Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

Plans are afoot F-Unit, plans are afoot.

:O aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!! Talk about dangling a carrot...!!! :O you can''t just post a comment like that & leave it hanging!! :nono: :jester:

What plans?? By whom?? We need to know!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

OK, I've had time to dig out the scale drawings.  The cab front either side of the nose door is supposed to curve away.  It looks like the Heljan model has a completly flat front end around the door (below the windows).  To see what I mean, look at the bottom of the cab above the buffer beam.  I'm still hoping this is an optical illusion, especially as my ealier concerns about grills appear unfounded.

Whilst livery issues arn't difficult to correct, body shape ones are a different matter!

http://www.derbysulzers.com/5188bwcab.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The 'flat front' would show up even worse on a "doorless" cab with large centre window (25/3 if memory serves??)

Is part of the general problem with Heljan a lack of competition? The only alternatives are generally kits, some with their own issues, others like JLTRT rather more expensive once motors/gears/wheels included, although that gap is closing (by HJ prices going up!!) But I wonder if HJ's indifferent approach is due to the fact there is no competing R-T-R Manufacturer, in the way that there is Bachmann-vs-Hornby in OO, & Dapol-vs-Grafar in N. Maybe the sooner Dapol get their 08 in the shops, & hopefully follow it up with a 'big' diesel, HJ might have to get their act together a bit more...

Hmmmm.... not sure, as it's dark out, but I think a squadron of pigs just flew past... :jester: :D

It's never stopped Bachmann getting stuff spectacularly wrong before in 4mm...........how many releases of the 37 are we now on? 101 anyone? To be honest Heljan just seem indifferent, at best, to their customers constructive comments. I remember seeing the first EP samples of the 4mm 86 a few years back at an exhibition and asking some pointed questions on their stand. I just received a few shrugs, muttered Danish at each other and " We don't know" to me.

cheers

Andy

The 'flat front' would show up even worse on a "doorless" cab with large centre window (25/3 if memory serves??)

Is part of the general problem with Heljan a lack of competition? The only alternatives are generally kits, some with their own issues, others like JLTRT rather more expensive once motors/gears/wheels included, although that gap is closing (by HJ prices going up!!) But I wonder if HJ's indifferent approach is due to the fact there is no competing R-T-R Manufacturer, in the way that there is Bachmann-vs-Hornby in OO, & Dapol-vs-Grafar in N. Maybe the sooner Dapol get their 08 in the shops, & hopefully follow it up with a 'big' diesel, HJ might have to get their act together a bit more...

Hmmmm.... not sure, as it's dark out, but I think a squadron of pigs just flew past... :jester: :D

As the time drawers near for the Dapol 08 arriving, I was discussing something along the same lines about Dapol possibly making Heljan sit up and take notice as they enter the RTR market in 7mm, I will wait to see a 25 in the flesh first before committing any money to it, as I also would like a JLTRT 22 on my layout, which made me wonder whether Dapol will bring out a 7mm version, as they have already done the 2mm & 4mm scales.

Craig.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I've had time to dig out the scale drawings.  The cab front either side of the nose door is supposed to curve away.  It looks like the Heljan model has a completly flat front end around the door (below the windows).  To see what I mean, look at the bottom of the cab above the buffer beam.  I'm still hoping this is an optical illusion, especially as my ealier concerns about grills appear unfounded.

Whilst livery issues arn't difficult to correct, body shape ones are a different matter!

Does this look ok compared to your drawings?

post-17823-0-69746300-1471454166_thumb.jpg post-17823-0-61115900-1471454161_thumb.jpg

I've looked at the drawings in the relevant MLI (177)and sadly the Heljan model does seem a little lacking in the front curve department..

Here is the front curvature in to those drawings - am I the only one thinking there is something not quite right there?

post-17823-0-31380600-1471466534_thumb.jpg

Unless someone can kindly provide evidence from an official drawing, I am resigned to an outing to measure up the nearest rat (sadly a lot more than 10ft away  :yes: ) to decide for myself.

• RMweb Gold

The face of the Heljan Class 25 is totally incorrect. It's a real pity for those who wanted one...What's worse is that Heljan were informed about the issue well in advance.

Indeed - I would have had one but it just looks wrong in the photos I have seen. Maybe it will be better in the flesh..

Edited by Gilbert

Another "Glad I didn't want one Anyway" loco from Heljan. :rolleyes: ;)

Haven't almost all their locos after the Hymek had some minor detail errors on them?? But this one is a major error by anyone's definition, & surely not easy to 'overlook'??!! I think they just might have shot themselves in the foot big time with this model. They really do need some serious competition in R-T-R diesels to make them buck up their ideas. Otherwise they just keep getting away with slipshod stuff like this.

Edit: Just read back a bit & realised I've more-or-less repeated what I posted back in December. D'oh!! It's my age, you know... it ain't called the 'Senior Scale' for nothing. :mosking:

Edited by F-UnitMad

I have HJ to thank (I think that is the word) for getting me into O guage diesels as I purchased a class 47 when they came out and I have spent far too much of my money since their way.....

BUT.....

HJ really need to do better research - especially when so many of us point out these problems but nothing is ever done it seems with original basic shape once produced. Brian tries his best with as much as he can but can obviously only go so far. When you hear a new model is to be produced you just have to pray they don't mess it up too much (thankfully the upcoming Peak looks pretty decent). I've said it before but they should have cleaned up with their Mk1 coaches but they got the shape wrong so I sold mine and have been buying 2ndhand Brassworks ones which I will have to repaint into Blue/Grey. I have had to cut the cabs off my class 40 and refit them to get them at the correct angle - why should I have to do that with a £500+ loco??. The Class 31 seems a few mm too low compared to all my other diesels. A bit more time spent on Research & Development could be easily recouped + lots more with a spot on model being produced in the end. I know Dapol have been doing their 08 for years but atleast it looks like they have been prepared to go back to the drawing board (probably since Richard Webster got involved) and it really looks like a spot on model will be produced - shape wise and they should sell loads and loads of them. It all depends on your level of modelling but most of us O guagers want top notch for the money we are asked to pay. Another problem with the 25 was what version to produce with the different cab fronts etc. That might have split the market almost in half too. Obviously in the interests of HJ and O guage I wish HJ well with their 25 but it could have been so much better if they could just listen to forums such as these and take on board what is said.

Next - it is a little way off but I'm just hoping they don't mess up their 03 - otherwise I'll be on the lookout for another Brassworks one.

• Like 2

Here is the front curvature in to those drawings - am I the only one thinking there is something not quite right there?

attachicon.gif25.jpg

Unless someone can kindly provide evidence from an official drawing, I am resigned to an outing to measure up the nearest rat (sadly a lot more than 10ft away  :yes: ) to decide for myself.

Those drawings are of the 25/3, but lookng at the drawings of the 25/1 in other books the curvature is very similar.

The face of the Heljan Class 25 is totally incorrect. It's a real pity for those who wanted one...What's worse is that Heljan were informed about the issue well in advance.

I'm guessing they decided to take a punt at not altering the tooling due to cost, shame tho.

Indeed - I would have had one but it just looks wrong in the photos I have seen. Maybe it will be better in the flesh..

I'm hoping to get to Telford, so will have a look at one before I order, or maybe I'll go for the JLTRT kit before they all sell out!!

Edited by Jack