lovely looking models I must say. Brian's paint finishing has a lot to do with it, but nice non the less.

Alan

Test shots are now up on the tower website ... not sure how to link to them from here tho ... not sure about the area around the bottom of the end, but that could just be the angle of the pics.  Looks a bit too flat?

OK, I've had time to dig out the scale drawings.  The cab front either side of the nose door is supposed to curve away.  It looks like the Heljan model has a completly flat front end around the door (below the windows).  To see what I mean, look at the bottom of the cab above the buffer beam.  I'm still hoping this is an optical illusion, especially as my ealier concerns about grills appear unfounded.

Whilst livery issues arn't difficult to correct, body shape ones are a different matter!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have to agree the fronts look totally wrong with the flat fronts. Do Heljan have a reputation for correcting such large fundamental flaws?

I feel it seems wrong that the 4mm scale new Rail Exclusive model looks so much better shaped and detailed than the 7mm Heljan model appears to be? My first thought when seeing the new RE model is that it must be 7mm scale. The Heljan model in the above photo looks to me like an average 4mm model

No - unfortunately not!! :(

Spot on there F-UnitMad - I'm no class 25 expect and I don't even want a 25 but, if so, it is a shame to see pretty basic shape errors being spotted with no chance of correction because that is the normal Heljan approach. I know Brian tries his best with corrections etc prior to production but it seems the main body shape is rarely changed once it appears.

I think one problem with the blue 25 will be more people would probably prefer a version without connecting doors and not everyone wants to get the filler out on a £500+ loco/repaint etc

The 'flat front' would show up even worse on a "doorless" cab with large centre window (25/3 if memory serves??)

Is part of the general problem with Heljan a lack of competition? The only alternatives are generally kits, some with their own issues, others like JLTRT rather more expensive once motors/gears/wheels included, although that gap is closing (by HJ prices going up!!) But I wonder if HJ's indifferent approach is due to the fact there is no competing R-T-R Manufacturer, in the way that there is Bachmann-vs-Hornby in OO, & Dapol-vs-Grafar in N. Maybe the sooner Dapol get their 08 in the shops, & hopefully follow it up with a 'big' diesel, HJ might have to get their act together a bit more...

Hmmmm.... not sure, as it's dark out, but I think a squadron of pigs just flew past... :jester: :D

I contacted Heljan when the pics first started circulating ... needless to say there was no reply.  Given the RRP if the error doesn't get fixed then i will spend my money with JLTRT instead.